House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dom

Do You Lie About Your Earnings?

There have been some fantastic P60's quoted on this board. Just wondering how few of them are genuine.

I don't get asked how much I earn by friends / family but if someone were to ask me directly, I would probably be truthful but it would depend on their reason for asking. If they were showing off but earned less I would say nowt, if they earned more I would be happy to answer, if they earned substantially less I would not answer. An associate mentioned her income to me and I was shocked by her low pay, although I hid this. I most certainly did not reveal my income as it would have been embarrassing and may have appeared boastful.

I like to keep things simple and try not to be visibly flash but realise that others observe what one does. Comments were made by someone when they saw a new flat screen in the living and a few months later a new flat screen in the bedroom. Not that it crossed their mind that we had saved for both items and go without other luxuries that some believe are a given. We are not homeowners so I do not feel it is justified to spend our disposable income on material items but choose instead to save most of it, whilst awaiting the crash.

People do, however, make assumptions about our income as over the years we have been asked why haven't we bought a place and I tell them that we can't afford it. They then look at me in disbelieve as others around us have been able to 'afford' a home. I was also told by someone (2.5 years ago) that I can't afford it because I don't earn enough and "that is life". What they seemed oblivious to was that I earned in excess of their income yet they have a lovely three bedroom home bought years ago. I responded that "that our time will come" after the market has crashed by 40%+ which caused a tense atmosphere. Since then, they have not mentioned the housing market again and neither have I!

Sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent.

edit "of" to "off"

I try not to disclose my earnings (not that they're anything special), if I have to I would normally give them a haircut, usually by the amount I/we can save annually.

So, yes :)

Guest theboltonfury
There have been some fantastic P60's quoted on this board. Just wondering how few of them are genuine.

90% at a guess. the same as the honesty of most people's savings, STR fund, etc etc. Property Guru is married to an Italian Model, has various houses around the world and shits £50 notes. Yet can't seem to remember how many kids he's got! (someone exposed his lies on this forum)

It's an internet forum, so all the guys here are SAS millionaires, with links to both the Kremlin and the Whitehouse.

I don't lie about it, if I need to answer. However I like to avoid the topic, not because I feel like I'm on a bad wage, but because it's no ones business what I earn.

Most people never mention what they earn, it's just guessed from the lifestyle and possesions.

Which is why expensive cars are popular.

For instance I have no idea how much my brothers or sisters earn, or my extended family or friends.

Although sometimes it's possible to guess from their job at an upper limit.

I've never lied, but I've never been asked.

It also depends upon what you mean by earnings. A lot of my earnings won't appear on my P60.

Guest theboltonfury
Most people never mention what they earn, it's just guessed from the lifestyle and possesions.

Which is why expensive cars are popular.

For instance I have no idea how much my brothers or sisters earn, or my extended family or friends.

Although sometimes it's possible to guess from their job at an upper limit.

Debt does a lovely imitation of wealth.

Guest X-QUORK

As a contractor my annual income looks quite good compared to most, but after considering the lack of holiday, sick leave, pension, etc it soon takes on a much more average appearance.

As a rule I think it's a bit crass to discuss income unless with very, very good friends or family. Not much good can come of it.

Guest theboltonfury
As a contractor my annual income looks quite good compared to most, but after considering the lack of holiday, sick leave, pension, etc it soon takes on a much more average appearance.

As a rule I think it's a bit crass to discuss income unless with very, very good friends or family. Not much good can come of it.

I had a mate who worked in recruitment, who used to bring his payslips to the pub. He just turned into a nobber and we soon started to hate him.

Guest X-QUORK
I had a mate who worked in recruitment, who used to bring his payslips to the pub. He just turned into a nobber and we soon started to hate him.

A nobber in recruitment? He wasn't alone then.

Sounds like an unfortunately very good friend of mine. Only a few weeks ago he reliably informed me that his next month's wage would be close to 9k. I told him he's a w*nker, but there you go.

The only people who it is OK to lie about your income to is EAs and the revenue.

It is crass to discuss your income, we're not Americans for God's sake.

The only people who it is OK to lie about your income to is EAs and the revenue.

It is crass to discuss your income, we're not Americans for God's sake.

Sounds like an unfortunately very good friend of mine. Only a few weeks ago he reliably informed me that his next month's wage would be close to 9k. I told him he's a w*nker, but there you go.

I pay that much in tax every month. And my wife's an Italian model.

(oops, wrong login)