House Price Crash Forum
ticket2ride

Ftse Suffers Worst Quarter Since 2002

What's the easiest way to buy the FTSE 100, get dividends and not pay mangement fees or leverage in any way?

You cant, if you buy the index it is by definition being managed to keep the weightings correct

You either

buy the shares and pay commission

buy a tracker and pay the management fee or

buy the index via CFD (theres nothing to say you have to leverage CFDs/SpreadBs) and pay the interest

The cheapest method above is the tracker if you really want to track the FTSE, all 3 methods above will pay the dividend

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

You cant, if you buy the index it is by definition being managed to keep the weightings correct

You either

buy the shares and pay commission

buy a tracker and pay the management fee or

buy the index via CFD (theres nothing to say you have to leverage CFDs/SpreadBs) and pay the interest

The cheapest method above is the tracker

...wrapped around an isa. ;)

...wrapped around an isa. ;)

or alternatively just tell the uk govt to fck off with their mickey mouse /convoluted tax system and move to a country with a tax system that doesnt go out of its way to destroy productivity

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

What's the easiest way to buy the FTSE 100, get dividends and not pay mangement fees or leverage in any way?

Depends what you mean by "buy the FTSE 100". The only way you can avoid fees will be to hold the shares yourself. If you want to hold the entire 100 in whatever weightings, that's a lot of transaction fees, divi handling and general faff with corporate actions. Better off buying a tracker and recognising that the .15% mgnt fee is probably less that your time would cost to sort it all out.

Alternatively, don't "buy the FTSE 100". Buy the good bits (which I define as those paying good divis, with a record of paying good divis and a likelihood of continuing to pay good divis). I think I hold about 25 (not all FTSE 100) or so and find the management to be simple.

good entry point probably. The ferocity and velocity of the crash coupled with major fear and negative sentiment usually proves a good buying point (if you can hang on through all the volatility - which is, quite frankly, pant browning at the moment)

I have invested quite heavily during the current downturn then dripped a bit more in when it dropped more again. Still have a bit of cash left for any more dips but need to wait a for a few months of earnings from my real job before investing more.

Odd really; according to every financial advisor test, I'm hideously risk averse. But I've found myself relatively sanguine watching my investments rise and fall in a day (sometimes both in the same day) by the equivalent of several months pay.

I think you become immune to the brown trouser effect eventually.