House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

Daytime Running Lamps - Easy Wiring Job?

Thinking about getting daytime running lamps, but not sure how easy they are to wire in so that they come on automatically with the engine. Sounds like it would be easy.

Anyone with any knowledge, would appreciate finding out -

1. Any tips at all on how to wire it in and how long it takes

2. Is a switch needed, seems on eBay some are selling an auto switch in addition to lights, these are to switch off the DRL if the sidelights come on I presume? I just wire this in between the DRL and sidelight feed?

eg lights http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-CAR-DRL-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LED-FRONT-LIGHTS-LAMP-STRIP-/130545498347?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e651e38eb

eg switch http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRL-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LIGHT-AUTO-SWITCH-RELAY-HEADLIGHT-CONTROL-/230676955663?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b56b020f

Why on Earth do you want to have daytime running lamps???

Having seen them In Sweden at best they are a nuisance and at worst they usually dazzle.

If another driver or pedestrian cannot see your car in broad daylight they need to go to an optician.

If all else fails...buy a Volvo, they are boxy but very safe....Yawn!

Having seen them In Sweden at best they are a nuisance and at worst they usually dazzle.

If another driver or pedestrian cannot see your car in broad daylight they need to go to an optician.

If all else fails...buy a Volvo, they are boxy but very safe....Yawn!

Have you noticed even the old buses now have their lights on in the day, and of the course the law says new cars have to have them. Must be a road safety advantage to it, although obviously you have a point re needing an optician :lol: I always put my dipped beam on when driving past a busy school at home time, I find it reduces the number of kids trying to run out in fron of my car to zero, and yes I do slow right down as well

I believe it will be EU law in the near future that every vehicle has it's lights on during the day. My company already insists that lights be on all day regardless of the weather.

If I replace the conventional bulbs with LEDs for tail lights and side-lights, am I breaking MOT rules? If not, I've then got my DRLs without sapping much juice. I'd like LEDs for the indicators too but I think they don't flash right unless you put a relay in to compensate for the load difference

edit - apparently they aren't road legal if not fitted with the car from new and marked "E"

OK, the EU might be about to try and force another utterly pointless rule but I don't understand why anyone would want to do this until bullied into it. When it comes to wiring cars I'd rather work out how to undo such crap, like the pathetic warnings mine gives me for not having the seatbelt on (that includes thinking it's not being used if you've got a couple of bags of shopping on the passenger seat).

I seen it done on a older saab 93 where the person split the lights and placed the led strips in the lighting unit. I'll will try and find the thread on it.

I'm thinking of mounting a baby on board in the back windscreen.

I have no baby, but its sure to stop idiots smashing into the back of me.

That "little brat aboard" sign is apparently primarily aimed at emergency rescue workers to look for infants if a vehicle is involved in a crash, although I would've thought they comprehensively check vehicles anyway rather than rely on a bumper sticker to remind them

I seen it done on a older saab 93 where the person split the lights and placed the led strips in the lighting unit. I'll will try and find the thread on it.

I actually just want normal looking rounded DRLs, not Audi-style strips. Problem is everyone else thinks that style is terrific, so you can't buy any other style

"Ford, thank goodness, has resisted the rhetoric over daytime running lights (DRL's). There is very little evidence of a benefit, with some studies implicating DRL's as a contributing factor in increases of certain accident types. Bottom line is that DRL's are controversial at best - even GM has recently cataloged a "delete DRL" option.

You may want to take a look at http://www.motorists.org/issues/drl/index.html for a thorough discussion of why DRL's are not a good idea."

Read more...

http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?threadid=733

google is your friend....

Thanks, nice vid, but I should think for the UK the LEDs would have to disconnected come MOT time, unless that switch was wired in to turn the DRLs off when the sidelights or dipped beam come on. Useful vid though, nicely executed

Thanks, nice vid, but I should think for the UK the LEDs would have to disconnected come MOT time, unless that switch was wired in to turn the DRLs off when the sidelights or dipped beam come on. Useful vid though, nicely executed

I wouldn't have though it would be any issue with the MOT. I think there's only a specification of light colours not numbers.

You could just put high intensity led side lights in. If you did go for wiring in lamps you could just clip them to the side light wires with scotch clips rather than soldering and heat shrink tubing/taping.

Various big fleet operators have experimented with side lights on all the time and seem to have seen an accident rate reduction.

