House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
muggle

Buy To Let:

Buy to let: rising rents cause problems for tenants

Rents have increased for the third consecutive quarter, according to research by Paragon, the buy to let lender.

But rising rents appear to be causing problems for many tenants. According to new research from the Money Advice Trust, the number of calls it receives about rent arrears has risen by 84pc in recent years.

A spokesman said: "Many first time buyers cannot get a mortgage so demand for rented property have risen. But with landlords pushing up rents this has left some people struggling to meet bills, particularly as this has coincided with a rise in inflation, particularly of food and fuel costs."

According to Paragon, a third of landlords increased rents across their property portfolios in the third quarter of this year – compared with just 29pc in the previous three months. Just over 10pc of landlords said their rental income had increased by between 2pc and 4pc, while 13pc of landlords increased rents by more than 4pc.

Only 4pc of the landlords surveyed for the quarterly report said they had experienced a decrease in their rental income... bla bla bla

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/8794511/Buy-to-let-rising-rents-cause-problems-for-tenants.html

Not much sympathy for the 'plight' of the poor landlords in the comments section though:

...It is very short sighted of landlords to go for big increases that may cause future rent arrears. A good rent paying tenant is worth far more than a few pounds extra, that we may never actually receive

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/8794511/Buy-to-let-rising-rents-cause-problems-for-tenants.html

Not much sympathy for the 'plight' of the poor landlords in the comments section though:

And another one: '...I would prefer a good tenant that pays on time and keeps the place clean, than be greedy.'

I've seen this attitude even on HUTH recently: good tenant paying a bit less will tend to want to stay longer - win all round.

Nearly dropped the iron out of shock.

And another one: '...I would prefer a good tenant that pays on time and keeps the place clean, than be greedy.'

I've seen this attitude even on HUTH recently: good tenant paying a bit less will tend to want to stay longer - win all round.

Nearly dropped the iron out of shock.

Been paying the same rent on my place since I moved in three years ago. I dutifully ignore all the requests to keep the place tidy and mow the lawn but I always pay on time.