House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BA Baracas

Rent Increases

Dear all,

My landlady has been speaking to her letting agent who has told her that she can get between £100 and £300 more than I am currently paying (in Ealing). I got 3 months left on my contract so the writing is on the wall.

I read somewhere recently that rent arrears has been rising recently so wondered if anyone had some stats that I can throw back. My best play is to highlight the risks - I'm not paying any more for the flat.

Ta

No stats but to just say I have observed landlords asking for increased rents because in some cases they can get them, but I also see even today and last week plenty of landlords left with a void because they got swept up in media sensationalism on rents rising. They're not rising everywhere, and rises where effected may even be temporary, who knows. Increasingly seeing landlords chopping the price back down to earth as existing tenant vacation day approaches, it's not plain sailing for the BTLs

My landlady has been speaking to her letting agent who has told her that she can get between £100 and £300 more than I am currently paying (in Ealing). I got 3 months left on my contract so the writing is on the wall.

Agent: "tell Baracas you can get a lot more rent, and (s)he'll be mighty relieved to accept a more modest inflation+ increase"

You: "You know why the agent tells you that?"

Landlady: yes?

You: "If I leave they have to look for another tenant, and they get to charge both you and them a fat fee"

I'm in Ealing and my 1 years agreement is up in 3 months too funnily enough. Nothing from my landlady yet but I am expecting an email with a request for more rent sooner or later. My response will be that if she wants more money she can pay for a new boiler and central heating system as the british gas guy who came to inspect it a few months ago said that it is barely scraping by as acceptable as there is no vent to let air in to the flat. Luckily we are on the top floor, the flat is really warm and even in winter we have 1 window open in the kitchen.

Just out of curiosity how many beds is your place? Mine is 2 bed about 10-15 mins walk north from Ealing broadway and I am already paying a little bit above average considering the distance from the station. Top floor and 2 toilets may contribute to that but no way I am paying any more.

I'm in Ealing and my 1 years agreement is up in 3 months too funnily enough. Nothing from my landlady yet but I am expecting an email with a request for more rent sooner or later. My response will be that if she wants more money she can pay for a new boiler and central heating system as the british gas guy who came to inspect it a few months ago said that it is barely scraping by as acceptable as there is no vent to let air in to the flat. Luckily we are on the top floor, the flat is really warm and even in winter we have 1 window open in the kitchen.

Just out of curiosity how many beds is your place? Mine is 2 bed about 10-15 mins walk north from Ealing broadway and I am already paying a little bit above average considering the distance from the station. Top floor and 2 toilets may contribute to that but no way I am paying any more.

Hi Pepto, I'm just north of Ealing Broadway (2 mins walk) and its a 2 bed also. Its a fair size flat and a great location but being pushed a bit out of my league.

Thanks all for your comments. I'm working out my response.

I'm originally from Ealing.

My best mate is moving into a Studio and the asking prices are around the £750 - £800 mark for a pretty shit place. So yeah things have gone up, and the letting agents are doing some really questionable things.

I went with him to a Studio just behind Ealing Broadway centre. The letting agent let slip that they had already taken 6 "holding deposits" for the very flat we were in.

We questioned him more on it, and he goofed around as he must have accidentally let it out. He then told us that if my mate was interested, he needed to pay a holding deposit now in order to "take it off the market".

We pointed out that the previous 6 "holding deposit" payers had not resulted in it getting taken off the market, so why would my mate pay like another one of those idiots. He just said that it had to paid if he was interested and that if he was unsuccessful he'd get the money back.

Yeah right. After several months of hassle.

Chiswick here. Flatshare. 3 bed, BIG, Victorian place on river.

Rent was £1603 (between 3) and just had our annual rise to £1625. Yup a whole £22 a month.

My bf, also in West London just had his landlord try on a £300 rise on a £2,300pm property. They told him to go screw himself (I'd be here all day listing what's wrong with the place) and he negotiated it down to £150pm (between 4).

I rent a place which is owned by a property management company, not a private landlord worrying about their BTL mortgage. I'm thinking this is the safer route.

There are bargains out there and not everyone is hiking up prices.

Superted: Sounds about right for your mate for a studio £700-£800, and I've considered it at times when my flatmates have p*ssed me off, but in reality it's a complete rip off. So much more space in a share and better quality property. Only downside is other people around but that has it's upsides too plus it's about £400pm cheaper.

Edited by Starla

Superted: Sounds about right for your mate for a studio £700-£800, and I've considered it at times when my flatmates have p*ssed me off, but in reality it's a complete rip off. So much more space in a share and better quality property. Only downside is other people around but that has it's upsides too plus it's about £400pm cheaper.

Starla, how much would a 1 bedroomed flat be to rent in your preferred area, out of curiousity? :unsure:

For a flat with an actual bedroom, in Chiswick, starting figure seems to be about £1,000pm, plus bills of say £200+ish, so all in your're looking at a minimum of £1,200pm.

Which explains why I'm prepared to flat share for £700pm all in.

I really feel for the OP because a massive proposed rent hike like that is the last thing you need.

Edited by Starla

For a flat with an actual bedroom, in Chiswick, starting figure seems to be about £1,000pm, plus bills of say £200+ish, so all in your're looking at a minimum of £1,200pm.

Which explains why I'm prepared to flat share for £700pm all in.

I really feel for the OP because a massive proposed rent hike like that is the last thing you need.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Good luck with the counter-argument, BA Baracas.

London prices sound crazy, but then I guess the wages are much higher as well.

Don't they just! you can get a 3 bed semi with garden round my way for £750 a month and I thought that was expensive! and no I don't live up north :lol:

Thanks for the reply. :)

Good luck with the counter-argument, BA Baracas.

Thanks Matt,

It will be like one of those old cartoons with a devil and an angel talking into each of my landlady's ears.

The letting agent "Yes, you can squeeze more rent out of your fantastic property - you know it's worth it"

Me "Have you had a look at the economy, redundancies. Better to have a stable and reliable tenant than take the risk"

P.S I'm the angel in case anyone had any doubts :)