House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harry Monk

Marriage Records

I'm trying to find out the married name of a girl I knew way back when, Genes Reunited have the record of her marriage but want £20 for a month's membership, and as it's not for me but for an old schoolfriend of hers who asked me for help, I won't be paying that.

Is it possible to search marriage records online for free?

I'm trying to find out the married name of a girl I knew way back when, Genes Reunited have the record of her marriage but want £20 for a month's membership, and as it's not for me but for an old schoolfriend of hers who asked me for help, I won't be paying that.

you could try freebmd but that will only give you the index where and when etc.

I do a lot of genealogical stuff and a few years ago a copy marriage cert straight fron st catherines house was about 6 quid.

Now it seems this has been opened up to a numebr of companies who all charge 15 to 20 quid for certified copies

Yoy willl more than likely have to cough up.

I am a memer on GR if you want me to have a look for you drop me a line

you could try freebmd but that will only give you the index where and when etc.

I do a lot of genealogical stuff and a few years ago a copy marriage cert straight fron st catherines house was about 6 quid.

Now it seems this has been opened up to a numebr of companies who all charge 15 to 20 quid for certified copies

Yoy willl more than likely have to cough up.

I am a memer on GR if you want me to have a look for you drop me a line

Tried to send a PM, got this???

The following errors were found

Array

This personal message has not been sent

Don't know what "Array" means as an error message, will try again...

EDIT, Done it, 'scuse my stupidity!

Freebmd isn't much use yet for anything after about 1950 - basicalyl they've started with 1837 and are working forward.

I find Findmypast.co.uk better than genes reunited. they have a 90 day PAYG 60 credits (about 12 lookups) for £6.95.

OK, many thanks to Patfig, I now know the married name of the girl who I will identify on the forum only as "Tracey".

Although her maiden name is unusual, her married name is very common, as is of course her forename. I would like to trace her, not just for her schoolfriend, but I'm sure she would be pleased to hear from me too. She's not an ex, we just used to hang around in the same teenage gang, a bit like the "double-deckers", only without the bus. ;)

So I now know her maiden name, married name, the road in which she was living in 1994-1995 when I last saw her, and her daughter's name. If anyone has any experience of people finding and can suggest what I could do to find her current address I would appreciate it.

I will gladly provide verifiable evidence of my true identity, links to the Facebook page where her friend is looking for her and links to my own Facebook account by PM to prove good faith if required.

Ta!

I take it you've tried googling with her name, husbands name and town/borough as search terms? one of them might be a school governor, town councillor, golf club secretary or whatever?

192.com (free bit) will only be any use if they aren't ex-directory; or someone may have a 2002 version of UK infodisk (the last one before people could opt out of electoral register details being public).

Can you trace where her parents live? They may well have been in the same place for 20 years, and are less likely to be ex-directory / ex electoral register.

You can of course go and inspect the electoral registers in person - they are public documents - but it's a real fag as they are organised by street!

If she's got an unusual maiden name, I'd go for the parents.

Do you have her date of birth?

No, I'm afraid not, and I doubt I could find this out, in general the only way of knowing someone's birthdate is if they have a Facebook account with open settings, and she either doesn't, or at least doesn't have one in her maiden name.

Other info I know is the secondary school she attended, the road she lived in in the late 1970's... not much help I know!

No, I'm afraid not, and I doubt I could find this out, in general the only way of knowing someone's birthdate is if they have a Facebook account with open settings, and she either doesn't, or at least doesn't have one in her maiden name.

Other info I know is the secondary school she attended, the road she lived in in the late 1970's... not much help I know!

192.com Harry but you will have to pay.

192.com Harry but you will have to pay.

I tried 192.com but there is no record of her at all on there, free or otherwise, although she obviously does exist!

I've been fascinated by this little project and have tried out a few people finding services, Genes Reunited seems to be the most comprehensive although I think I have exhausted that route now.

It seems she isn't on the internet- almost impossible to believe for most of us, I know, I can only imagine that some folk still have a life! ;)

I tried 192.com but there is no record of her at all on there, free or otherwise, although she obviously does exist!

I've been fascinated by this little project and have tried out a few people finding services, Genes Reunited seems to be the most comprehensive although I think I have exhausted that route now.

It seems she isn't on the internet- almost impossible to believe for most of us, I know, I can only imagine that some folk still have a life! ;)

Good on her, I am fairly under the radar too.

I am guessing you haver tried her married name on the dreaded facebook?

Good on her, I am fairly under the radar too.

I am guessing you haver tried her married name on the dreaded facebook?

Yes, there are only two people on Facebook with her maiden name, one in the UK (who isn't her) and one in Australia.

