House Price Crash Forum
fluffy666

Bbc On Quants..

Link here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14631547

For my 2p, the problem with the markets is too much humanity.. given more or less totally algorithmic trading, AND (critically) a transaction tax which would force the algorithms to look longer term, the markets might work better; I'd also guess that a transaction tax would act against the building up of gigantic values of apparently-hedged derivities, and feedback loops in general.

And if all transactions were through a single electronic clearing system, it would be easy to spot rogue or insider trading, at least in theory.

This is news? Anyone who remembers the theft of the black box code from the Vampire Squid two years ago will have heard of HFT.

But then again HFT itself is more than a decade old, such is the rise of the machines.

Typical BBC, still better late than never.

PS if govts want to impose a transactions tax impose one that is inversely proportional to the decision time taken to buy the investment: the shorter the decision time the higher the tax rate.

Edited by nmarks

This is news? Anyone who remembers the theft of the black box code from the Vampire Squid two years ago will have heard of HFT.

But then again HFT itself is more than a decade old, such is the rise of the machines.

PS if govts want to impose a transactions tax impose one that is inversely proportional to the decision time taken to buy the investment: the shorter the decision time the higher the tax rate.

All they have to do is require all trades to be submitted 24 hours in advance of execution. That would have the added benefit of removing an entire class of non-value added jobs (day traders).

All they have to do is require all trades to be submitted 24 hours in advance of execution. That would have the added benefit of removing an entire class of non-value added jobs (day traders).

+1

Good to see the automation moving up the food chain.

Wonder when it'll reach politicians. Now, I'd admit that being forced into slave labour to produce more ranks of our Robotic Overlords may seem like a bad thing, but on the other hand, Ed Balls.

See?

For decision time read holding time.

An asset held for mere milliseconds surely can't be considered to be an investment in the everyday sense.

I see what you did there...

-e^(i*pi)

I don't think dothemaths did the maths.

PS Did you mean e^(-i*pi)?

Edited by nmarks

I don't think dothemaths did the maths.

PS Did you mean e^(-i*pi)?

<geekalert>

e^(i*pi) = -1 , as does your e^(-i*pi)

so: -e^(i*pi) = +1

most beautiful maths equation ever IMHO: e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

Contains so many basic concepts in maths and nothing else: 1, 0, e, i, pi

</geekalert>

See, and there was me thinking we were going to have a chat about Fourier Transforms

See, and there was me thinking we were going to have a chat about Fourier Transforms

:lol: