House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milton

Ebay And Paypal

I dont sell much on Ebay, but I Wanted to list an item yesterday, which will probably sell in the region of £800.

So I double checked Ebay costs. Ebay will charge me 10% of the final sale fee up to a maximum of £40.

[Plus all the peripheral charges, insertion fees, at £2.50, photos etc.]

That's steep, but I can live with it if I have to.

However, as the item will sell for £800, I did not want to accept Paypal. As PayPal, [Ebays sister company] will charge me 3.4% of the estimated final sale.

So Over a £30 charge, if it sells for £800.

I only wanted to accept a cheque, postal order, bankers draft. As It will likely cost me 50pence or a pound to cash an £800 cheque.

But according to Ebay its now no longer my choice on how I can accept payment. Specifically:

To ensure security on the eBay marketplace, it is now mandatory for all listings to offer PayPal as a payment method. Enter a valid paypal email address in order to receive payments.

So the winning bidder can simply click 'pay now' using Paypal. And I would be charged over £30 on top of the 40 Ebay have already charged me!

I dont see how that kind of extortion could stand up in an English court, if you state in your ad, that you will only accept a cheque?!

Rang Ebay customer service to complain. Some girl in Manilla, Phillipines answered, who didnt have a forking clue what I was saying...........

Everywhere you turn there is some tw@t trying to grift you.

People used to add a bit to the postage, thus covering their fees to a certain extent...now that ebay have started nailing the postage costs down, its slightly harder to do...

and you know whats even worse, if you put in the advert 'cash only' they can remove the advert because of it. I had it happen on something I was trying to sell. I then gave them a link to about 10 different adverts that all stated 'cash only' on them saying its ridiculous how i've been singled out.

All it takes is someone selling a similiar product to grass you up and you have to start again.

People used to add a bit to the postage, thus covering their fees to a certain extent...now that ebay have started nailing the postage costs down, its slightly harder to do...

I did find out recently that postal Insurance is completely erroneous.

I had to send something to a craftsman to be repaired. The value of the item was over £500.

Pacels2go quoted me £30 to deliver, and the craftsman would have charged me another £30 to send it back.

£40 of that £60 fee was postal insurance on a £500 item. The post itself was only a tenner each way.

So I organised the delivery, through Parcels2go.com choosing to forgo postal insurance, and I rang the craftsman, and told him I would organise the collection, via the same courier.

As I paid for the delivery and collection of the item, with my mastercard, I was covered under section 75 of the consumer credit act, if it was lost in the post. Only cost me a tenner each way.

and you know whats even worse, if you put in the advert 'cash only' they can remove the advert because of it. I had it happen on something I was trying to sell. I then gave them a link to about 10 different adverts that all stated 'cash only' on them saying its ridiculous how i've been singled out.

All it takes is someone selling a similiar product to grass you up and you have to start again.

Ive added to my listing will only accept a cheque.

If the winning bidder pays with paypal, I'll return his payment and tell Paypal to F@ck off.

I am sure that if it went to court, Paypal would lose. They must know this, but still they try it on.

If they remove the item, I'll let them know Ive posted it on every consumer website going, and contacted the office of fair trading, and any other ombundsman, like Ofcom, going.

Of course that will do no good whatsoever, as Ebay is packed full of counterfeits and stolen goods, and even when you tell the police, or the office of fair trading, or trading standards they do absolutely f@ck all about it.

Guest eight

Rang Ebay customer service to complain. Some girl in Manilla, Phillipines answered, who didnt have a forking clue what I was saying...........

In the world according to Paddles, her failure to understand you not only didn't happen but was also entirely your own fault.

If you're selling a car or motorbike, you can select cash only. I think paypal is mandatory for all other items. It can be pricey but it reduces fraud,apparently. <_<

As I paid for the delivery and collection of the item, with my mastercard, I was covered under section 75 of the consumer credit act, if it was lost in the post. Only cost me a tenner each way.

Valid section 75 claims have to be of a transaction value greater than £100.

Valid section 75 claims have to be of a transaction value greater than £100.