There are around eleventy billion people with her married name.... if I was a girl with a distinctive and unusual surname, I would refuse to marry a chap with a common surname unless he agreed to adopt my name... there are less than 80 people in the country with my surname but when my sister got married she became a "Murphy". :(

Yes, there are only two people on Facebook with her maiden name, one in the UK (who isn't her) and one in Australia.

There are around eleventy billion people with her married name.... if I was a girl with a distinctive and unusual surname, I would refuse to marry a chap with a common surname unless he agreed to adopt my name... there are less than 80 people in the country with my surname but when my sister got married she became a "Murphy". :(

She should be on the electoral roll / register, unless she is dead.

An old address?

She should be on the electoral roll / register, unless she is dead.

Yes, I have looked at that but there is no record of her being on the electoral register in Thanet, where she lived when I last had positive knowledge of her address in 1995, nor in London where I knew her as a teenager in about 1979.

There is no record of her having died under her maiden name.

I am going to keep on looking, and all suggestions are welcome, some things I have tried, some things I haven't, and I try all suggestions but all so far have come up against brick walls...

Yes, I have looked at that but there is no record of her being on the electoral register in Thanet, where she lived when I last had positive knowledge of her address in 1995, nor in London where I knew her as a teenager in about 1979.

There is no record of her having died under her maiden name.

I am going to keep on looking, and all suggestions are welcome, some things I have tried, some things I haven't, and I try all suggestions but all so far have come up against brick walls...

good fun isn't it, drop me a line if you need more help, I have a few other resources.

An old address?

I know the name of the road she lived in when we were teenagers back in 1978, Merrilees Road, Sidcup, Kent, and also the name of the road she lived in when I last met her in 1994, Argyll Drive, Ramsgate, but I can't remember the number of either.

I will plug away at this though, it might just be a case of having to wait until technology moves on!

It costs, but a good tracing service should find her.

We recently paid about £75 to find an absentee freeholder who had apparently gone back to Ghana. At any rate he hadn't demanded any ground rent for over 5 yrs and the vendor of the property had been unable to find him.

Within less than a week this lot traced him to a house he now owns only about 3 miles from his previous property, living under another name - no great surprise since we'd found out that there were debts attached to the freehold.

I know the name of the road she lived in when we were teenagers back in 1978, Merrilees Road, Sidcup, Kent, and also the name of the road she lived in when I last met her in 1994, Argyll Drive, Ramsgate, but I can't remember the number of either.

I will plug away at this though, it might just be a case of having to wait until technology moves on!

Your best bet is on the birth of another child - you don't say when the daughter was born, but searching on the next few years for a second child - her maiden name will identify it - might tell you whether she's still in the same district. Unfortunately

1. the Gov't contract with the indexers ended in 2006 so you can't search beyond that without going in person to one of the registration offices

• Manchester City Library
  • Birmingham Central Library
  • Bridgend Reference and Information Library
  • Plymouth Central Library
  • City of Westminster Archives Centre
  • London Metropolitan Archives

2. You can't order birth certificates for recent births without good reason - brought in post the "Day of the Jackal" deceased child passport dodge.

We recently paid about £75 to find an absentee freeholder who had apparently gone back to Ghana. At any rate he hadn't demanded any ground rent for over 5 yrs and the vendor of the property had been unable to find him.

Within less than a week this lot traced him to a house he now owns only about 3 miles from his previous property, living under another name - no great surprise since we'd found out that there were debts attached to the freehold.

This tends to rely on credit records - it's a rare person who hasn't applied for ANY sort of credit - including mobile phone contracts - or credit cards. Some of the access to these records is a little, er, dubious!

Yes, I've seen professional searching services who will guarantee to find somebody before requiring payment, although the fee suggested is around the £200 mark, but since this is just a case of me trying to find a schoolmate for somebody who I also happen to have known, I can't really justify laying out that kind of money.

Since it is already in the public domain, I will post this, which is what started it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blackfen-School-for-Girls/108031059230176?sk=wall

I am the bloke in the filthy T-shirt who has just changed a lorry wheel somewhere in southern Russia ;)

Findmypast has a chantelle born 1987,. and a Paris Rhianna registered Ealing 2003.

Thanks, I presume Paris Rhianna would be the daughter of Chantelle... I'm half tempted to subscribe to one of these sites, am just a bit too stingy!

I'll have another look later, I have also found what would seem to be Tracey's father, and he is shown as only living a few miles away from where she last lived, so maybe she is still local... may do some footwork and see if she is. Really, a postal address would be ideal, so I could drop her a quick note.