House Price Crash Forum
Snafu

Which Country Will Be Least Affctected?

What country is going to be least affected by this economic collapse? Which country is not in massive debt and whose banks are well regulated (if that exists)? I'm seriously thinking about the next country to move to. The company I work for are saying NA and WE growth is stagnant (surprise!). CEEMEA and ASIA is where growth is projected but I know lots of countries there are in a credit fuelled boom too! Where the heck, out if all contries on earth is going to be the best country from a 5-10 year perspective? From sweden but moved to the UK in 2004 remembering how prices were rising crazily and somehow feelng slightly in awe of how much housing cost! Perverse I know. Like "I have moved to a prosperous country. Little did I know! Anyone slating me for being a foreigner and I should GTFO anyway are of course welcome to it :)

Look for somewhere that didn't inflate a debt-fuelled bubble and doesn't have any further BOHICA moments coming down the tube because they are reliant on exporting to countries that do, the bubbles of which have not yet burst. In the developed world, Canada would probably be the nearest thing to that, but they may well have a hit still to take as a result of being so economically interdependent with the US. Ditto for Australia/NZ and East Asia.

Relatively small scale, stable economies, the products of which are essential and thus to a certain extent depression-resistant, and which are also politically and legally stable and not run by theocratic wack job regimes would be where I'd want to go. I'd look at Norway, Sweden and the Faroes (though not Finland because if Putin forgets to take his medication, another invasion could always be on the cards), Greenland and St. Pierre & Miquelon. No thanks to the Caribbean, as virtually all the island nations there are drug-addled and lawless. Small Pacific island nations and dependencies possibly, though I don't really know enough about them to make an informed choice. Brazil, possibly, but the same applies.

Scandanavia would be high on my list too.

Norway wisely never joined the Euro, and has lots of Oil reserves they have not squandered like other countries. But the cost of living is equivalent to the UK in their cities.

The most unaffected group of people in Norway, I guess would be The Sami, who measure their wealth by the number of Reindeers they possess.

Edited by Milton

Scotland. Shielded from economic reality by the Barnett formula ;)

Scotland....because they will take the English money then quiite happily tell them to f**k off and not pay it back :lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Wouldn't mind Canada myself. Got some decent mountain biking I reckon! I just have this doomsday feeling of "omfg we're all fecked by inflation and worse and it won't matter where you move"-sort of feeling.

What country is going to be least affected by this economic collapse? Which country is not in massive debt and whose banks are well regulated (if that exists)? I'm seriously thinking about the next country to move to. The company I work for are saying NA and WE growth is stagnant (surprise!). CEEMEA and ASIA is where growth is projected but I know lots of countries there are in a credit fuelled boom too! Where the heck, out if all contries on earth is going to be the best country from a 5-10 year perspective? From sweden but moved to the UK in 2004 remembering how prices were rising crazily and somehow feelng slightly in awe of how much housing cost! Perverse I know. Like "I have moved to a prosperous country. Little did I know! Anyone slating me for being a foreigner and I should GTFO anyway are of course welcome to it :)

..Norway... :rolleyes:

I'm trying to think of the criteria:

- Low debt

- Diverse economy

- Younger population (you don't want a country where half the people will be retired in a decade)

- Resources

- Competitive

Every nice country has fecked themselves up with property bubbles.

First went to Australia in 2000 and for £150k you could get a very nice apartment within walking distance of Sydney CBD. Went back in 2008 and it was nearer £500k.

Canada seems cheap until you look at the areas you might want to live/work in and then you are in trouble. Went to Vancouver in 2004 and again £160k would get you a nice 2 bedder, more like £400k now.

New Zealand similarly exploded even allowing for the collapse of the £

Must be something about humans that mean we can't just enjoy a low cost of living and relatively high wages without blowing up a massive bubble in the cost of our shelter.

First went to Australia in 2000 and for £150k you could get a very nice apartment within walking distance of Sydney CBD. Went back in 2008 and it was nearer £500k.

What are people's opinions of Australia in the economic long term? I have the opportunity of moving there and just wondering. I mean, I know it's also got a massive property bubble, but then everywhere in the World seems to be the same (unless you can move somewhere where you don't also need a commutable job). So looking at it from a "best of the worst" point of view, what do you think of long-ish term prospects in Oz? If economic power continues to shift to the East, then at least Oz is in a much closer timezone to China than we are here, if doing business with the East is going to be important. Then there are the apparent natural resources of Australia that one hears about (from an exports point of view).

Maybe the approach should be to make a list of countries, with those below the UK having incrementally much worse long term prospects, and those above having much better. i.e. something like

better/rosy

|

Germany

Australia

France

USA

United Kingdom

Spain

Italy

Ireland

Greece

|

worse/fvcked

What are people's opinions of Australia in the economic long term?