It's interesting because motorbikes often have lights on in daytime. It makes them stand out in traffic but you can see the effect being reduced if all vehicles are made to run DRL

Buckers

I'd agree with that. Restrict DRLs to slow-moving, large loads and motorbikes.

What effect will DRL's have on the visibility of pedal cyclists? I'd guess they will become near-invisible.

If I replace the conventional bulbs with LEDs for tail lights and side-lights, am I breaking MOT rules? If not, I've then got my DRLs without sapping much juice. I'd like LEDs for the indicators too but I think they don't flash right unless you put a relay in to compensate for the load difference

Tail lights no, sidelights yes. I fitted LEDs to all my car's exterior lights except the headlights a couple of years ago because I was sick and tired of the bulbs blowing (plus I managed to get a complete set on Ebay from China for around £15); and the subsequent MOT they failed the sidelights (beam too high) but had no problem with any of the others.

Tail lights no, sidelights yes. I fitted LEDs to all my car's exterior lights except the headlights a couple of years ago because I was sick and tired of the bulbs blowing (plus I managed to get a complete set on Ebay from China for around £15); and the subsequent MOT they failed the sidelights (beam too high) but had no problem with any of the others.

On some of the car interweb forums there's people saying that if the lights aren't marked with the E approval then the MOT is failed.

But you seem to have fitted LED tail lights, LED brake lights, LED turn signal indicators - and none were failed at the MOT? Just the too bright side lamps caused the failure? Also, did the indicators flash correctly with LEDs instead of filament bulbs?

Yes the flashers do work correctly, but that's because I bought LED bulbs with ballasts in them that enable them to trick the relays into thinking that they're normal filament bulbs. As a result they don't save any power compared to filament bulbs, but with a claimed 30,000 hour lifetime I will quite simply never have to worry about replacing them again, which was the object of the exercise. As I say, the only thing they failed my MOT on were the sidelight bulbs.

Yes the flashers do work correctly, but that's because I bought LED bulbs with ballasts in them that enable them to trick the relays into thinking that they're normal filament bulbs. As a result they don't save any power compared to filament bulbs, but with a claimed 30,000 hour lifetime I will quite simply never have to worry about replacing them again, which was the object of the exercise. As I say, the only thing they failed my MOT on were the sidelight bulbs.

I'm definitely going to buy some of those, and maybe the tail lights too. Thanks for the info

No idea if he was just in a good mood or whether this is a fact, but spoke to an MoT tester today, when I mentioned I want to get LED indicators and tail lights, he said "Don't think it would be a problem". Come MoT time I'll let you know if he remembers that remark...

No idea if he was just in a good mood or whether this is a fact, but spoke to an MoT tester today, when I mentioned I want to get LED indicators and tail lights, he said "Don't think it would be a problem". Come MoT time I'll let you know if he remembers that remark...

Why would you want to? They normal ones fail rarely enough for it to be worth bothering to change them, they're visible enough to other traffic to do their job, and I can't imagine that they put any noticeable drain on a car's performance (the fuel going into operating the electrics must be pretty minimal).

Guest eight

Why would you want to? They normal ones fail rarely enough for it to be worth bothering to change them, they're visible enough to other traffic to do their job, and I can't imagine that they put any noticeable drain on a car's performance (the fuel going into operating the electrics must be pretty minimal).

There appears to be some kind of visibility arms race going on. I consider the lights on our little car to be quite adequate but now, when being followed, it is quite usual to be able to see the shadow of our car in it's own headlamp beam - in other words, the car behind is lighting the road up further ahead than ours is. I would imagine that something like an Audi Q7 actually shines its headlamps clean over the top of our Fiat, if sufficiently close behind (which is how they invariably seem to be driven).

The LED flashers light that little bit quicker than filaments, but main reason is it makes the car seem more modern if it has a clean flash on-off LED (filaments light gradually, LEDs immediately) Of course it's a quirky unnecessary thing, but I want it .... mid-life crisis and all that ;) A Porsche and a 22 year old blonde Czech au pair called Inga are hopefully next

The LED flashers light that little bit quicker than filaments, but main reason is it makes the car seem more modern if it has a clean flash on-off LED (filaments light gradually, LEDs immediately) Of course it's a quirky unnecessary thing, but I want it .... mid-life crisis and all that ;) A Porsche and a 22 year old blonde Czech au pair called Inga are hopefully next

Fair enough then :) Although I think you've got your priorities wrong if you're going for new indicators first :)