House Price Crash Forum
SleepyHead

Question Time Grant Shapps

The speed limit for the youth is walking pace. Due to inhibitive car insurance, and what with public private transport being so expensive, they have a reduced work radius. Add to that the difficulties of moving home, it's not worth travelling for work, at least within the UK. Assuming it pays to work in the first place.

The speed limit for the youth is walking pace. Due to inhibitive car insurance, and what with public private transport being so expensive, they have a reduced work radius. Add to that the difficulties of moving home, it's not worth travelling for work, at least within the UK. Assuming it pays to work in the first place.

Indeed. "In Britain, the percentage of 17- to 20-year-olds with driving licences fell from 48% in the early 1990s to 35% last year." (from the Guardian website).

Personal anecdote: My father in law offered to pay for my son's driving lessons when he turned 17. He's now 20 and hasn't yet had a lesson, saying he doesn't see any point as he'll never be able to afford to buy and run a car.

Indeed. "In Britain, the percentage of 17- to 20-year-olds with driving licences fell from 48% in the early 1990s to 35% last year." (from the Guardian website).

Personal anecdote: My father in law offered to pay for my son's driving lessons when he turned 17. He's now 20 and hasn't yet had a lesson, saying he doesn't see any point as he'll never be able to afford to buy and run a car.

I've had a license for nearly 8 years now, when I first passed I was quoted £2500, now I'm getting quoted about £5-6k. Supposedly it gets cheaper as you get older!

I've never bothered. Ironically, I drove a bit before I bothered to get a license!

A bicycle will at least triple your speed and increase your maximum commute to 8-10 miles, all for maybe a penny a mile.

A bicycle will at least triple your speed and increase your maximum commute to 8-10 miles, all for maybe a penny a mile.

I stopped riding last year, after being run over by a person reversing without looking, fortunately he hit me, if I wasn't there he'd have run over the woman pushing a child in a pram a few metres away! I had a lot of near misses too. Old people look directly at me and then pull out, forcing me to swerve (and nearly causing my death), I think it is too risky whilst the elderly are allowed to drive well into their 70s, 80s and beyond. Especially when they are so prevalent. They can travel on the buses for free, shame they don't do so all the time.

Brilliant last bit from snapps, followed by insane claps for caroline flints comments! But at least snaps wrapped it all up well, winning some good support!

Caroline Flint is f'ing useless, she speak 105% pure ********! Eg the comment about the energy Market being uncompetative, even though ed milliband was energy secretary.

David dimblileby is doing his best to blunt any rightwing support!

Brilliant last bit from snapps, followed by insane claps for caroline flints comments! But at least snaps wrapped it all up well, winning some good support!

Caroline Flint is f'ing useless, she speak 105% pure ********! Eg the comment about the energy Market being uncompetative, even though ed milliband was energy secretary.

David dimblileby is doing his best to blunt any rightwing support!

Flint is definitely jostling Hazel Blears for top spot in terms of loathsome MPs.

Portillo on This Week has just revealed that a philosopher pointed out to him this week that bailing out Greece isn't saving Greece, it's saving the banks which lent to Greece.

Jesus wept, he was a Treasury Minister - Where've you been Mike!! Read HPC more often!!!!!

Question Time:

Here's a question for you

Dimbleby, you supercilious Tory fossil.

Why the fu3k does anybody bother with it?

Or you?

It is because we live

In a "proper" democracy!

Not like them Iranians and Chinese.

No.

And what if one of them audience members

Asks THE killer question?

Tonight?

Yeah!

That'll teach all them politicians!

Gordon Brown and them.

It's a big harmless opinion lottery

With no sharp edges

Where people what are interested in politics

Can get excited and agitated

And express their views and that

Quite safely

'Specially as they have

No means of changing anything at all

That they are going on about.

Portillio has been warning about the SHTF for a number of years.

His advice a few years ago was for young people to become Public servents as everything else would go down the pan.

He's also just said a German businessman told him he keeps cash in a safe 'cause there was a German plan to shut all the banks after Lehman.

Lots of joking about where Portillo has hidden his cash.

Portillo's definately an HPCer.

Great first 15-20 minutes of This Week. If anyone missed it, catch up on iPlayer! :)

Worth watching. (Portillo on This Week that is)

They are beginning to see that the Greek/Irish/Portuguese bailout was actually yet another bank bailout.

They haven't figured out the Fractional Reserve based Leveraging* of the EFSF, which explains how the 440 Billion Euros becomes 2 or 3 Trillion Euros etc. (*essentially more money printy printy)

They still believe the dogma that "the banks have to be recapitalized" sadly. Yet to realise that it is the Banks or Us! Bail outs will never end, and they are futile.

Edited by worst time buyer

Question Time:

Here's a question for you

Dimbleby, you supercilious Tory fossil.

Why the fu3k does anybody bother with it?

Or you?

It is because we live

In a "proper" democracy!

Not like them Iranians and Chinese.

No.

And what if one of them audience members

Asks THE killer question?

Tonight?

Yeah!

That'll teach all them politicians!

Gordon Brown and them.

It's a big harmless opinion lottery