House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dredwerker

500 Try For Just 16 Jobs On Bins

COUNCIL bosses have received an astonishing 500 applications for just 16 new rubbish collection jobs.

The vacancies in Southampton come after the city was left festering under one million bags of refuse following a strike by bin workers.

Around 400 want basic jobs paying up to £20,789 with another 70 hoping to be drivers on up to £24,508.

The applicants – 30 for each job – include nine women.

I know its in the express but I saw it on the local telly.

EXpress Linky

I do some work in the ICT waste area and I am figuring it might be easier to get a job in this area than doing degree required ICT jobs. The money is pretty similar and you dont need to learn new languages or methodologies every 6 months.

The money is pretty similar and you dont need to learn new languages or methodologies every 6 months.

You do however have to be a fascist of the state and take photos of people's bins when the lids are more than 45' open.

COUNCIL bosses have received an astonishing 500 applications for just 16 new rubbish collection jobs.

The vacancies in Southampton come after the city was left festering under one million bags of refuse following a strike by bin workers.

Around 400 want basic jobs paying up to £20,789 with another 70 hoping to be drivers on up to £24,508.

The applicants – 30 for each job – include nine women.

I know its in the express but I saw it on the local telly.

EXpress Linky

I do some work in the ICT waste area and I am figuring it might be easier to get a job in this area than doing degree required ICT jobs. The money is pretty similar and you dont need to learn new languages or methodologies every 6 months.

Sadly this is actually quite a good ratio of applicants to jobs. I know of bog standard jobs (no particularly special skills required) where there's been in excess of 50 applicants per job, been told once it was over 100 applicants for that single job.

You do however have to be a fascist of the state and take photos of people's bins when the lids are more than 45' open.

Thats down to each council. They have very diff policies.

if you ever get a prob moan at you councillor they have a lot of power.

20K per year to roll wheelie bins to the back of a lorry and press a button....seems like a well paid job, no wonder people are applying in droves. It's a bit more involved that a train driver though so shouldnt' they be on 50K ? :rolleyes:

20K per year to roll wheelie bins to the back of a lorry and press a button....seems like a well paid job, no wonder people are applying in droves. It's a bit more involved that a train driver though so shouldnt' they be on 50K ? :rolleyes:

You would need to be physically fit I think. Our bin men look fit as they race round at break neck speed emptying bins, especially with the hills where I live. Should weed out 90% of the applicants.

You would need to be physically fit I think. Our bin men look fit as they race round at break neck speed emptying bins, especially with the hills where I live. Should weed out 90% of the applicants.

Good point...they need 60K + pensions benefits and retirement on 90% final salary ( index linked of course ) at age 50. The real tax payers can work to 70 to fund it.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

More involved than stop and go - that made me chuckle :)

I suppose I was shocked at 500 people going for these jobs though in Southampton where the South is supposed to be so well off :)

avg house price Southampton

Average house price

£173,828

Not exactly three times income - even a Flat £131,786 avg - Now - two bin men living together are near three times income unless they have a family :)

That`s because it`s "job and finish"

You might not be fit when you started, but you would be after a few weeks.

Doesn't happen when i do this on bin day, how strange.......

Bet the women have far more chance of getting a job there than blokes , equality and all that innit.

Still the guys who fail to get a job this round can do something useful with their lives , like this bloke :

Edited by Ruffneck

If they haven't their council will soon create several 10 of jobs collecting food waste on a weekly basis soon (while that is best buried in the garden or

via waste disposal unit under the sink). Otherwise, the council will spend another few hundred ks digging up the road.

I suppose that is job creation and stimulus at the end of the day.

Yeah it's a good crack. I've seen many Retail Manager types roles asking for people to work all hours and have lots of responsibility offered less in pay.

If 500 people shooting for each of these jobs then there is plenty of scope to reduce the salary on offer, aka cuts in public expenditure. You listening Cameron?

More involved than stop and go - that made me chuckle :)

I suppose I was shocked at 500 people going for these jobs though in Southampton where the South is supposed to be so well off :)

avg house price Southampton

Average house price

£173,828

Not exactly three times income - even a Flat £131,786 avg - Now - two bin men living together are near three times income unless they have a family :)

Gay bin men? having children?...still, I suppose they will find a few in the bins from time to time.

