House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hectors House

Panorama - Drinking Our Rivers Dry?

Most of our water comes from rivers, and environmentalists fear we are pushing some of them and the wildlife they support to the edge. With many of Britain's rivers at the limit of what can sustainably be taken from them, Simon Boazman investigates whether the water industry and its regulators are doing enough to protect the nation's rivers.

Panorama - Drinking our rivers dry

Most of the south east is at time of posting in drought, well they say drought when they actually mean "over extraction of water supplies" If there ever was an inconvenient truth then its about the water supply in Southern England (the most populated part of the UK), that is the natural resources of the area cannot sustain any further development nor increase in population.

We hear organisations like the National Home builders Federation harping on how they need more land to build the UK out of recession (or so they they think), in Hertfordshire which is has the very chalk aquifer that was discussed in the Panorama programme the builders and a neighbouring (Luton Borough) council (rather cheekily not a Hertfordshire authority) wanted to snatch countryside and build willy nilly everywhere (google Keep East of Luton Green).

The biggest problem with this is the area concerned is the Upper Mimram Valley (The River is a chalk stream which is the tributary of the River Lea/Lee which flows three miles to south of the propsed building sites (and has several pumping stations).

By building here rain water (that would fall on new estates) would not soak into the chalk aquifer but would be drained away as waste water + the pumping stations would not be able to cope with the thousands of new customers.

The scary thing is they reckon the population in the South East is going to expand by over a million, trouble is there is no way water can be provided from natural sources.

Where are this extra million coming from? The migration figures don't look good. That saying about the country is full is ringing true, we only have enough resources and its times the doors where shut.

The scary thing is they reckon the population in the South East is going to expand by over a million, trouble is there is no way water can be provided from natural sources.

balls.

the water can be tyransferred from the North except nimbys have so far blocked intentions to complete the link-up between northern and southern water companies

Where are this extra million coming from? The migration figures don't look good. That saying about the country is full is ringing true, we only have enough resources and its times the doors where shut.

bad grammar and populaist uninformed posts often go together, always a red flag

balls.

the water can be tyransferred from the North except nimbys have so far blocked intentions to complete the link-up between northern and southern water companies

If water can be transferred from the north as you say then it will have been done, I used to live in the Lake District and although it does rain a lot up there even purpose built reservoirs like Thirlmere (which supplies Greater Manchester) struggles with demand, perhaps before coming out with stupid statements you will do a bit of research numpty :D

Don't you just hate spelling/grammar Nazis? (oxygen thief as well) its a internet forum FFS!

balls.

+1

If they can build pipes that deliver gas from Russia to our door steps i'm sure they can build a water pipe from the lakes in the north to the houses in the south, they just don't want too.

+1

If they can build pipes that deliver gas from Russia to our door steps i'm sure they can build a water pipe from the lakes in the north to the houses in the south, they just don't want too.

Ok clever clogs explain where this water is coming from in the North exactly? explain how you get rainfall falling onto the land into a water pipe, building a water delivery system is easy finding water to supply it is another thing but please don't let me stop you...

So come on please do explain.

[should explain I used to work for a water utility]

That would account for your "can do" attitude.

How about a secondment to China? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South%E2%80%93North_Water_Transfer_Project

I said I used to, funny enough my next move was to the Environment Agency but that was a long time ago.

Seeing as Si1 and Downside have chickened out in reply to this thread here's the reasons why its hard to transfer water from the North.

A city like Greater Manchester is supplied by United Utilities (formerly North West Water) there are two major reservoirs in the Lake District (Thirlmere and Haweswater) plus water is extracted from Windermere and Ullswater, There are also some reservoirs just north of Bolton, even so the two main reservoirs are struggling to keep up with demand in the North West let alone supply anywhere else.

When it rains in the North the water isn't stored unless it goes into either a Lake or a reservoir, its just runs off into rivers which is why you often see rivers in flood up north. To supply London with water from the North of England would as has already been pointed out would need an expensive pipeline and yes water would be costing as much as petrol, but you would also need new reservoirs and to supply London and the South East, you would need to dam ever Valley in the Lake District several times over! I can't somehow see Patterdale or anywhere else being flooded can you?

Its not going to happen. Thames Water tried to build a reservoir to supply the Thames valley but NIMBY's kicked off about it, so if you really want water accept that you will have to have reservoirs in the South.

The plain fact is the further housing development in the South East can not be sustained.

If we can't transfer it from the North then there must be other ways, the UK gets rain pretty much all year round and were an Island surrounded by water for christ sake!

Maybe if we have some investment in some nuclear power plants we could then look at desalinisation plants to convert the sea water into useable driking water.

Also reason I never replied above is I do not know enough about water infrastructure all I know is the north gets lots of water and floods while the south seems to be lacking water so put 2 and 2 together.

If we can't transfer it from the North then there must be other ways, the UK gets rain pretty much all year round and were an Island surrounded by water for christ sake!

Maybe if we have some investment in some nuclear power plants we could then look at desalinisation plants to convert the sea water into useable driking water.

Also reason I never replied above is I do not know enough about water infrastructure all I know is the north gets lots of water and floods while the south seems to be lacking water so put 2 and 2 together.

It is a bit of a myth though that the north has an abundance of rain, yes it is heavier when it does rain but there's no way of storing it and there's never enough in summer months which is why the reservoirs up there struggle.

As for the rain in the south, we never get enough to top the natural resources up through out the winter, if we have a dry winter then expect a drought in summer, simples

As for nuclear power stations perhaps one can be purpose built near Thamesmead,

balls.

It would be a lot easier to transfer pro single mums etc up North. We could also offshore some prisoners (foreign citizens and lifers).