House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaleRHP

Any Happy Tenants Of One Of The Pubcos On The Forum?

I wanna run a pub B)

OK, when you've stopped :lol: read on.

I don't just want to run _any_ pub, I have spent many hours over the last few months developing a vision of what a certain vacant pub in my town could be; how I would market it; the events it could hold to attract and retain customers - etc.; it's not just a mid-life "I've had enough of the day job and fancy running a pub" crisis; it's a serious business idea.

I don't have any delusions over how much work running a pub will be; the long hours, heavy lifting in the cellar, staffing. I need a couple of hours a day to run my web businesses but other than that I've got time and a little bit of capital to put into it.

Now to the crunch. The property is owned by one of the national PubCos; with the tied lease currently being advertised at what one the surface looks like a very reasonable rent given the prominence of the location, footfall etc.

The PubCos have come in for some bad press recently; being blamed rightly or wrongly for the number of pub closures recently; but despite the bad press I wonder how much if is really just down to bad management, lack of marketing etc. of the people that are taking these pubs on. I've lived in the town through 2 previous tenants who have had a go at this properly, and no disrespect but they just weren't trying.

So are the PubCos really that bad; or if you've got a bit of business head on you, a good idea and some vision can you make a go of it?

Any happy PubCo tenants on the forum? Can anyone shed any light on the approximate wholesale values of drinks Vs non-tied wholesale?

Thanks!

I do a lot of work for a major pubco, and take it from me they will not allow topless barmaids.

Back to the drawing board.

Hmm, will have to settle for white tops and beer pumps that mis-aim.

Is it one of the financially-challenged pubcos like Punch? If so, you might find you're in a buyers market if you can raise the funds.

Not only that, there are investors who'll be keen to back you if your plan looks like anything more than a pipedream. Downing, for instance, like this kind of venture.

In any of these types of deal, Big Company and Little Man, the big company are not looking for a joint venture, they are looking to relieve the little man of everything he has built up so far in his life by selling him a dream.

I have no sympathy for anyone stupid enough to take on a pub deal.

Is it one of the financially-challenged pubcos like Punch? If so, you might find you're in a buyers market if you can raise the funds.

Not only that, there are investors who'll be keen to back you if your plan looks like anything more than a pipedream. Downing, for instance, like this kind of venture.

Thanks - i've been giving this line serious consideration also. What do you think might be the best approach;

a) go directly to the PubCo and ask what they want for the freehold.

B) instruct a commercial property consultant to prepare a valuation without access for me and go in with an unsolicited offer

Seeing I'd need to have my own valuation done anyway I'm thinking B) might the most efficient; go in with an offer; anticipate that should they be interested they will reply with a counter; and at that point we should be able to obtain access for a full survey prior to completing the freehold negotiation.

Ta!

Thanks - i've been giving this line serious consideration also. What do you think might be the best approach;

I wouldn't presume to advise on that.

This chap comes across as someone with a long history of successful investing: I've certainly learned some useful tips from him, like how to get better prices than regular broker quotes for sparsely-traded shares, so his anecdote might be of interest to you.

Me? Bargepole - I'm not rich enough to take that kind of big gamble.

I wanna run a pub B)

OK, when you've stopped :lol: read on.

I don't just want to run _any_ pub, I have spent many hours over the last few months developing a vision of what a certain vacant pub in my town could be; how I would market it; the events it could hold to attract and retain customers - etc.; it's not just a mid-life "I've had enough of the day job and fancy running a pub" crisis; it's a serious business idea.

I don't have any delusions over how much work running a pub will be; the long hours, heavy lifting in the cellar, staffing. I need a couple of hours a day to run my web businesses but other than that I've got time and a little bit of capital to put into it.

Now to the crunch. The property is owned by one of the national PubCos; with the tied lease currently being advertised at what one the surface looks like a very reasonable rent given the prominence of the location, footfall etc.

The PubCos have come in for some bad press recently; being blamed rightly or wrongly for the number of pub closures recently; but despite the bad press I wonder how much if is really just down to bad management, lack of marketing etc. of the people that are taking these pubs on. I've lived in the town through 2 previous tenants who have had a go at this properly, and no disrespect but they just weren't trying.

So are the PubCos really that bad; or if you've got a bit of business head on you, a good idea and some vision can you make a go of it?

Any happy PubCo tenants on the forum? Can anyone shed any light on the approximate wholesale values of drinks Vs non-tied wholesale?

Thanks!

There is only one realistic way to approach this.You have to be able to buy the freehold.As Harry observed the companies will squeeze you dry and throw you on the heap with all the other failed dreamers.You need the freehold.And the way things are going in the pub world you will soon be able to buy one for peanuts.Don't take a lease under ANY circumstances the dice are weighted against you.

There is only one realistic way to approach this.You have to be able to buy the freehold.As Harry observed the companies will squeeze you dry and throw you on the heap with all the other failed dreamers.You need the freehold.And the way things are going in the pub world you will soon be able to buy one for peanuts.Don't take a lease under ANY circumstances the dice are weighted against you.

Not sure how true that is. Some leases work better than others. Some people are better pub managers than others. Just be aware of what you're signing. Example: if the rent looks cheap, is that a loss-leader for $pubco that ties you to a bad deal to buy their beer and such restrictions?

The other option is to work as pub manager as employee of a $pubco. That might actually be your best idea[1], if only to see how well-suited the job really is to you. That is, unless you're rich enough to buy the freehold and write off that money in a worst-case scenario.

[1] Unless of course that's precisely where you're coming from ;)

Breweries are already selling off pubs for peanuts in our part of the world (north derbyshire) take a look at this one

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-20026959.html

£130k guide for a big stone building in an area where terraced houses cost similar.... was almost tempted to put in an offer myself, but missus pointed out i would drink tge profits...

Breweries are already selling off pubs for peanuts in our part of the world (north derbyshire) take a look at this one

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-20026959.html

£130k guide for a big stone building in an area where terraced houses cost similar.... was almost tempted to put in an offer myself, but missus pointed out i would drink tge profits...

Wow! That's seriously tempting .... big place at the foot of the High Peak!