House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Bringing Tobacco Into Uk

Anyone know anything on personal allowances being slashed from mdnight tonight? Rolling tobacco 3K down to 1K.?

A general crackdown on anyone bring in more than derisory amounts?

Anyone?

Anyone know anything on personal allowances being slashed from mdnight tonight? Rolling tobacco 3K down to 1K.?

A general crackdown on anyone bring in more than derisory amounts?

Anyone?

i take it this is from within the EU

not heard anything about it TBH

Published on Saturday 17 September 2011 08:35

TRAVELLERS in our area bringing tobacco and cigarettes in from the EU are reminded that allowances are being cut.

From October people will only be able to bring in 800 cigarettes and 1kg of hand-rolling tobacco.

The move brings the UK in line with the rest of Europe.

HM Revenue and Customs spokesman Bob Gaiger said: ‘Law-abiding individuals who genuinely import goods for their own use will not be affected. This change will only affect individuals who are abusing the current limits to avoid paying excise duty on tobacco products which are subsequently re-sold.’

Travellers can pick up the UK Border Agency leaflet ‘Travelling to the UK (Notice 1)’ detailing the change at UK ports and airports from October 1.

Further details of Traveller’s Allowances can be viewed on the HMRC and UKBA websites.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/east-hampshire/warning_to_travellers_about_allowances_1_3065532

Just forund this after a quick bit of googleing

They Kept this a bit quiet

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2011/september/67-tobacco-limit

On Saturday 1 October 2011, the minimum indicative levels (MILs) for tobacco and cigarettes brought into the UK from the European Union (EU) will be reduced, to align them with levels applied elsewhere in Europe.

MILs are guide levels set by EU member states to determine whether imported goods are for travellers' own use. There are no limits to the volumes of tobacco that travellers can bring back from the EU, if the goods are transported by them and are genuinely for their own use.

Travellers bringing tobacco and cigarettes into the UK from the EU will need to comply with new MILs of 800 cigarettes and 1kg of hand-rolling tobacco.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) spokesperson Bob Gaiger said:

'Law-abiding individuals who genuinely import goods for their own use will not be affected. This change will only affect individuals who are abusing the current limits to avoid paying excise duty on tobacco products which are subsequently resold.'

The change to the MILs was announced in April 2011 in HMRC's renewed tobacco strategy Tackling tobacco smuggling: building on our success.

We will update our customs leaflet 'Travelling to the UK (Notice 1)' on 1 October to incorporate the new MILs. The leaflet is available on this website and at UK ports and airports.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm#2

Customs checks when coming from the EU

If a customs official from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) thinks you may be bringing in excise goods such as alcohol and tobacco from the EU for commercial use - perhaps to sell to other people or simply for reimbursement - they may ask you questions and make checks. You may be asked about:

the type and quantity of goods you've bought

why you bought them

how you paid for them

how often you travel

how much you normally smoke or drink

Although there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, customs officials are more likely to ask you questions if you have more than the following:

Goods brought to the UK from the European Union

Until 30 September 2011

From 1 October 2011

Key

Pre October 1st

Post October 1st

Cigarettes

Cigars

Cigarillos

Tobacco

3 kilograms

1 kilogram

Beer

110 litres

110 litres

Wine

90 litres

90 litres

Spirits

10 litres

10 litres

Fortified wine (for example port or sherry)

20 litres

20 litres

If the UKBA is satisfied that the goods are for a commercial purpose it may seize them and any vehicle used to transport them, and may not return them to you. You can find out more in the guide 'What to do if your goods are seized by customs' under 'More useful links'.

so no change to drink then

But if it's for personal use you can still bring back whatever you like. This hasn't changed, just the amounts that the BA use as a guide to interrogate and hassle people have reduced.

Yes. Isn't it really easy to tell when someone is bringing back for someone else? Firstly check their fingers to see if they smoke. Or just see whether they're bringing two types of cigs back.

When I smoked I only smoked one brand at a time.

Why would you smoke two?

Yes. Isn't it really easy to tell when someone is bringing back for someone else? Firstly check their fingers to see if they smoke. Or just see whether they're bringing two types of cigs back.

When I smoked I only smoked one brand at a time.

Why would you smoke two?

Your husband/wife/friend might smoke a different brand to you, and you are perfectly entitled to bring back cigarettes for him/her provided you make a gift of them.

And there was me thinking that the whole point of the eu was to allow free passage of goods.

The purpose of the EU: Executive Summary

To enable the British public to participate in the bailing out of insolvent European banks (in addition to their own), and to have their global competitiveness reduced by being forced to comply with reams of pointless legislation.

This sounds like a bizarre policy. What happens if you assert that the stuff is for your own use, but the customs people don't believe you? Do they have to prove that you intend to flog it, or can they just confiscate it if they're feeling nasty?

Anyway, I'm surprised this is an issue. I don't smoke and therefore don't know about the differential in the price of fags in the UK versus elsewhere in the EU, but for booze it's no cheaper. The price of a nice bottle of single malt at Schiphol en route home from a US trip is now no cheaper than getting it at Tesco in York driving home from Teesside Airport, and in most cases it's more expensive. I've occasionally bought the odd bottle of graanjenever and flown home with it, but that's only because it's impossible to buy the stuff in Britain, not because it's any cheaper. The only circumstances under which I'd want to import a significant quantity of booze from the eurozone is if it was simply not sold in the UK.

Anyway, I'm surprised this is an issue. I don't smoke and therefore don't know about the differential in the price of fags in the UK versus elsewhere in the EU, but for booze it's no cheaper.

A 50g pack of Golden Virginia tobacco is £13.98 in Tesco and €5.20, (£4.47) in Belgium.

Your husband/wife/friend might smoke a different brand to you, and you are perfectly entitled to bring back cigarettes for him/her provided you make a gift of them.

So you can gift how many cigarettes a visit?

At what point is it not own use? I know a lot of people!

Basically, the UK Border Agency adopt for themselves the Aleister Crowley philosophy- "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

HM Revenue and Customs spokesman Bob Gaiger said: ‘Law-abiding individuals who genuinely import goods for their own use will not be affected. This change will only affect individuals who are abusing the current limits to avoid paying excise duty on tobacco products which are subsequently re-sold.’

Except it is only worth the cost and effort for law abiding citizens to make the trip if they bring back sufficient quantities. Making the trip every six months to stock up seems reasonable. Yet this would mean large quantities. Thus his comment about law abiding citizens not being affected is false., Individuals cannot abuse the limits because there are no limits. Provided it is for personal use, you can bring back what you wish. Customs may question you, yet if you stick to your guns there is nothing they can do. They open themselves to litigation if they seize your legitimate goods.