I called my Bank and was very specific. They assured me I would be covered under section 75.

http://www.credit-card-comparison-online.co.uk/guide/features/section-75-consumer-protection-covered.html

Funny you mention that - I tried to use eBay once about five years ago and whether or not it insisted on accepting PayPal back then, the site made it so damn difficult to get the thing listed without it that I just gave up.

I'd previously had a dispute with PayPal when a client's payment to me ended up stuck there for months because they froze the account and insisted I set up a direct debit before it would be unlocked.

I don't allow those, I have them disabled on my personal and business accounts. I did get the money eventually, but had already been left with no option than to remove the option of accepting PayPal as a method of payment from clients.

And there was no need for a direct debit anyway for them to pay me. It was laughable. The only reason they want that is to pull the money back from you if they get a chargeback.

So they lost both aspects of my business.

Overall I'd say eBay is a great place to buy many things, but a pretty bad place to sell.

As a general rule, agreed. I buy lots of stuff (probably 70-100 items a year), but have only sold around 10 items since first using Fleabay in 2004. All of these were things I didn't need and it would be nice to get a bit of cash for, but which I wasn't going to lose any sleep over if they didn't sell or for less than I was expecting. However, given the amount that Ebay and Paypal topsliced from these sales, I'm very glad that I'm not trying to make a living selling things on Ebay, especially high value items.

All of my sales have gone smoothly and all but two of my purchases: therefore, on the whole I'm OK with it. Touch wood, I haven't had any bad Paypal experiences so far. But if I did and was not satisfied with the way PP treated me as a result, I'd certainly think twice about using it thereafter.

As a general rule, agreed. I buy lots of stuff (probably 70-100 items a year), but have only sold around 10 items since first using Fleabay in 2004. All of these were things I didn't need and it would be nice to get a bit of cash for, but which I wasn't going to lose any sleep over if they didn't sell or for less than I was expecting. However, given the amount that Ebay and Paypal topsliced from these sales, I'm very glad that I'm not trying to make a living selling things on Ebay, especially high value items.

All of my sales have gone smoothly and all but two of my purchases: therefore, on the whole I'm OK with it. Touch wood, I haven't had any bad Paypal experiences so far. But if I did and was not satisfied with the way PP treated me as a result, I'd certainly think twice about using it thereafter.

use it once to sell an '86 Cavalier (Genuine 36,000 miles one owner) The car still had the original seat covers on,a new MOT and was a 1300cc so low tax.This Geordie called me up and gave me abuse because I set the reserve at £400.I pointed out that it had seven months tax on the screen (£70 worth) but he still reckoned I was trying to rip him off.It made £425 and I nevered bothered with E bay again.reckon it's a busted flush.

use it once to sell an '86 Cavalier (Genuine 36,000 miles one owner) The car still had the original seat covers on,a new MOT and was a 1300cc so low tax.This Geordie called me up and gave me abuse because I set the reserve at £400.I pointed out that it had seven months tax on the screen (£70 worth) but he still reckoned I was trying to rip him off.It made £425 and I nevered bothered with E bay again.reckon it's a busted flush.

Bizarre? Surely if you set a reserve then its up to the people interested to decide if its good value or not. How could you be ripping him off as its up to him if he wants to bid or not. Unless they put in a bid and then you tell him after he's won, you tell him you want more for it which would be against ebay rules.

I always find buying stuff on ebay to be a lot easier than selling thats for sure. I prefer paying for stuff with paypal purely for the convenience factor as the buyer doesn't incur any of the charges only the seller.

Overall I'd say eBay is a great place to buy many things, but a pretty bad place to sell.

I've bought a few cheapo cables on there for about a quid or so each (inc P&P) over the years..I have no idea how you can make a profit out of that, but I suppose some people do..

I dont sell much on Ebay, but I Wanted to list an item yesterday, which will probably sell in the region of £800.

So I double checked Ebay costs. Ebay will charge me 10% of the final sale fee up to a maximum of £40.

[Plus all the peripheral charges, insertion fees, at £2.50, photos etc.]

That's steep, but I can live with it if I have to.

