House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil_C

Garden Orientation And The Sun....

Hi

I'm in the process of looking at houses and may well be putting in an offer on one very soon....only thing bugging me is the rear garden. I have attached a picture with the plot marked in red. The rear garden faces NE however to the east is pretty clear of other properties with only a small garage. The garden is also quite long, maybe 30+ft - how much sun do you reckon the garden would catch during the day. I think morning and afternoon would be ok and maybe to the bottom of the garden in the evening.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

garden.png

Hi

I'm in the process of looking at houses and may well be putting in an offer on one very soon....only thing bugging me is the rear garden. I have attached a picture with the plot marked in red. The rear garden faces NE however to the east is pretty clear of other properties with only a small garage. The garden is also quite long, maybe 30+ft - how much sun do you reckon the garden would catch during the day. I think morning and afternoon would be ok and maybe to the bottom of the garden in the evening.

garden.png

None, if future summers are anything like the one we just had.:ph34r:

Hi

garden.png

If you're so worried, why not get something on the other side of the road when it becomes available? You'll regret it if you dont. ;)

Hi

garden.png

If you're so worried, why not get something on the other side of the road when it becomes available? You'll regret it if you dont. ;)

ok I get your point....no need to repeat yourself lol ;)

Presumably the houses opposite are the same. On a sunny day, see how long their shadows are in the street. Then using google earth measure from their front wall out into the street to the point where you saw the end of the shadow. Plot this then in your prospective back yard.

Personally speaking and I assume that it matters also to you as you are asking this question,

Garden orientation is one of the most important aspects of a house, certainly more important than outside appearance (how much time do you spend gazing at its looks) and possibly the internal layout, which often you can change. You cannot change the plot orientation.

I would not buy anything where the garden did not face south/Southwest and get full sun into the evening. Not only would I want to grow veg, but unless you are retired or work from home, the only time you get to sit outside is the evening, unless you drive or cycle somewhere. Do you really want to be in shade or right down the furthest corner of the garden miserable that the homeowners opposite are enjoying the sun?

As another post said. If it matters and you compromise you will regret the decision.

But they are just my opinions, being indoors does not suit me.

My garden is north facing (well slightly north west), but I think the main aspect is to face west (to south west). I never sit in my garden in the mornings, but do in the evenings. However my patio gets full sun in the evening, which I find acceptable. One thing I definitely want in my next house is to have my lounge patio doors to face west - I hate how it is constantly dark in the winter, and as it's cold you never want to go outside.

you'd get sero sun in that location at this time of year and even in peak summer you'd be shut off from around 4/5pm.

south through to northwest at most facing is what you want.

If you are on the south side of a hill you get a lot more sun than if you are on the north. On a flat piece of land, there is no such thing as garden orientation. It all depends if you are standing at the north end or the south end. The only possible problem could be with shadows from the house. Yet when the sun is high this does not matter much. You can see from the picture the house is not casting a shadow. That tree on the far right is though.

I did actually work out what shadow size would be cast by my house, and if my house was in london on the longest day it was about 2.5meters shadow. Also, the slope of the roof was not steep enough to cast an additional shadow outside the house footprint (in the summer anyway).

On the photo above, I see this is a conservatory so the shadow cast would be very small indeed. The only downside is if you want to sit in the sun inside on a winters day, but you might be able to do that with the front windows (but most people have net curtains etc).

Hi

I think morning and afternoon would be ok and maybe to the bottom of the garden in the evening.

I rented a house with a north facing garden and it was shit! If you have to buy don't buy anything with an N in back garden orientation ... if you get my meaning ;)

Can't agree there, curb appeal is what the buyer initially sees, who wants to live in a property without appeal?

I agree about gardens being important though, north south east or west facing.

I see you are not a gardener then....appeal for many people would be outside space warm enough to sit in giving them an extra outside room for much of the year. ;)

No, I'm very much in to our garden and have done loads to it in respect of cutting down trees, replanting shrubs, bulbs, new fencing etc, it's just that curb appeal is what gets (the majority of) people through the door.

As it is in the height of summer I'd say 30% of our garden is in the shade while the rest of it isn't, you plant plants accordingly.

True....I have the aspect but also the trees, I couldn't bring myself to cut down the trees the positives outweigh the negatives. ;)

Just to cure up confusion is the difference between a north facing and south facing (rear garden) because although the sun moves east to west (appears to, i know!) across the sky it is in the southern sky?

Lol I actually found that video quite entertaining!

Actually knowing where the sun is, is also useful when navigating unfamiliar places without a compass, such as a city centre. The long autumn shadows are great for that.

We have a NW garden, its not too bad but I would certainly only buy a house with a south-ish facing garden. Of course, new build houses and slave boxes don't really bear thinking about.

We have a nice garden, but evening meals outside are ruined by the 1...2...3...4...possibly 5 dogs that live in the surrounding houses.

****s.

Hi

garden.png

Am I being stupid, or can you tell from the shadows in this photo?

Try buying a house 2000 miles further south, then it won't matter.

(I'm always helpful) ;)

Seriously though, if sun matters to you, Scotland is an odd choice.

Living in Scotland it matters even more!