House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bobbio

So Whats Your Education?

I always thought that this site has attracted a high level of educated people and people with true cop-on who were not academic?

And I think it would be interesting to see what’s the breakdown.

So I’ll get the ball rolling, I have a BEng, MSc, and am currently doing a PhD in hydrocarbon pipelines (part time). And I work for an oil company.

It only a poll, two clicks so don’t be lazy!!

Bobbio

Edited by Bobbio

I always thought that this site has attracted a high level of educated people and people with true cop-on who were not academic?

And I think it would be interesting to see what's the breakdown.

So I'll get the ball rolling, I have a BEnd, MSc, and am currently doing a PhD in hydrocarbon pipelines (part time). And I work for an oil company.

It only a poll, two clicks so don't be lazy!!

Bobbio

Yup, I think this site attracts mostly educated people, as they're the ones who would go out of their way to find and understand the facts.

Oh, and I have a BSc (hons).

Edited by Jason

Guest Bart of Darkness

I, on the other hand, am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the university of life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me.

:)

Yup, I think this site attracts mostly educated people, as they're the ones who would go out of their way to find and understand the facts.

Oh, and I have a BSc (hons).

Thats hardly 'well' educated. Even retards have degrees in the UK now

Yup, I did it on purpose - honest!

actually - i try not to pull people up about grammar now - first time i did i spelt (or is it spelled :blink: ) "grammer" incorrectly so ended up looking like more of a t1t! :lol:

just thought it was funny on an education thread - sos! :)

Guest growl

Frik!

It got a bit hot a couple of months back on the topic of graduates and degrees. BSc (Hons) IT & Comp. :)

By the way im dyslexic and on red wine so watch out!!

While the numbers of people having a degree is going up, the number of people getting technical degrees is static or going down.

Also doing a technical degree is as much work as doing a full time job (40+ hours a week)!!

So you're comment falls a bit flat, if you would look at the facts.

Bobbio

Excellent idea for a poll..i was thinking the same thing a couple of days ago.

The creativity and imagine of people on this site never ceases to amaze me (ok speellling and grammmmer can be a bit off but hey it's only IT posts). But i do think, whatever the qualifications the people on this site, they are very gifted. :)

BSocSci, MRes Phd (nearing completion)

Guest Bart of Darkness

Chavs don't.

The poll has only been going for two hours and already the largest majority of people on this website are from technical backgrounds.

I'm not sure what this means, but my take on it would be that technically educated people have be trained to look at facts, figure and graphs and reason. With this evidence being so strong this may not be surprising.

In my daily travels I always find that people with Engineering (Technical) backgrounds are the most understanding of why there will be a crash. In some cases you only have to show them the Earning Vs Hp ratio and ask them "what will happen next?” and they are believers.

I also notice there’s a good section of people with lower or no education. I would say in my own experience this is the crowd who were always sharp in school but couldn't be bothered with education, people who have that gut feeling that something’s wrong.

I often find that these people are often some of the best to talk too, but they are a rare breed.

Bobbio

Studied fashion originally then diverted into teaching the damn stuff at college. Absolutely no formal edu. about economics...just read a lot, and use a lot of common sense.

As for now, got fed up teaching,now work for Adult Services Mental Health.

In my daily travels I always find that people with Engineering (Technical) backgrounds are the most understanding of why there will be a crash. In some cases you only have to show them the Earning Vs Hp ratio and ask them "what will happen next?” and they are believers.

i don't find this

i'm surrounded by engineers daily

they all think i am mad.

i think it might be down to personality type. has anyone ever done that myers-briggs thing?

Nah. We're all geeks who spend their lives online. <_<

this is true - however can i just point out that it is all down to this flippin site draggin me in <_<

i'm quite cool in real life B) (although stuck in on a friday night talking to youse lot!!! :lol: )

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I also notice there’s a good section of people with lower or no education. I would say in my own experience this is the crowd who were always sharp in school but couldn't be bothered with education, people who have that gut feeling that something’s wrong.

I often find that these people are often some of the best to talk too, but they are a rare breed.

Bobbio

I and my fellow dummies thank you for your kind compliment young Bobbio.

;)

The poll has only been going for two hours and already the largest majority of people on this website are from technical backgrounds.

I'm not sure what this means, but my take on it would be that technically educated people have be trained to look at facts, figure and graphs and reason. With this evidence being so strong this may not be surprising.

Bobbio

I have an arts masters and a science one. (History and Computing Science). I have to say that the arts degree was by far and away the harder one. That involved real thinking, the construction of complex arguments, the honing of rhetoric, and independent thought and work habits. The Comp Sci degree involved turning up to the lectures and a spot of revision at the end.

I now work for a quite successful software house. Those with an arts background tend to perform better than those with a straight science background, although they are thin on the ground.

I was doing an MA in art history before work became too much, but again, that was very difficult compared to the science degree.

Just A'Levels for me. (Computer Science, Physics and Maths). Got AAB but decided not to go to Uni.

Almost like me, got A,A,A with further maths not computer science, worked on a building site after college to put some cash together for UNI, got a Tecki degree (2:1) with hons, then a Masters, who knows probably would have made my fortune if I'd stayed on the buildng site than working for a sweat shop IP (Intellectual Property, software to you and I) company.

If somebody got a BSc 10 or more years ago, it is still as good as it ever was. Just because modern degrees may be getting easier, doesn't mean the ones awarded in the past have any less value. They of course have more value as a result.

Hehehe, I see the 'hard degree' snobs are out in force again. I used work at a place with highly skilled engineers - discussions revolved around golf, Top Gear and Clarkson, golf, the exceptional quality of German cars, golf and, er, golf.

I'd rather date a sociology/history/philosophy/insert-soft-subject grad!

Bobbio

You sound like a frightful bore

:rolleyes:

I studied Criminology under the title of Social Policy and Statistics - upper second. I have found it to be of no use to me, other than knowing what Foucault et al had to say. After a couple of years out of uni, I started and am still studying, MCSD ( 3 down and 1 to go ). The poll doesnt offer any option to reflect vocational education attained which enabled me to do my job.

Edited by murpaul