House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Amazon Unveils Tablet That Undercuts Ipad’S Price

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/technology/amazon-unveils-tablet-that-undercuts-ipads-price.html?_r=1&ref=business

Seeking to stake a claim in the tablet computer market alongside Apple and Samsung, Amazon.com on Wednesday revealed plans to begin selling a color touch-screen tablet.

Named the Kindle Fire, the device has a 7-inch touch screen, weighs 14.6 ounces and is outfitted with a dual-core processor. But the most important feature may be the price. At $199 the Fire is less than half the price of the Apple iPad, which starts at $499. It is the first tablet from a major company to seriously undercut the iPad in price.

No more details in the article about how the ipad and fire spec up, but if they can do if for around £120 in the UK I might be interested so I can read electronic books. However if it's slow and sluggish then it's clearly not going to sell well once people discover that. Didn't HP have a model which was priced near the Ipad that didn't sell bit as soon as they slashed the price it flew off the shelves?

Although at the price Amazon are quoting will they have the quality parts to make it work???

Fantastic strategy IMO.

Amazon is, arguably, the only other company in the world to have a massive user base and a massive selection of downloadable media (and apps via Android)

This is a pitch against iTunes, not against the iPad.

I really wish that it will compete. We'll see. Of the current tablets out there the iPad is clearly superior to all. Not a fan boy but it is currently a fact of life.

If it's any less than £199 I'll eat my hat. The other Kindles are all higher priced in £'s than they are in $'s so don't bother using the exchange rate to make a comparison.

The tech specs don't sound like it is really a competitor for the iPad. It'll maybe play videos or something like iPlayer but it won't be much cop at games. The screen is smaller as well. Not sure if it has a camera either?

But it should easily get 2nd place because of the Kindle store and whatever else Amazon can sell on their platform like music, movies, apps, etc.

As the other poster said - it's not an iPad competitor - it turns Amazon into a fully fledged iTunes competitor. And it's possibly a better offering:

You aren't tethered to iTunes (one of the worst pieces of software ever) or a computer.

You can re-download stuff so you only keep the stuff you want in the cloud.

It does Flash.

It's a lot cheaper.

A curated Amazon app store gets rid of the annoyances of Google marketplace.

The flipside is that they will know practically everything about you due to their proxy web service. Stay well clear of the dodgy sites with this one.

but if they can do if for around £120 in the UK

Currently no plans to sell it outside the USA.

I wonder if part of the thinking behind this is to stimulate e-book sales. I've noticed on Amazon that a Kindle version of a newly published book (the sort of books that I buy at any rate - mainly academic monographs and edited collections of essays) is generally 10-15% cheaper than the physical version at most. For that discount I'm not interested - if it's only a couple of quid extra I'd rather have the real book on my shelf. If significant numbers of people are staying away from e-books for the same reason, that leaves Amazon with two choices: slash the price of e-books, or slash the price of the machines you read them on. So maybe they're trying the Gillette principle, i.e. selling the machine as a loss leader at a vastly subsidised headline price, but then making that money and then some on the software you need to do things with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/technology/amazon-unveils-tablet-that-undercuts-ipads-price.html?_r=1&ref=business

No more details in the article about how the ipad and fire spec up, but if they can do if for around £120 in the UK I might be interested so I can read electronic books. However if it's slow and sluggish then it's clearly not going to sell well once people discover that. Didn't HP have a model which was priced near the Ipad that didn't sell bit as soon as they slashed the price it flew off the shelves?

Although at the price Amazon are quoting will they have the quality parts to make it work???

Apparently it looks like the Blackberry Playbook, probably because Amazon have outsourced the building of the device to the same manufacturer rather than developing it in house. I gather their own tech teams offering in the tablet market was not ready to ship. Personally, I would hold fire before buying because £200 vanilla Android tablets will eventually be the norm without any tedious store lock ins. BTW the idea that Apple will be driven from the market on price alone is laughable as their products have never attempted to undercut the oppostion in this area. The big weakness for Apple is that POS Itunes which IMHO is the main reason for avoiding their products.

I wonder if part of the thinking behind this is to stimulate e-book sales. I've noticed on Amazon that a Kindle version of a newly published book (the sort of books that I buy at any rate - mainly academic monographs and edited collections of essays) is generally 10-15% cheaper than the physical version at most. For that discount I'm not interested - if it's only a couple of quid extra I'd rather have the real book on my shelf. If significant numbers of people are staying away from e-books for the same reason, that leaves Amazon with two choices: slash the price of e-books, or slash the price of the machines you read them on. So maybe they're trying the Gillette principle, i.e. selling the machine as a loss leader at a vastly subsidised headline price, but then making that money and then some on the software you need to do things with it.

Amazon still have a bit of a problem in the Ebooks market because from what I can see many titles still can not be purchased in the Kindle store because publishers have not made them available.

I do like this bit of kit.

Agreed - at first I was disappointed because the specs are lacking and it runs a locked down, customised version of Android.

