House Price Crash Forum
Sour Mash

Uk Has Worst Quality Of Life Ineurope

can't believe no-one has posted this yet:

Grauniad

The UK has been named the worst place to live in Europe for quality of life, behind countries with damaged economies such as Ireland and Italy, according to the latest uSwitch quality of life index.

The UK emerged as having the second lowest hours of sunshine a year, the fourth highest retirement age, and the third lowest spend on health as a percentage of GDP.

Despite above average household income – the fourth highest in Europe – Britons have 5.5 fewer days holiday a year than the European average and endure a below average government spend on education.

UK households also struggle with a high cost of living, with food and diesel prices the highest in Europe, and unleaded petrol, alcohol and cigarettes all costing more than the European average.

As a result, more than one in 10 Britons (12%) said they are "seriously considering" emigrating, with "broken society" the biggest concern for 59% of those questioned, followed by the cost of living (49%), and crime and violence (47%). Just 5% of those questioned are happy in the UK.

Well, with houses costing such a phenomenal amount and requiring the average person to take on eye-watering amounts of debt to own, on top of all the other personal debt that are likely to be holding, shouldn't really be a surprise.

Still, a stupidly generous welfare system and little control on the experience/qualification of would-be immigrants make it a popular place to immigate to ...

Definitely not a surprise to me although those kind of misleading headlines annoy me "UK has 'worst quality of life in Europe'...Survey of 10 developed European countries"

can't believe no-one has posted this yet:

Grauniad

Well, with houses costing such a phenomenal amount and requiring the average person to take on eye-watering amounts of debt to own, on top of all the other personal debt that are likely to be holding, shouldn't really be a surprise.

Still, a stupidly generous welfare system and little control on the experience/qualification of would-be immigrants make it a popular place to immigate to ...

We need a blanket ban on Immigration + migrant workers from the A8 are meant to have workers registration documents for each and every employer they work for, however most only do this once at point of entry.

The Government passes the the buck on employers saying they shouldn't employ migrants but employers say UK nationals particularly teenagers are lazy, the truth is Migrant workers are cheaper to employ.

If the Government made it a requirement that every migrant worker had to have a registration document for EVERY employer and this registration document cost say £2K and that there were Government inspectors with powers to fine employers for every migrant worker not complying then maybe we might see the UK unemployment figures go down.

So why are half of you wanting to buy here? Or are you wanting to buy anymore?

Interesting question. We have to move soon due to other half moving jobs, we can buy, other half would like to as she's fed up paying rent. The money is there ready to go so no issues there and I believe inflation will most likely wipe out the debt anyway so I'm not too concerned by that either. What is holding me back however is that long-term I actually don't want to be here and I don't want to be acquiring stuff that ties me to the place either. The recession hasn't sorted anything out from what I've seen, in fact the place is now much worse. The system should have been cleansed of idiots but instead the idiots have been handed everything on a plate making them even more arrogant than they were before.

+1!

Only wage inflation will wipe away the (mortgage) debt, though, right?

It horrified me watching Newsnight last night when they said the middle class were wiped out during the Argentinian fiasco (I assume through devaluation of currency). I have NO assets, only cash savings right now. Gratfed hard for that for 4 years now - would be GUTTED if it all became worthless, but no way am I going to buy a place in this cesspit as a hedge when wages might not pick up (and the streets make you feel threatened). I think it is cheaper here than in other places... but for me it would be the people (drunk culture, yobs) and weather (and learning a new language!) etc I would move for.

Edited by guitarman001

I would guess that it depends entirely on who you ask really. My quality of life is fine. I enjoy my work, I live in a decent area, I mostly can afford to do what I want and the suns splitting the pavement this morning!

Life is good :D

We spend almost twice as much money on food when we are in France. My wife can't believe how cheap food is in the English supermarkets at the moment.

I agree.

In my experience, whenever I travel to Europe (Spain included), I see prices much higher than in the UK (with the exception of fuel and good wine in some cases).

A pint in Milan is 6€ or more, to give you an example.

Food is more expensive too.

I would guess that it depends entirely on who you ask really. My quality of life is fine. I enjoy my work, I live in a decent area, I mostly can afford to do what I want and the suns splitting the pavement this morning!

Life is good :D

Mods, this poster needs to be BANNED!

;)

Mods, this poster needs to be BANNED!

;)

I wasn't trolling, honest! I've suggested it a few times before, outside of the big cities, the quality of life in Scotland is fine, fine, fine! B)

Edit: For some reason I typed 'bug cities'. Can you have a Freudian keyboard slip?

