House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CleverBear

Todays Homes Under The Hammer

I was so annoyed watching homes under the hammer today. I dont know why I watch it on i-player but I guess it is a bit like car crash tv.

Two VERY annoying segments. Firstly, there is this complete joker who is basically a property investor. He bought this house in between two other plots he owned, with the aim of converting the whole lot into a load of terraced housing and selling it on. So strike 1 for being a greedy property developer. Then he says he recruits employment from poland and houses them in multiple occupancy accomadation he has (on the same site before he knocks this down). He uses these poles probably for low cost labour. Strike 2. Then he says he is going to let this new place he got out, whilst applying for planning permision to then knock down all the property on the plot and build his stupid terraced housing. Strike 3 for being a landlord who is happy for people to live somewhere just until he is ready to chuck them out to knock the place down (after all who said renting somewhere means its your home?)

Then the most annoying segment ever. One of the houses was a student let in salford. But all through the show the presenter was saying that student let isnt easy anymore because of all the great features students expect nowadays. The smug "the youth of nowadays are so spolit" attitude was so infuriating. One rough quote:

"I am concerned he has not installed all the fancy features students now seem to expect, like internet".

SO internet is a fancy feature now is it? How dare tenant expect such fancy features.

What a joke.

And on QE2. Its going to happen. And just like in 2010 it will push up house prices and inflation. Predictable joke behauvior from our joke leaders. King doesnt care because he has his nice inflation linked pension.

Lets face it, QE2 pretty much rules out a crash for another while. Seen as its main aim is to prop up asset (mainly house) prices. Martin wolf even said as much in the FT today. I can see houses being stagnant and inflation picking up. Then either wages will rise of house prices will fall slowly. I guess its still real term falls so it cant be all bad.

I was so annoyed watching homes under the hammer today. I dont know why I watch it on i-player but I guess it is a bit like car crash tv.

Two VERY annoying segments. Firstly, there is this complete joker who is basically a property investor. He bought this house in between two other plots he owned, with the aim of converting the whole lot into a load of terraced housing and selling it on. So strike 1 for being a greedy property developer. Then he says he recruits employment from poland and houses them in multiple occupancy accomadation he has (on the same site before he knocks this down). He uses these poles probably for low cost labour. Strike 2. Then he says he is going to let this new place he got out, whilst applying for planning permision to then knock down all the property on the plot and build his stupid terraced housing. Strike 3 for being a landlord who is happy for people to live somewhere just until he is ready to chuck them out to knock the place down (after all who said renting somewhere means its your home?)

Then the most annoying segment ever. One of the houses was a student let in salford. But all through the show the presenter was saying that student let isnt easy anymore because of all the great features students expect nowadays. The smug "the youth of nowadays are so spolit" attitude was so infuriating. One rough quote:

"I am concerned he has not installed all the fancy features students now seem to expect, like internet".

SO internet is a fancy feature now is it? How dare tenant expect such fancy features.

What a joke.

And on QE2. Its going to happen. And just like in 2010 it will push up house prices and inflation. Predictable joke behauvior from our joke leaders. King doesnt care because he has his nice inflation linked pension.

Lets face it, QE2 pretty much rules out a crash for another while. Seen as its main aim is to prop up asset (mainly house) prices. Martin wolf even said as much in the FT today. I can see houses being stagnant and inflation picking up. Then either wages will rise of house prices will fall slowly. I guess its still real term falls so it cant be all bad.

Be patient sir.

The banks are readying themselves for property crash. Extra capital, reduced loans. It's all lining up. QE2 if it does happen, and I severly doubt it will, is going to have little effect.

Not long now and it's going to hurt those amateur speculators. It;s easy to make money on the way up. It's even easier to lose it on the way down ;)

Anyone notice how all the property auction shots in HutH these days are close ups- no more sweeping pans of the crowded auction rooms as the frenzied bidders chase prices up.

