House Price Crash Forum

Coalition Prepares To "rethink" Child Benefit Cuts

White Craw

HOLA441

Each case is individual, I don't know anyone who has 50/50 shared care.

Maintenance is for the benefit of the child not a stick to beat the other parent with, but then so is access.

There are cases which are close to 50/50.

It is possible to care for a child more than their ex-partner, and not get child benefit. Then they get no tax credits and the CSA come after them, even if they are the lower earner. No equality in the system at all.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

There are cases which are close to 50/50.

It is possible to care for a child more than their ex-partner, and not get child benefit. Then they get no tax credits and the CSA come after them, even if they are the lower earner. No equality in the system at all.

I agree the system is appalling at the moment, nobody is happy with it myself included.

HOLA443

There is a dilemma for this country, the cost of living/existing in this country actually needs to be driven down, what really needs to be attacked is the government sponsored costs that keep the cost of living artificially high. This means taking money out of the economy, taking a hit on GDP and becoming more transparent... it has to happen because without out this happening the UK will remain uncompetitive.

It should be a concern that most of the bubble economies have had/are having their house price crashes, the UK remains in lala land, and so is badly placed fro any recovery.

HOLA444

FFS have you any idea what it's like to be a single parent ? Trust me £100 a week in benefits is not any one with half a brain cells idea of hitting the jackpot. As for the sperm donors, the bad old days of anyone being denied access to their child are long gone, abusive, violent, damaging parents of both sexes are handed down joint custody by the courts who seem to forget the small matter of enforcing maintenance at the same time and there lies the biggest problem.

Having recently been blessed with the arrival of my first child I have absolute respect for the level of work it must take to do it alone. However...

while i'm not saying the benefits are a fortune if you are a plain girl of low iq and its either have a kid. (and the council "has" to house you) or gut turkeys for bernie matthews for 40yrs then the choice is a simple one. And with the backing of the state to assume the role of provider why not just choose the good looking boy with the tricked out saxo as anyone else?

when we insulate people from the consequences of their bad decisions they are more likely to make bad decisions.

See bankers for example.

HOLA445

It was obvious from the start that this plan to cut child benefit for higher rate tax payers was only ever proposed to provide cover for other cuts to benefits for the poor and disabled, especially the ending of contribution based sickness benefits for a million people. It garnered huge publicity which allowed the governement to pretend that it was spreading the burden of cuts to the better off and led to the contemptible "We're all in it together". Now that the real benefit cuts have got through parliament these child benefit cuts can be quielty dropped as it's job done.

HOLA446

Having recently been blessed with the arrival of my first child I have absolute respect for the level of work it must take to do it alone. However...

while i'm not saying the benefits are a fortune if you are a plain girl of low iq and its either have a kid. (and the council "has" to house you) or gut turkeys for bernie matthews for 40yrs then the choice is a simple one. And with the backing of the state to assume the role of provider why not just choose the good looking boy with the tricked out saxo as anyone else?

when we insulate people from the consequences of their bad decisions they are more likely to make bad decisions.

See bankers for example.

The biggest myth of all ..... the council does not have to house you. They can provide B&B with a load of drug addicts, alcoholics and general low life's for you to share with, but that's it. In most area's there are no more council properties, haven't been for 10 years now.

HOLA447

The biggest myth of all ..... the council does not have to house you. They can provide B&B with a load of drug addicts, alcoholics and general low life's for you to share with, but that's it. In most area's there are no more council properties, haven't been for 10 years now.

Err ... b&b is housing.

The lack of council houses doesn't matter two dried turds when taxes can be spunked in to the pockets of private landlords instead.

Still I guess we will just have to wait until someone invents contraception before this thorny social issue can be resolved.