Worst time in history to move to Oz, unless you have a well paid job lined up, circ $100k plus................

They have an inflation problem which makes the UK look cheap, very little supermarket competition, health insurance costs rising, all costs are rising, faster then here, guess what wages ain't. The Chinese are coming, legally at the moment, but not far for an illegal invasion? Houses are totally out of control costs wise relative to the local wage, relative to the pound in your pocket, well forget it, an average 2 bed town house, $300k, thats £200k, and that an hour comute to Brisbane CBD.

Oz has a long way to fall, i would rather be here in the UK, with Europe on our doorstep, not so far to go to pick up a bargain soon.

Worst time in history to move to Oz, unless you have a well paid job lined up, circ $100k plus................

They have an inflation problem which makes the UK look cheap, very little supermarket competition, health insurance costs rising, all costs are rising, faster then here, guess what wages ain't. The Chinese are coming, legally at the moment, but not far for an illegal invasion? Houses are totally out of control costs wise relative to the local wage, relative to the pound in your pocket, well forget it, an average 2 bed town house, $300k, thats £200k, and that an hour comute to Brisbane CBD.

Oz has a long way to fall, i would rather be here in the UK, with Europe on our doorstep, not so far to go to pick up a bargain soon.

Balls. It does seem everywhere is screwed to some extent. And yes, does look like they've got a similar issue to UK with regards inflation:

temp.gif

Would be Melbourne if we go. Renting of course; absolutely no interest in buying in any country that's had a bubble until said bubble deflates. Which currently looks like it could take a decade. Really more interested in living life in the meantime.

Balls. It does seem everywhere is screwed to some extent. And yes, does look like they've got a similar issue to UK with regards inflation:

temp.gif

Would be Melbourne if we go. Renting of course; absolutely no interest in buying in any country that's had a bubble until said bubble deflates. Which currently looks like it could take a decade. Really more interested in living life in the meantime.

Believe me, i have been there four times in five years, the last time recently, was the most expensive..........Poms are returning home back to Blighty to escape certain poverty......Rents are stupid, Food is stupid, a pint of local p!ss, well you are lucky to find one for $8 bucks, work that out at $1.5 to £1. Australia is not the same country as it was ten years ago. Even backpackers are avoiding the country................................

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

If i was fluent in Portugese then i would choose Santa Catarina province in Southern Brazil, nice people, nice climate, lovely beaches and a growing hi-tech economy. Brazil has most resources it needs and politically seems to be going in a more stable direction......

Believe me, i have been there four times in five years, the last time recently, was the most expensive..........Poms are returning home back to Blighty to escape certain poverty......Rents are stupid, Food is stupid, a pint of local p!ss, well you are lucky to find one for $8 bucks, work that out at $1.5 to £1. Australia is not the same country as it was ten years ago. Even backpackers are avoiding the country................................

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

You do talk some todge.

I was out for a beer in woollahra last night - blonde 5.20 a schooner. Not sure that equates to $8 a pint. If you drink vb its cheaper. Plus it was $14 beer and a pizza night which seems reasonable if it's anecdotes from someone who actually lives in a place you want.

Things are expensive if you cnvert at 1.5, but by the same token our minimum wage converts to gbp10 per hour. Are things twice the price here?

You do talk some todge.

I was out for a beer in woollahra last night - blonde 5.20 a schooner. Not sure that equates to $8 a pint. If you drink vb its cheaper. Plus it was $14 beer and a pizza night which seems reasonable if it's anecdotes from someone who actually lives in a place you want.

Things are expensive if you cnvert at 1.5, but by the same token our minimum wage converts to gbp10 per hour. Are things twice the price here?

Been waiting for Bardon to turn up?

Firstly Oz pubs are sh!te, secondly yep i agree, if you want to drink in some sh!t hole with no atmousphere or an RSL (real sh!te); yep you will get a schooner for $5 or $6 bucks, a schooner is not a pint, it is roughly three quarters of a pint. A schooner is a womans pint, Ozzy's drink 8 schooners, Brits drink 8 pints, wussies the lot of them!

The best thing to do is drop in here;

http://waxysirishpub.com.au/

or call them (07) 55 26 76 55

What i call a pub in Australia, been there many times, if you can get a PINT of beer for less than $8 bucks, message me.............

VB will be at least $10 bucks, i paid $10 bucks a while back for a PINT, not a womans pint..................

Wussieboy, for f00k sake, don't entice decent cultured British citizens to your inbreded backwater, where all and sundry are inter related by some wierd cultural Ozzy cult!

Now put me on IGNORE you wuz

Edited by Panda

Norway.

Re, the Swedish comments. Swansea is full of Swedish people who live here, several of them friends of mine. The house I am renting the previous tennant was a gorgeous blonde Swedish doctor - the gas boiler service engineer soon had the smile wiped off his face when I told him she had moved elsewhere in Swansea.