House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
littlemisssaddo

Whoops - Broke Neighbours Door Pane

Hi All,

This is my first post but have lurked on here for ooooh, 4 years or so.

I was hoping someone could give me a little bit of advice. Last October or so, I managed to break a pane of glass in my neighbours door. He has a small ricketty porch area with an outer door consisting of many small glass panes (a number of them cracked), with an secure inner door. As it is a shared access drive, the only way I can get out is to pass his house, and the pathway is very narrow just wide enough to take a bin through.

Anyway, I was attempting to bring back my bin, manouvering it through the gateway (next to his porch door) and the wind managed to take it and the corner of the bin, smashed one of the glass panes. which I think already had a large crack in it. I did what I could and took out the broken glass as the cats use the porch area to get out of the rain etc and as there was no answer when I knocked, I put a quick letter through the door to apologise and to take responsibility for the smashed glass incase the neighbour thought there was an attempted break in. When I saw the neighbour, he was fine about it and had told the letting agency, and I heard no more about it. Until now.

His landlady has since dropped the letting agency and came to have a look around his house in the summer. She noticed the boarded up area and when he told her about it she said she'd get the glaziers to get a quote and would send me the bill. Which I am fine with for the actual pane that I smashed (although it is nearly a year later), but I have a feeling that she be wanting to charge for all the panes that are cracked (there are 6 of them). Considering the pane that I broke more than likely had a crack in it at the time of the incident, which I am willing to overlook, I would like to know where I stand if she tries to bill me for the other cracks. The porch area is old, and the windows there also have cracks in them (which are obviously caused by other factors), and prior to the incident many panes near the door handle (where I caught the glass) were cracked.

Thanks for reading and hopefully I wont have to be too out of pocket!

Hi All,

This is my first post but have lurked on here for ooooh, 4 years or so.

I was hoping someone could give me a little bit of advice. Last October or so, I managed to break a pane of glass in my neighbours door. He has a small ricketty porch area with an outer door consisting of many small glass panes (a number of them cracked), with an secure inner door. As it is a shared access drive, the only way I can get out is to pass his house, and the pathway is very narrow just wide enough to take a bin through.

Anyway, I was attempting to bring back my bin, manouvering it through the gateway (next to his porch door) and the wind managed to take it and the corner of the bin, smashed one of the glass panes. which I think already had a large crack in it. I did what I could and took out the broken glass as the cats use the porch area to get out of the rain etc and as there was no answer when I knocked, I put a quick letter through the door to apologise and to take responsibility for the smashed glass incase the neighbour thought there was an attempted break in. When I saw the neighbour, he was fine about it and had told the letting agency, and I heard no more about it. Until now.

His landlady has since dropped the letting agency and came to have a look around his house in the summer. She noticed the boarded up area and when he told her about it she said she'd get the glaziers to get a quote and would send me the bill. Which I am fine with for the actual pane that I smashed (although it is nearly a year later), but I have a feeling that she be wanting to charge for all the panes that are cracked (there are 6 of them). Considering the pane that I broke more than likely had a crack in it at the time of the incident, which I am willing to overlook, I would like to know where I stand if she tries to bill me for the other cracks. The porch area is old, and the windows there also have cracks in them (which are obviously caused by other factors), and prior to the incident many panes near the door handle (where I caught the glass) were cracked.

Thanks for reading and hopefully I wont have to be too out of pocket!

Take a picture before anything gets repaired or replaced. Offer to replace the pane that you prossibly broke. Get a price yourself and she can offset your amount from the cost of replacing all the glass.

This way keeps it all friendly. Date and keep copies of any letters.

If you really are concerned. stick the picture onto a sheet of paper with an arrow pointing at the pane that you felt responsible for and get the current tenant to sign/confirm that your responsibility ends with that pane.

Most importantly, don`t let this minor thing give you sleepness nights.. Not worth it.

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

I've taken photos of the door, the only thing that concerns me is that all the other panes with cracks are around the one that I smashed so the landlady might try to claim that they were also caused by me.

Hopefully it'll all work out -thanks again!

Probably a bit too late for you now, but assuming its single glazing, I would have just bought a a small pane of glass & tub of putty & replaced it myself. A professional glazier (unless you're mates) will charge far far more than it actually costs just to do a simple job of replacing the pane of glass you broke.

Probably a bit too late for you now, but assuming its single glazing, I would have just bought a a small pane of glass & tub of putty & replaced it myself. A professional glazier (unless you're mates) will charge far far more than it actually costs just to do a simple job of replacing the pane of glass you broke.

Small section, as in like georgian windows, cost me about £50 a few years ago, so if its single glazed wouldnt have thought it would be more than about £70 now (absolute tops). cost you next to nothing for a bit of glass to do it yourself though!

I broke a pane of on my balcony door to gain access to my apartment- I'd locked myself out and my downstairs neighbours kindly let me use their ladder in the back garden. Anyways... I replaced the glass myself after getting a local glass cutter to cut a piece to size. That cost me 10 quid.

good luck