House Price Crash Forum
Guest rigsby II

Hi-rise Chic

Guest rigsby II

Barnsley is a music-hall joke town, but at least I thought we knew who we were, flat caps, black pudding and women with dropped-arses and bingo-wings ...

But oh no, now we have to try and copy all those other cheap-sh*t studio and 1/2 bed apartments in other towns and cities.

Very 23rd century Gerry Anderson Thunderbirds computer model.

14945_Gateway_IMG_01.jpg

Does it have far reaching views over a river ? Has it got nice views of tree-lined roads and boulevards ?

Has it sh*ite, it overlooks a down-trodden 1960s concrete Barnsley market, selling hoover bags and a diesel fumed p*ss soaked bus station inhabited by tramps and crack-heads.

Needless to say they are trying to sell it as 'an exciting investment opportunity'

Worlds gone mad...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-769...pa_n=9&tr_t=buy

Needless to say they are trying to sell it as 'an exciting investment opportunity'

Bloody awful. These flats will be the slums of the future, and are exactly the type of wrong housing for this country that should not even have seen the light of day.

What is wrong with these people. I have never seen so much cr@p being built as I have seen in the last 4/5 years. These are the slums of the future.

Have we not learnt our lesson from the 1960's and post war house building.

I live near Manchester and I have watched as the old high rise slums have been pulled down only to be replaced with new blocks of cheaply built flats that are already looking tired and old. Manchester new slums of the future

If there is anything that brings it home just how much the housing market is dominated by vested interests rather than community needs it is the current state of housing development and building.

I'm on a rant now so don't stop me

In most major cities in this country there a streets and streets on good quality housing stood boarded up and very liittle attempt to regenerate the area. Not cr@p flats but good quality 2/3 bedroom housing with enough space to bring up a family and streets outside for kids to play. These were once thriving communities. What went wrong?

We do not have a shortgage of housing.

And now I am really going to upset some people.....

I am fed up of hearing the country side folk bleating about the dire consequences of building on green belt land. Now I am not suggesting concreting over the countryside...I love the country side but lets be realistic.

a) There is lots of it

B) Not all countryside is National Park, Protected Heritage, National Treasure stuff

c) We have always built in the countryside to accomodate expanded populations...if we hadn't most of our industrial towns wouldn't exist.

Why should a good proportion of the population live in high rise shoeboxes in order to protect every last blade of grass?

Once again..I am not suggesting concreting over the countryside...just suggesting we should be a little more realistic.

We do not have a shortage of land.

What we have is

a) vested interests allowed to run unfettered

B) a cr@ap economy

c) a spineless government

Right...rant over for now.. feel better for that.

I suppose I should get my coat?

Guest Bart of Darkness
Very 23rd century Gerry Anderson Thunderbirds computer model.

You're not wrong there, it looks like a left over design for part of Marineville (Stingray).

MHospitalmed.jpg

twr1.jpg

I know the area where this development is planned for and, like a lot of "Centro" living, the view on a Friday or Saturday night will not be very inspiring. These flats are surely destined to go downhill only a few years after being built.

There are plenty of places around Barnsley I'd live in (if only I could afford 'em) but not in the centre of town, not at any price.

post-2284-1128714200_thumb.jpg

post-2284-1128714296_thumb.jpg

I had previously thought maybe naiively that flats (sorry, two bed luxury apartments) were for people who couldn't afford houses or who especially enjoyed hearing the chavs upstairs stagger to the bathroom to throw up at midnight then come back and put the stereo on and skin up.

When was it that flats became worth the same or more than an equivalent house?

Fair enough if it's in a terrific central location for the City where you wouldn't exactly expect to see a row of detached houses.

If it's in a hovel (and I am not suggesting this is, I have never been there and can't comment though I can contrast it with the locations of some of the cardboard developments in Blackpool), the only thing I can see that gives a boost to prices is fashion.

Flats (sorry, two bed luxury apartments, I keep missing the terminology) have been made somewhat fashionable as has, for example laminate flooring.

Just as the fashion of laminate flooring will eventually be replaced by carpet, I don't see why these "fashion" flats should stay in vogue for long, especially if there's even a whiff of negative equity?

Barnsley is a music-hall joke town, but at least I thought we knew who we were, flat caps, black pudding and women with dropped-arses and bingo-wings ...

Has it sh*ite, it overlooks a down-trodden 1960s concrete Barnsley market, selling hoover bags and a diesel fumed p*ss soaked bus station inhabited by tramps and crack-heads.

Worlds gone mad...

I think thas doing Barnsley darn lad!

Last time I went for a Freday nite art in't tarn centre there wo sum reet stunners knocking rarnd. 6" heels and 2" mini skirts were't order ont day.

And't as fot market? Best in Yorkshire!

Edited by ILBB