House Price Crash Forum
Redback911

Ftb And We Went To View Our First House Last Weekend...

Hi All,

My wife and I have been looking for a house in Cumbria and although we are in no hurry to buy, we are on the lookout for something special and reasonably priced in the Lake District. Last weekend we found a newly renovated cottage sitting in four acres of land:

http://www.houseprices.co.uk, does anyone have an alternative site/method, of checking the purchase price? Overall a nice cottage, but with a small lounge and 2.5 bedrooms. After 40 minutes we were hurried off when the next viewers arrived.

A few points:

• On market since April, the asking price is 300k, the chap mentioned this was absolutely the best price and they could not go any lower.
  • Over 50 viewings and its still up for sale.
  • Its listed on Rightmove and the seller mentioned it "sits in 4 acres" of land. Google Earth measurement and my own observations show that the land is actually vastly smaller. around 1.5 acres. This is worrying, if they are willing to lie about the land what else is there.
  • Estate agent is totally unresponsive, it took two phone calls to arrange a viewing and no one from the agency followed up with us after the viewing.
  • The house is semi-detached, we did not realise this until we arrived. The neighbours house needs quite a bit of work and the attached roof on there side is sagging.
    Overall we were disappointed, we are probably naive but were surprised in vastly over estimation of the land and apathy of the agents.
Edited by Redback911

Arrived Saturday. and met the very nice owners, no sign of the estate agent (is that typical they do not attend viewings?). The property is owned by serial property developers and they had purchased the house 12 months previously. Nothing showed on http://www.houseprices.co.uk, does anyone have an alternative site/method, of checking the purchase price? Overall a nice cottage, but with a small lounge and 2.5 bedrooms. After 40 minutes we were hurried off when the next viewers arrived.

[*]Its listed on Rightmove and the seller mentioned it "sits in 4 acres" of land. Google Earth measurement and my own observations show that the land is actually vastly smaller. around 1.5 acres. This is worrying, if they are willing to lie about the land what else is there.

[*]Estate agent is totally unresponsive, it took two phone calls to arrange a viewing and no one from the agency followed up with us after the viewing.

[*]The house is semi-detached, we did not realise this until we arrived. The neighbours house needs quite a bit of work and the attached roof on there side is sagging.

Overall we were disappointed, we are probably naive but were surprised in vastly over estimation of the land and apathy of the agents.

You need to make many comparisons to develop judgment over the price of an area - not easy if few sales and lots of different properties. Just keep looking if you are intent on buying at the moment. OFFER LOW AND HAGGLE HARD.

Strange that the sold prices are not available for that road generally. You can get them at HMLR but have to pay think. I found one terraced 3 bed in that postcode sold in 2008 for £170k.

Noticed this for sale. http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=8464802 for comparison... best to wait on buying though. Biggest falls still to come.

[*]The house is semi-detached, we did not realise this until we arrived. The neighbours house needs quite a bit of work and the attached roof on there side is sagging.

I suspected as much looking at the photos which seemed to be trying to avoid something i.e. the other half of the building :P Looking at the Property Bee info they added the word 'attached' into the description as an afterthought a couple of months after listing it.

I really don't know why they think failing to clearly describe such a crucial feature is the best policy. Surely it's better to have fewer viewings with people knowing what to expect rather than more viewings where most are immediately disappointed.

Over 50 viewings and still up for sale?

Winter's coming, hard time to sell - go back in March 2012.

Yup, exactly.

I suspected as much looking at the photos which seemed to be trying to avoid something i.e. the other half of the building :P Looking at the Property Bee info they added the word 'attached' into the description as an afterthought a couple of months after listing it.

I really don't know why they think failing to clearly describe such a crucial feature is the best policy. Surely it's better to have fewer viewings with people knowing what to expect rather than more viewings where most are immediately disappointed.

Noticed this for sale. http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=8464802 for comparison... best to wait on buying though. Biggest falls still to come.

The house that PE found is the house "attached". Stupidly, we missed the "attached" bit in the advert and sure enough we turned up and found a nice looking cottage with the second house for sale attached to the back. Slight disappointment turned to big disappointment when we were told the land we could see was the fabled "4 acres".

Thanks for links and thoughts. You are all correct, we will wait till next year and maybe keep an eye on the house. Buying both for 300k would be perfect, having somewhere to stick the extended family when they visit.

As someone pointed out above, it is really important to view multiple properties so that you can get your own feel for the market.

When I was a FTB I viewed about 20 places in two weeks, essentially every single 3 bed property in the town! Towards the end of this burst I knew more about the market than some of the agents. It's kinda empowering to tell the agent you saw a nicer property round the corner asking for less when they swear blind the house really is worth X.

Ended up buying a place that came back on the market after a sale fell through, owners had moved to OZ and needed to get a quick sale. Worked out well in the end.

Personally I think if you have plenty of choice then go for something else. If this place is standing out from the crowd then obviously you will be prepared to put more effort in to overcome the problems. I sometimes read people saying how the only place they really liked the look of is asking much more than other places in the area. Well if it's the nicest then of course it will cost more! If there is plenty of choice then just look elsewhere. Simples!

Agents can be a mixed bunch, some are actually very helpful and knowledgable, others clearly don't want to be there. It isn't uncommon for owners to do their own viewings. The more places you see the more you'll meet! Make a mental note of the good ones, useful when it comes to sell.

As someone pointed out above, it is really important to view multiple properties so that you can get your own feel for the market.

When I was a FTB I viewed about 20 places in two weeks, essentially every single 3 bed property in the town! Towards the end of this burst I knew more about the market than some of the agents. It's kinda empowering to tell the agent you saw a nicer property round the corner asking for less when they swear blind the house really is worth X.

Ended up buying a place that came back on the market after a sale fell through, owners had moved to OZ and needed to get a quick sale. Worked out well in the end.

Personally I think if you have plenty of choice then go for something else. If this place is standing out from the crowd then obviously you will be prepared to put more effort in to overcome the problems. I sometimes read people saying how the only place they really liked the look of is asking much more than other places in the area. Well if it's the nicest then of course it will cost more! If there is plenty of choice then just look elsewhere. Simples!

Agents can be a mixed bunch, some are actually very helpful and knowledgable, others clearly don't want to be there. It isn't uncommon for owners to do their own viewings. The more places you see the more you'll meet! Make a mental note of the good ones, useful when it comes to sell.

Excellent suggestions, thanks for pointers.

Welcome to the site by the way!