However, as the item will sell for £800, I did not want to accept Paypal. As PayPal, [Ebays sister company] will charge me 3.4% of the estimated final sale.

So Over a £30 charge, if it sells for £800.

I only wanted to accept a cheque, postal order, bankers draft. As It will likely cost me 50pence or a pound to cash an £800 cheque.

But according to Ebay its now no longer my choice on how I can accept payment. Specifically:

So the winning bidder can simply click 'pay now' using Paypal. And I would be charged over £30 on top of the 40 Ebay have already charged me!

I dont see how that kind of extortion could stand up in an English court, if you state in your ad, that you will only accept a cheque?!

Everywhere you turn there is some tw@t trying to grift you.

I know what you're saying and it pisses me off too. I sell loads on ebay. However, for what they charge there is no way I could get the same exposure for the same money elsewhere, therefore I wouldn't have the business. Many people see my products on ebay and end up doing business outside of the site, so in reality the value for money I get is pretty incredible.

Using Ebay also means my overheads are minimal. The stuff I make and sell is niche market but the input costs are very low so Ebay works very well for me.

I've been doing business there so long now and I've had almost no problems at all.

If you want to save money on listing fees use a host like Sellersourcebook. You can launch to Ebay direct, it's much quicker and you avoid photo fees and scheduling fees.

Another thing with Ebay is stuff makes strong money there compared with car boot sales, etc, so that kind of offsets the charges IMO.

I sell loads on ebay. However, for what they charge there is no way I could get the same exposure for the same money elsewhere, therefore I wouldn't have the business.

This is the point. If you think you can get £720 for the item, then stick a £5 ad in the local paper and be done with it. If you aren't confident of the local paper's capability to deliver a deep market, then pay ebay the fees.

Depends on the item, but loads of people put "cash only" on ads - particularly for stuff that has to be picked up. Another trick is to do free collection (with cash) but charge some outrageous postage charge. Either the person prices in the postage in their bid, or they come and pick it up paying cash.

This is the point. If you think you can get £720 for the item, then stick a £5 ad in the local paper and be done with it. If you aren't confident of the local paper's capability to deliver a deep market, then pay ebay the fees.

Depends on the item, but loads of people put "cash only" on ads - particularly for stuff that has to be picked up. Another trick is to do free collection (with cash) but charge some outrageous postage charge. Either the person prices in the postage in their bid, or they come and pick it up paying cash.

It's fine if you live in a major conurbation, however if you live out in the sticks and you put "collect only" on a moderate value item, you are going to get less for it..

Don't forget about the terrible exchange rate paypal offers you when buying goods in another currency...

This is one of the reasons I have FairFX prepaid Mastercards in USD and EUR - buying stuff from Ebay's and Amazon's European and US sites. FairFX's exchange rate when loading the card is not the best out there, but it's perfectly reasonable and a massive improvement on Paypal's.

They don't make it easy do they.

I just ordered some D3 for the winter on ebay and it is a ruddy nightmare.

I kept getting a confirm purchase on ebay and when I clicked on that I got sent to a paypal page with another confirm purchase button on it. When I clicked on that it took me back to the ebay page with the confirm purchase button on it - at which point you stop and think how many times am I ordering the one product?

I almost cancelled completely but, instead, waited for several minutes to see if I was about to get multiple purchase emails in my inbox. No wonder people are deserting ebay in droves.

In the end I clicked on 2 confirm purchase buttons on ebay and 2 on paypal - w*nk!

Maybe you can offer a "discount" for "non-paypal purchases" then add 10% to the price.

Then again I am sure I seen something in the T&C about how you shouldn't discourage how people pay... I would argue

the end price is what was agreed to be paid and the discount was outside what was agreed to be paid.

I don't see how any of their dictates would hold up in court as per the "Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations"

which basically states that terms not individually negotiated have to be fair. The onus on the mega-corp to prove they

are fair.

Also, competition law seeing has they are demanding Paypal and no other CC payments are accepted.

I wrote to the OFT and Trading Standards asking who was responsible for policing this etc, neither replied.

Your tax £'s at work.