Maybe they don't want to show all the empty seats in the auction rooms? If so I would like to know who made that editorial choice- does everyone on that bloody show have a VI?

Edited by wonderpup

I bumped into a researcher from Channel 4 yesterday sitting in an EA's office in Swansea West - apparently Channel 4 are going to make a make-over programme following people who buy houses and do them up. They are going to follow some people in Swansea apparently.

I bumped into a researcher from Channel 4 yesterday sitting in an EA's office in Swansea West - apparently Channel 4 are going to make a make-over programme following people who buy houses and do them up. They are going to follow some people in Swansea apparently.

You're kidding? So basically a copy of HUTH?

(Please don't tell me they're going to follow the "progress" of idiots who buy from EAs, with mortgages, to sell after a few licks of paint? Because that will be ridiculous. No one makes money these days doing that. Making money HUTH way can happen, if you buy a wreck, don't overbid, don't have a mortgage, spend thriftily and then don't be greedy with the asking price.)

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

You're kidding? So basically a copy of HUTH?

(Please don't tell me they're going to follow the "progress" of idiots who buy from EAs, with mortgages, to sell after a few licks of paint? Because that will be ridiculous. No one makes money these days doing that. Making money HUTH way can happen, if you buy a wreck, don't overbid, don't have a mortgage, spend thriftily and then don't be greedy with the asking price.)

He was in an EA office in Sketty so I asked who he was? How dare another non-EA enter one of the Swansea EA offices other than me? :lol: I walked past another EA office today and he was in that one sat a desk also.

I am sure he was following the rules.

I didn't like him but he owned the land to the side already. With the house he bought at £180,000 at auction, it did make it a reasonable buy at good value. When you can get permission to build a load of houses on it. Good access to the site too for the new houses. Other houses to be built on his existing plot.

He thought the valuation of £1m for the undeveloped site was a bit low, thinking worth between £1.3 and £1.5 million more realistic.

He ran an employment agency for Polish workers from what he was saying.

That HMO of his next door licensed for upto 20 people. PDF paper. I didn't like how he called the workers from the HMO who helped him temporarily fix up the £180K house for a rental until permission came through, 'lads'.

The smug "the youth of nowadays are so spolit" attitude was so infuriating. One rough quote:

I think they're implying he's got to compete with the halls of residence where they have internet to every room and a phone line.

What a joke.

that is indeed ridiculous, internet is essential for modern study and most white collar work, that is the end of it, what a fool

that is indeed ridiculous, internet is essential for modern study and most white collar work, that is the end of it, what a fool

Yes, but what the hell does HUTH know about what is required to educate yourself. Most HUTH'ers look like they've never opened a book.

Anyone notice how all the property auction shots in HutH these days are close ups- no more sweeping pans of the crowded auction rooms as the frenzied bidders chase prices up.

Maybe they don't want to show all the empty seats in the auction rooms? If so I would like to know who made that editorial choice- does everyone on that bloody show have a VI?

the blone guy presenter 'suprise' is part of a property development company.

i just give up. personally its destroyed my middle life.

Watched HUTH two mondays ago.

Did anyone see the the Irish fella who bought a house down in the southwest.

Asbestos ceilings !!!!!

rock on martin and lucy

I never saw it but let me hazard a wild guess. They still, somehow even though nobody could really understand it, made a nice profit that was splashed onto the bottom of the screen in a large font.

I never saw it but let me hazard a wild guess. They still, somehow even though nobody could really understand it, made a nice profit that was splashed onto the bottom of the screen in a large font.

or they are going to rent it out with a tidy yield of 6%

or they are going to rent it out with a tidy yield of 6%

Ah yes - the secondary get out clause.

Quite amazing. In all the shows with all the people through all manner of years. They have never had one that was not going to either 'Make a profit' or 'Rent it out for a tidy sum'.

Quite remarkable. Give me a camera and 3 months and I would have no bother finding hundreds.