House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Tony Blair: I Could Cash In A Lot More Than I Do

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/8797505/Tony-Blair-I-could-cash-in-a-lot-more-than-I-do.html

....the Palestinian Liberation Organisation prepares a proposal to declare him persona non-grata in the next few days.

In an interview broadcast last night on India's CNBC-TV18, in which he also defended his relationship with Rupert Murdoch and blamed the children of alcoholics, drug addicts and prostitutes for Britain's recent riots, Mr Blair said recent allegations against him had been inspired by a left wing media establishment which resented him for creating New Labour, and a right wing establishment which hated him for winning three general elections.

He rejected claims that he had benefited from a deal to establish a second mobile telephone network in the Palestinian Authority, whose operator borrowed $2 billion from the merchant bank JP Morgan, which employs Mr Blair as an adviser, or from a $6 billion gas project in Gaza, where the operator British Gas is also linked to the bank.

"This is absolutely untrue ….[the Palestinians] had one mobile telephone company and were desperate to introduce competition which would give them hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, it was the single biggest foreign direct investment in Palestine. I made absolutely no gain out of it at all. It was a long-standing commitment of the international community," he said. He dismissed claims of a conflict of interest in promoting a Gaza gas project because the operator British Gas is also a client of JP Morgan as "tenuous."

How can he have made no gain out of it when he's paid by the bank who organised the finance? The bank will have profited from the deal and that's what pays out wages? Looks like the Palestinians have got fed up with him.

Is this the Jonathan Ross defence?

"Look, I'm worth far more as an actor. After my Chilcott Enquiry appearance I was offered the role of J. Edgar Hoover but of course I had to turn it down so they were left with their second choice - Leonardo DiCaprio."

Why should we believe a single word that comes out of his mouth?

To show an unfelt sorrow is an office

Which the false man does easy.

Macbeth, Act II, scene ii

Paraphrasing, then:

"Yes, of course I'm milking it. I'm being greeedy, but lets be honest - if I wanted to, I could be doing far, far more dodgy deals. The fact I'm limiting it to only a few dozen shows how trustworthy I actually am".

Blair is so deeply corrupt, I don't think he would recognize a conflict of interest if it jumped out of his wallet and started signing deals for him.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

(Upton Sinclair)

The guy will do well not to end up swinging outside a petrol station one day. He is the epitome of what has gone wrong with Britain's ruling elite.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/8797505/Tony-Blair-I-could-cash-in-a-lot-more-than-I-do.html

How can he have made no gain out of it when he's paid by the bank who organised the finance? The bank will have profited from the deal and that's what pays out wages? Looks like the Palestinians have got fed up with him.

...he doesn't understand the difference between right and wrong ...but how does he get away with it...as an envoy should he not declare interests.....?.... :rolleyes:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

(Upton Sinclair)

Brilliant.

I feel that I should repeat this where appropriate - all those threads, jokes, signatures, avatars, hate and anger re. Gordon Brown - waste of time, I'm afraid. Tony was the real deal.

Not much in it IMHO... Tony was just better at concealing his intentions and playing to the crowd.

Not much in it IMHO... Tony was just better at concealing his intentions and playing to the crowd.

Though pretty lightweight intellectually, Tony was very smart at the few things he concentrated upon. (Like cashing in from day one.)

Gordon I think was just dumb all-round. He wasn't capable of articulating a single sentence that wasn't written for him and then he'd repeat it endlessly and irrelevantly . . . I think one of the last gems was, 'we must get lending back to 2007 levels'. He honestly didn't know what he was saying.

I think he was too stupid to be anywhere near Tony in the evil-intentioned league. Probably the UK's least intelligent PM ever though, by some margin.

Though pretty lightweight intellectually, Tony was very smart at the few things he concentrated upon. (Like cashing in from day one.)

Gordon I think was just dumb all-round. He wasn't capable of articulating a single sentence that wasn't written for him and then he'd repeat it endlessly and irrelevantly . . . I think one of the last gems was, 'we must get lending back to 2007 levels'. He honestly didn't know what he was saying.

I think he was too stupid to be anywhere near Tony in the evil-intentioned league. Probably the UK's least intelligent PM ever though, by some margin.

I disagree Brown was probably one of the most intelligent, he's an academic with no real life experience. At least Blair had the personal touch even it was as genuine as Bush's tough cowboy routine. An unintelligent person could never have come up with the bureacratic wet dream that is Tax Credits.

I disagree Brown was probably one of the most intelligent, he's an academic with no real life experience. At least Blair had the personal touch even it was as genuine as Bush's tough cowboy routine. An unintelligent person could never have come up with the bureacratic wet dream that is Tax Credits.

I think tax credits were introduced during Blair's time as PM but I don't think they were his idea.

I remember the idea of tax credits being mentioned in the papers even in the days of Thatcher as PM. I'm not suggesting she agreed (or disagreed) with the idea.

Actually I think the idea came from the US. Apparently they started something called EITC, Earned Income Tax Credit, about 1975.

Bureaucracy indeed and writ large for sure.

Edited by billybong

I think tax credits were introduced during Blair's time as PM but I don't think they were his idea.

I remember the idea of tax credits being mentioned in the papers even in the days of Thatcher as PM. I'm not suggesting she agreed (or disagreed) with the idea.

Actually I think the idea came from the US. Apparently they started something called EITC, Earned Income Tax Credit, about 1975.

Bureaucracy indeed and writ large for sure.

My post probably didn't make sense but I was refering to Brown introducing them as Chancellor. Thanks for the history lesson though!

My post probably didn't make sense but I was refering to Brown introducing them as Chancellor. Thanks for the history lesson though!

It made sense but I don't think the idea originated from either Blair or Brown. History lesson, no problem ;) it's just that when you mentioned the tax credit idea then thinking back I remembered some newspaper articles I had read in those days.

Edited by billybong

It made sense but I don't think the idea originated from either Blair or Brown. History lesson, no problem ;) it's just that when you mentioned the tax credit idea then thinking back I remembered some newspaper articles I had read in those days.

It was probably originally a good idea. :rolleyes:

It was probably originally a good idea. :rolleyes:

Perhaps but I think your point about on bureaucracy is spot on. It started out as an idea with a bit of potential but it's all ended up a bureaucratic farce seemingly with just about every undeserving? cause being rewarded even for all comers from all over the world all at UK taxpayers expense.

As for UK politicians having any original ideas well that's so far in the dim and distant past the TV hadn't even been thought of then. Even when they have faintly worthwhile ideas they just use them to gain votes and almost immediately renege on them once in power.

That's not to say that UK politicians haven't been inventive in some things but that's stuff like feathering their own nests and they've been pretty adept at that.

Edited by billybong