Edited by AThirdWay

I wasn't trolling, honest! I've suggested it a few times before, outside of the bug cities, the quality of life in Scotland is fine, fine, fine! B)

Pointless.

What would your equivalent quality of life be somewhere else - just to say you're doing fine is irrelevant, unless you have something to cpompare it to.

+1!

It horrified me watching Newsnight last night when they said the middle class were wiped out during the Argentinian fiasco (I assume through devaluation of currency). I have NO assets, only cash savings right now. Gratfed hard for that for 4 years now - would be GUTTED if it all became worthless, but no way am I going to buy a place in this cesspit as a hedge when wages might not pick up (and the streets make you feel threatened). I think it is cheaper here than in other places... but for me it would be the people (drunk culture, yobs) and weather (and learning a new language!) etc I would move for.

I assume wage inflation is going to come at some point to complete this picture but it's hard to know, TPTB seem to be making it up as they go.

TBH I've been cheesed off with life here for a good 6-7 years now, way before the financial crisis hit. Sadly back then I didn't know what I know now otherwise I'd have taken faster steps in the right direction. Back then I didn't actually know what was wrong either, I just knew something wasn't right. Getting out is probably about the best step one can take, getting out and into a location that doesn't make you feel like a battery hen, a location where earned money actually has some value and worth that relates more closely to the effort and sweat put in to obtaining it.

When you take a look at some of the fundamentals of the UK, stuff like energy, water, climate, housing, culture, etc, the future doesn't look very rosy at all. We were fooking each other over in the good times so it doesn't take a genius to work out how grim it is going to get when things get really bad.

It's sad really, I grew up in a small mining village up North, a place were everyone knew everyone, where people would leave their doors unlocked, sit out in the street and chat. Nobody knows anyone there now.

Edited by MrFlibble

We spend almost twice as much money on food when we are in France. My wife can't believe how cheap food is in the English supermarkets at the moment.

Food prices are a reflection of ability to pay rather than anything else, the large majority of British people are getting poorer every year. In stark contrast food is very expensive in Australia for the obvious reason they have much higher salaries and a higher quality of life.

Shame my Australian mother would rather live in Britain than Australia due to fear of the uncertainties of moving. Alas the uncertainties of change are a British cultural bastion that I'm sure we are all proud of.

Due to the great legacy of British people hating change from the status quo we can expect more of the same, more corruption and more poverty as working class people slaves do not stand up for themselves.

We need a blanket ban on Immigration + migrant workers from the A8 are meant to have workers registration documents for each and every employer they work for, however most only do this once at point of entry.

The Government passes the the buck on employers saying they shouldn't employ migrants but employers say UK nationals particularly teenagers are lazy, the truth is Migrant workers are cheaper to employ.

If the Government made it a requirement that every migrant worker had to have a registration document for EVERY employer and this registration document cost say £2K and that there were Government inspectors with powers to fine employers for every migrant worker not complying then maybe we might see the UK unemployment figures go down.

We have a few Eastern Europeans where I work and they work much harder than some of the British folk - they get more done, will to work the overtime etc.

Quite often we can't get some of the British folk in for overtime because it plays hell with their top-up benefits.

Andy

A pint in Milan is 6€ or more, to give you an example.

Food is more expensive too.

I'm sure everything is more expensive in tourist destinations, however are these high prices representative for the whole country? You wouldn’t base your cost of living in Fife on London prices for example.

Is there any quality difference here or are you talking about the same foodstuffs just in the two different locations?

I must admit I've found a dramatic quality reduction in food over the last year or two. Fancied some fish the other day, thought I'd be OK with Birds Eye, tasted like sawdust. Chicken from anywhere but Waitrose or M&S now tastes of nothing.

+1!

The Middle Classes are always the biggest victims of hyperinflations. Their salaries, savings and pensions are generally wiped out. The working class become poorer too, of course, but generally manage to get by.

Those at the top usually at least manage to maintain their status as they have access to the means to protect their wealth - often even increasing it.

Nobody ever seems to mention the quality of the food. Yes, UK supermarket food is cheap and there is a wide range, but the quality is dire compared to what you can buy in an ordinary town in Portugal.

So why are half of you wanting to buy here? Or are you wanting to buy anymore?

I live in France but would look to buy a place in the UK to rent out as a hedge against war/economic collapse in Europe. Living in crappy UK could become the lesser evil.