House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tonytramcar

New York Stock Exchange

Apropos of nothing - I have long been puzzled about the crowd of people who stand around grinning and clapping at the opening and closing of the NYSE. What on earth is there to applaud ?

Just curious !

Apropos of nothing - I have long been puzzled about the crowd of people who stand around grinning and clapping at the opening and closing of the NYSE. What on earth is there to applaud ?

Just curious !

I have noticed the same thing on the X-factor.

Just curious !

I once heard someone speak about that. They applaud the fact that they successfully creamed they commissions IIRC. So whether the market goes up or down it's been a good day for them.

Just curious !

Often the bell is rung by a member of a company who is listing that day, so it's a bit of a welcome ceremony(I presume you mean the people in the mini balcony above the trading floor) Dunno if there are always enough companies listing to ensure a ceremony every day, perhaps they find others to fill any gaps.

Edited by cheeznbreed

Often the bell is rung by a member of a company who is listing that day, so it's a bit of a welcome ceremony(I presume you mean the people in the mini balcony above the trading floor) Dunno if there are always enough companies listing to ensure a ceremony every day, perhaps they find others to fill any gaps.

Sometimes they just have random famous people too.

That's my understanding too.

On the Nasdaq, where is there no physical trading floor, they put people in a little TV studio and film them ringing a bell when there is no one there to hear it ring. Tree, forest, no one, etc.

Just curious !

They are applauding CAPITALISM!

They are cheering how they worship growth figures whilst producing nothing of value themselves.

They are extatic they can take a % from everyone's profit or loss regardless of the market conditions.

They are loving that no matter how badly they ****** up the government will never let their businesses fail.

They are grinning that their next bonus will be fat with the profits of re-pricing paper and government bailouts.