House Price Crash Forum
thecrashingisles

Miliband Wants A Bargain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15068488

Ed Miliband will vow to end Britain's "fast-buck" culture and ensure the "right people" are rewarded, in a speech to Labour's annual conference.

The Labour leader will say on Tuesday that the country needs "a new bargain based on a different set of values".

And he will call for radical changes to the welfare system and the way businesses are run.

The speech - his biggest since being elected Labour leader a year ago - will contain no new policy announcements.

Rewarding the "right people" sounds rather Orwellian. Even the BBC admit that it's all just rhetoric.

"a new bargain based on a different set of values".

:lol:

That sounds like just a long winded way of saying "change" - one of the most hackneyed words in politics.

The problem they have these days is that nearly all the easy expressions using the word "change" have already been used up in political slogans over recent years. Mind you I'm sure they'll have dug up/invented a new one by the time of the next general election.

I can see it already - how can we keep the country evolving through these difficult times /vomit.

I find his comments about taxing the 'wrong' sort of firms ******ing scary - who the hell does he think he is to decide?

Best possible outcome from it would YAFQ (yet another ... quango).

Worst.. take your pick. Bribes, opression, rule of emotion over rule of law.. sounds pretty orwellian to me too.

From the look of it it's a speech just rejigging speeches made by Labour party leaders over the last few decades. It's all such a confidence trick again and again and again.

Then if they do ever gain power all their speeches and promises are reneged on - again.

ed milliband.

when voting for a leader, you have to ask youself a question.

how would you feel about him if he was a friend of a friend.

personally, id think he was a bit of a wet rag. sort of lame.

now why would i want a man like that in power.

hes just a paper target. they will wheel out his brother when the times right.

might as well waste the fairy for 4 years.

and ensure the "right people" are rewarded

Politicians, bankstas, friends of politicians and bankstas, family members, hangers on, spivs, shysters, crooks and charlatans.

So.... business as usual then? :unsure:

..ensure the "right people" are rewarded..

So that'll mean people like themselves of course.

Maybe the words "anything but" before the words "the right people" is written in invisible ink.

"The right people", it so makes you want to laugh. They are so "transparent" :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by billybong

As a veteran Orwellian theme spotter, I don't think in this case it is Orwellian. I think it is Milliband getting as close as he feels able to saying that the wrong people are banksters, oligarchs and short term manipulators of markets. Of course he cannot say that directly because he is leader of a party which since 1997 has purported to be left of centre but in practice has been well to the right of Thatcher on some policies, and he is too frightened of upsetting the city.

The constant references to how much "we spent on education and the NHS" (see Ed Balls) doesn't really hide the still present legacy of Blair and Brown. The labour party is still in denial about its past policies which directly ruined the UK economy. You can tell this because, as before, everyone has been instructed to emphasise that it was a "Global" problem. This is a repeat of G Brown's mantra when he claimed he was saving the world, and also instructed all of his cabinet to respond to all press questions with the "Global" answer.

Until all vestiges of the Blair/Brown legacy are removed and sent to the back benches, the labour party is unelectable. The list of current shadow ministers tediously excusing themselves with "It was a global issue" is long:

Ed Balls

Yvette Cooper (Mrs.Balls)

Angela Eagle

Tessa Jowell

Harriet Harman

Andy Burnham

Caroline Flint

Peter Hain

Liam Byrne

...are just a few on that list. Even Alistair Darling, the one ex-chancellor who says he warned his contemporaries about the approaching meltdown, hasn't had the courage to admit that at the time he sat on his hands and continued in the job instead of resigning in protest. We then have the very long list of media pundits, journalists and of course the BBC who were all complicit in telling the electorate that all was safe when it clearly wasn't, and lastly the regulators, like Howard Davies, who unleashed a culture of non-regulation which allowed banks to indebt the nation and screw its customers. Add to that all the economists at the LSE and other institutions who failed dismally to warn anyone about the impending recession even when it was staring them in the face (and most of these economists were "on-message" with new-lab), and you have a recipe which renders the labour party as untenable as Thatcher's government during the similar meltdown of the early 1990s.

The most significant element of all the above is that when booms are in full flow, people suffer from memory loss, because their personal greed seems to shut out reality. We are being fed a giant fairy tale and being treated like children, and the BBC is the prime suspect in complicity with this fairy tale. It has been firmly told not to panic the electorate. The Labour Party is hopelessly out of touch with the fact that its shadow cabinet needs a thorough purging. Note that Liam Byrne, ex treasury secretary who issued the bizarre memos to his civil servants, and left the famous note saying "there is no money left" to his tory successor, is now back in the shadow team at work and pensions. This absolute shower of a shadow cabinet is of a similar flavour to that which led us into the recession.

Just caught a bit of his speech with him making jokes about his nose job and talking about the next generation of Miliband brothers.

And I thought our politics could be debased no further...

Edited by thecrashingisles

ed milliband.

when voting for a leader, you have to ask youself a question.

how would you feel about him if he was a friend of a friend.

personally, id think he was a bit of a wet rag. sort of lame.

now why would i want a man like that in power.

hes just a paper target. they will wheel out his brother when the times right.

might as well waste the fairy for 4 years.

Lots of derogatory remarks about Miliband on here. Permit me to add to them.

The only reason I don't chuck stuff at the telly when he's on is because I paid quite a lot for my flat screen. I can't take him seriously. He underwent a complete personality change to make himself more amenable to the voters, and it hasn't worked. He got up on stage today and talked all that sh$te about being his own man when he was a complete Brown lackey. He's really humourless, and I know because I've met him. And I will always distrust someone who craps on a family member the way he did his brother in the name of ambition. Don't get me wrong, the crown was never David Miliband's by right, but to suddenly find your brother plotting against you practically out of the blue is distasteful. At least he'll never be Prime Minister, thank God.

With regard to his shadow cabinet, they are obviously a bunch of big time losers.

So, why doesn't he get rid of them?

He talks of a new direcion for labour, but keeps these hopeless people on side.

Is he in hock because of promises to enable his election to Labour leadership?

Did the conference really boo Tony Blair's name?

Ha ha, can you imagine him talking to Vladmir Putin? No.

Miliband - We're very worried about press freedom in your country.

Putin - Then I'm sure you'll agree that The Sun should be free to print copies of these payments from the KGB to your father?

Miliband - Errr.....

Yes, he's an idiot.

He is also right.

The economy is screwed because parasites have been able to disguise themselves as businesses.

If your profits come directly from inflicting unavoidable costs on others, then you aren't a business.

Yes, he's an idiot.

He is also right.

The economy is screwed because parasites have been able to disguise themselves as businesses.

If your profits come directly from inflicting unavoidable costs on others, then you aren't a business.

Yeah, he's not far off. I was listening to his interview on R4 Today this morning and I have to say I was encouraged. He actually sounded quite passionate. I'm a long way off being a labour voter mind you. However, the one big thing I picked up on was the message he's got about long term sustainability and the fact that modern business doesn't measure the true cost of short term profits. It sounds like he's hinting at the concept of the Triple Bottom Line . The very fact that something like that gets some air time from a leader of the big three parties is encouraging, whether he means it or not. It might take decades for a concept like that to really seep in to our wider consciousness.

And hope I don't come across as a milliband-fanboy, which I'm not; I just can't stand blinkered-ear superficial opinons.