However, it isn't supposed to be a top spec 'Android tablet' (or even an Android tablet) ... its goal is to be a useful, affordable appliance that consumers are going to want to buy NOT a techie gadget.

So they've made it cheap most importantly and it'll be great for the sorts of things you actually want to do such as web surfing on the couch and watching video (plus should be decent for reading too, not as good as a proper eInk device but good enough for short periods of time). They're also lauding the fact that it will give access to Amazon's cloud services such as streaming music and video (free, if you are on their premium 'Prime' service).

A really, really clever move.

If they were to sell in the UK at ~£160 I think they'd clean up. With the current economy, people don't want to spend a fortune on techie gadgets. God knows how Apple still keep selling their overpriced tchotchkes, they've got to be running out of debt-junkie morons by now.

You aren't tethered to iTunes (one of the worst pieces of software ever) or a computer.

Glad it's not just me that thinks this - Apple lost me as a customer after my first Ipad when I realised I had to change the file type of all my music files to get them to play through the monstrosity that is iTunes.

As the other poster said - it's not an iPad competitor - it turns Amazon into a fully fledged iTunes competitor. And it's possibly a better offering:

You can re-download stuff so you only keep the stuff you want in the cloud.

It does Flash.

It's a lot cheaper.

A curated Amazon app store gets rid of the annoyances of Google marketplace.

The flipside is that they will know practically everything about you due to their proxy web service. Stay well clear of the dodgy sites with this one.

...agreed ..I download all my music from Amazon Music Downloads to my iTunes (PC) and then on to my iPod and Android Phone etc and avoid the self serving restrictions of iTunes music downloads....no brainer.... :rolleyes:

...the problem is not Amazon ...it's the publishers who decide the ebook price ...but ebook self publishing will drive the prices down bypassing publishing houses....unless they start facing the real market some of these dinosaurs will experience extinction ...Amazon have everything to gain having sold 17 million Kindle readers to date and now they have two new versions coming in at under $100 for each unit ...one $79 another $99....one UK price confirmed at £89...says it all as US model repriced at $79..... :rolleyes:

Alongside the Kindle Fire, Amazon also announced a refresh of its Kindle e-readers.

The entry level device has had its keyboard removed and will now sell for $79, down from $99. Amazon UK announced that the new version would retail at £89.

A version with limited touchscreen capability, known as the Kindle Touch, will sell for $99. Only the US pricing has been announced so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15096655

...ps..why bother when you can download Kindle or any ebook reader software on to your PC or say Android phone ..and read from there...that's what I do ...at least until eReaders in the UK are priced fairly..... :rolleyes:

...the problem is not Amazon ...it's the publishers who decide the ebook price ...but ebook self publishing will drive the prices down bypassing publishing houses....unless they start facing the real market some of these dinosaurs will experience extinction ...Amazon have everything to gain having sold 17 million Kindle readers to date and now they have two new versions coming in at under $100 for each unit ...one $79 another $99....one UK price confirmed at £89...says it all as US model repriced at $79..... :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15096655

...ps..why bother when you can download Kindle or any ebook reader software on to your PC or say Android phone ..and read from there...that's what I do ...at least until eReaders in the UK are priced fairly..... :rolleyes:

Self publishing books sounds easy in the digital age but in practise it is very hard to make it pay and you cant even promote your product by playing live gigs which is how many of the self publishing musicians and bands survive.

Never understood why the ipad sold so many. Still don't understand why tablets sell either, when you can buy a mid range net or notebook at half the price that weighs just a little more but it has: Flash, USB ports, can email, surf, word process, play movies, run proper applications, not just "apps". Anything that breaks up the ludicrous itunes monopoly should be encouraged, but so far the alternative tablets just don't cut it.

First we have Microsoft, the Goliath, repeatedly fined for monopolistic practices, then along comes David Jobs and now David is Goliath, but so far without being fined for very similar practices.

Nothing will really change until an oversized phone becomes a proper computer and a computer is also a phone (not just a skype communicator). The technology has been there for years but the manufacturers want to keep the two functions separate for obvious reasons.

I wonder if part of the thinking behind this is to stimulate e-book sales. I've noticed on Amazon that a Kindle version of a newly published book (the sort of books that I buy at any rate - mainly academic monographs and edited collections of essays) is generally 10-15% cheaper than the physical version at most. For that discount I'm not interested - if it's only a couple of quid extra I'd rather have the real book on my shelf.

I'm the opposite. As are, I suspect, many of us.

Paper books take lots of space. They're a luxury of the rich, who have that space to spare. E-books suddenly mean I can have a decent library within the space I have available.

Glad it's not just me that thinks this - Apple lost me as a customer after my first Ipad when I realised I had to change the file type of all my music files to get them to play through the monstrosity that is iTunes.

Erm - why? You only need to associate your music file types with your choice of application.

I use musescore. Or just a web browser if I'm listening passively.

because your PC or Android device has an old-fashioned backlit screen?

Erm - why? You only need to associate your music file types with your choice of application.

I use musescore. Or just a web browser if I'm listening passively.

The original iPod/iTunes didn't work with the mp3 format.