House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid #FBPE#JC4PM#GTTO

Titanic

I've neve seen the film but it's on at the moment, just catching the bit as the ship sinks.

This is one of the biggest films of all time? It won Oscars?

:lol::lol::lol:

People are stupider than I thought.

I saw that sodding film twice at the Cinema when it came out. The mate I went with loved it so much, that he wanted to go again. It was bloody painful...

I've neve seen the film but it's on at the moment, just catching the bit as the ship sinks.

This is one of the biggest films of all time? It won Oscars?

:lol::lol::lol:

People are stupider than I thought.

The bit when the ship starting sinking I'd the only bit worth watching too. The preceding two hours are mind numbing.

I've neve seen the film

I've got it on DVD and I've still never seen it. It's been out what, 14 years?

I'm actually quite interested in the story of R.M.S. Titanic and one of my ambitions is to visit the site.

Yep, 2.5 miles down.

It can be done, but the price was £25k the last time I checked.

The best version was the black and white film starring Kenneth More. ;)

I actually watched that the other day. Still a classic.

I liked it. Great film!

No accounting for tastes of course.

It must have something going for it considering the box office records it set.

One day I'll sit down and watch it.

I saw that sodding film twice at the Cinema when it came out. The mate I went with loved it so much, that he wanted to go again. It was bloody painful...

HE?? WTF :blink::lol:

Some girl I know was actually diagnosed with clinical depression after seeing it a couple of times.

I have a theory that the film's success was some kind of reaction to the death of Diana - it was that weird kind of hysteria manifesting itself again

HE?? WTF :blink::lol:

Some girl I know was actually diagnosed with clinical depression after seeing it a couple of times.

I have a theory that the film's success was some kind of reaction to the death of Diana - it was that weird kind of hysteria manifesting itself again

Yup... I was moderately intrigued the first time, but it was just painful second time around, but my mate at the time wanted to see it again...I did wonder...

"A Night To Remember" Yes very good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051994/

Don't like Titanic. The British (English) are portrayed as cowardly and brutish and the Irish boatbuilder / designer chappie is given a soft lilting Southern Oirish accent, and I think he would have a harder Northern Irish one. given the ship was built in Belfast.

The primitive computer graphics are now quite amusing, watching the little animated stick men walking along the decks, but were good at the time.

I have been fortunate in that I have seen the film several times but only caught it around the point the back of the ship breaks off - about 30 minutes from the end I think.

Can't see the point of watching the earlier 3 or 4 hours.

They don`t make them as they did in the past.

The Dam Busters

That reminds me of the planned remake. :(

I was at the Ladybower reservoir for the 50th anniversary flyover in 1993. Richard Todd was there but he was a dot on the horizon to me.

Since that time there's a visitors centre opened up dedicated to the history of the dam, with heavy emphasis on its role in the dam busters raid.

"The makers of the Hollywood blockbuster Titanic have apologised to a Scottish town for tarnishing the reputation of one of its heroes.

The vice-president of 20th Century Fox Scott Neeson went to the small town of Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, to deliver a personal apology to the 80-year-old nephew of William Murdoch, first officer of the Titanic.

The 11 Oscar-winning film showed Mr Murdoch as a corrupt coward and a murderer who shot passengers and then took his own life.

But in his hometown, Mr Murdoch, who was an officer, is remembered for saving lives.

He is described by historians as having done his utmost to save passengers, guiding them to boats and throwing deckchairs overboard for those in the sea to cling to as the liner sank after hitting an iceberg on the night of April 14, 1912. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/78839.stm

I never liked Kenneth Moore as an actor.

In every film he over acted, sometimes quite desperately.

Why he was so popular I will never know.

For entertainment value, my favourite is the Nazi version - proof that the German wartime entertainment cinema parodied in Inglorious Basterds is only a slight exaggeration of the real thing. In the story of the Titanic according to Goebbels, the Jewish ship owner bribes and blackmails a rolling drunk captain to try and break the speed record in order to boost their share values. The Lightoller character is a stiff-necked German (yes, really), who rescues the Irish peasants that the nasty English officers have locked below decks. AFAIK, the third class passengers having been locked below decks was pure Goebbels fiction, but Cameron repeated it in his film, too. Just in case we failed to get the point, the film closes with a rolling title asserting that 'the evil conspiracy sacrificed thousands of innocent lives on the altar of JEWISH GREED!'.

It's published on DVD by an American publisher and is available to order through Amazon, and well worth it.

That reminds me of the planned remake. :(

I was at the Ladybower reservoir for the 50th anniversary flyover in 1993. Richard Todd was there but he was a dot on the horizon to me.

Since that time there's a visitors centre opened up dedicated to the history of the dam, with heavy emphasis on its role in the dam busters raid.

Yeh don't the rename Guy Gibsons dog for "political correctness?" :blink:

I never liked Kenneth Moore as an actor.

In every film he over acted, sometimes quite desperately.

Why he was so popular I will never know.

Because he represented how people were and spoke at the time.

Yes Darling, sorry darling, I love you darling, at least the actors and actresses( naughty that is sexist they are all actors now :rolleyes: )Thunderbird you are too young to appreciate it. :P

Yeh don't the rename Guy Gibsons dog for "political correctness?" :blink:

I think we had a thread about it?