Still, depositing in the back ram receptical would make them feel at home.

Would be good if an actual BIN MAN/WOMAN was to post on here, and actually state what the job role entails with hours worked etc.

Would be more useful than the usual one eyed HPC speculation. Knock off/job done at twelve? Yeah right.

Would be good if an actual BIN MAN/WOMAN was to post on here, and actually state what the job role entails with hours worked etc.

Would be more useful than the usual one eyed HPC speculation. Knock off/job done at twelve? Yeah right.

They generally start at 6am, or earlier...

:lol:

Wonder how many of the one eyed speculators would have applied for the job? good enough for other people of course. You would have thought the news would have cheered them up. Isn't it what they are always insisting the jobless should do, empty bins, sweep the streets, etc?

Bloody horrible job. Our lot are fantastic, and always clear up after themselves.

I know one bloke that did this a few years ago. He loved it. Said it was a pretty easy job with hours that suited him and good pay for what he did.

I know one bloke that did this a few years ago. He loved it. Said it was a pretty easy job with hours that suited him and good pay for what he did.

Yep, £20k p.a. and all you can eat...

I did it one summer while getting qualified.

Is indeed job and jack (or was years ago.)

Stinks, obviously.

General public are assholes with you 9 times in 10. Binman = shit shifter = not worth having manners toward.

It's hard physical graft, even with the bins on wheels. Ofc, there are the recycling bins as well which are lighter, but need more foot running. (Generally run by a private company the recycling side as there is cash in it.)

Speaking of which, for the first two weeks unless you walk/jog a shitload already you are going to have raw feet.

Quite a bit of rivalry between the crews - and a lot of whinging if anyone misses something as it means someone gets sent out to sort it.

lots of small scale bribery from householders who want their shit moved but it's supposed to be disposed of in some wacky H+S scheme. Fridge motors, batteries, small trees etc. "Oh, how did that get there?" Insane rules = corruption.

it's an alright job for a reasonably fit young bloke for a few months or longer term for someone who doesn't mind ******ing his knees/back in. In a job with few to no promotion possibilities. That smells. Outside in the glorious british weather. What the pay should be is as always down to market forces. or it should be. :)

it's an alright job for a reasonably fit young bloke for a few months or longer term for someone who doesn't mind ******ing his knees/back in. In a job with few to no promotion possibilities. That smells. Outside in the glorious british weather. What the pay should be is as always down to market forces. or it should be. :)

Amazes me the amount of resentment on this board towards these kind of jobs, the "perks" and the pay.

Seems that every job has to be downsized into some minimum wage taking the piss "exploitative" job. If councils are trying to resist that trend good for them. Bring on the State!

The private sector is rubbish anyway. If it can't survive by exploiting the work force, its needs a bail out or crony contract with the state.

At least that kind of job can't be outsourced to Chindia, and would be difficult/expensive to automate with machines/robots.

Though I suspect in a few years time householders will be expected to dump/sort their own rubbish and still pay for the privilege.

Edited by John Steed

I did it one summer while getting qualified.

Is indeed job and jack (or was years ago.)

Stinks, obviously.

General public are assholes with you 9 times in 10. Binman = shit shifter = not worth having manners toward.

It's hard physical graft, even with the bins on wheels. Ofc, there are the recycling bins as well which are lighter, but need more foot running. (Generally run by a private company the recycling side as there is cash in it.)

Speaking of which, for the first two weeks unless you walk/jog a shitload already you are going to have raw feet.

Quite a bit of rivalry between the crews - and a lot of whinging if anyone misses something as it means someone gets sent out to sort it.

lots of small scale bribery from householders who want their shit moved but it's supposed to be disposed of in some wacky H+S scheme. Fridge motors, batteries, small trees etc. "Oh, how did that get there?" Insane rules = corruption.

Those that I meet are always cheerful though and I am always nice to them.

It has nothing to do with the crew, but rather council forcing me to buy services whether I want it or not.