House Price Crash Forum
Acid In The Punch Bowl

So I Was Sat Next To A Hedge Fund Manager At A Wedding...

So I was sat next to a hedge fund manager at a wedding. I try not to get to ranty in these situations and generally just pick one of the many questions that confuse me, just to gauge the response. The one I picked on this occasion was: "Why are economists like Steve Keen and Peter Schiff, who clearly predicted we would be where we are now and why, still treated as fringe commentators.

He didn't even know who they were.

So I was sat next to a hedge fund manager at a wedding. I try not to get to ranty in these situations and generally just pick one of the many questions that confuse me, just to gauge the response. The one I picked on this occasion was: "Why are economists like Steve Keen and Peter Schiff, who clearly predicted we would be where we are now and why, still treated as fringe commentators.

Why the fck are you talking about economics at a wedding?, theyre for getting pished and trying it on with the Bridesmaids, fair play to the guy i reckon

When he feigned interest in what you did I hope you told him that you are Admiral Janeway, fighter of the Borg and lover of pecan pie?

Cos I was sat next to a boring hedge fund manager and on the other side was his neurotic american wife.

you should have spent the time psychoanalysing her, it could have been much more fruitful, she might even have paid you for it

It isn't necessary for a hedge fund manager to read widely or deeply, or at all, is it? Why bother, thinking too much isn't going to help.

Why the fck are you talking about economics at a wedding?, theyre for getting pished and trying it on with the Bridesmaids, fair play to the guy i reckon

You mustn't try it on with a hedge manager! THINGS can get very prickly at close quarters.

Schiff n' Keen are great. They will be hailed one day, but not yet that's all!

Weddings always end up in someone fighting and you sleeping with someone you regret later. Just so long as it's not the bride or groom then you usually get away with it.

On the subject. Quite incredible but few people read around their so called areas of expertise. Monkeys pushing buttons for bananas springs to mind (if there is such an excercise).

Weddings always end up in someone fighting and you sleeping with someone you regret later. Just so long as it's not the bride or groom then you usually get away with it.

On the subject. Quite incredible but few people read around their so called areas of expertise. Monkeys pushing buttons for bananas springs to mind (if there is such an excercise).

Cant say ive ever had the pleasure of going to a wedding where theres been a scrap (although its definately on my to do before i die list)

Since you didn't ask what kind of fund he was managing, why did you assume he'd know anything much about economics? Sure, if he's managing some kind of global macro outfit then that would be a reasonable expectation but, if he's doing something entirely statistical, then economics is no more relevant for him than, say, it is for a computer programmer.

From my experience I have to agree. I've talked to lots of city types, most were complete idiots compared to the knowledgeable folks on here. A mate of mine is a broker, his last job was selling renaults, he doesn't know who peter schiff is either or much else for that matter.

Cant say ive ever had the pleasure of going to a wedding where theres been a scrap (although its definately on my to do before i die list)

Horrible stuff. Been to a wedding where a friend slept with his friends wife too. Ended in divorce.

Also another where the groom lost the wedding ring, was found and announced by the DJ. New wifey not impressed.

Weddings are torrid affairs. Funerals are much more civilised.

so true

The most important skill of a hedge fund manager is schmoozing and kissing ass to get as many suckers as possible to pay their exorbitant fees.

Some of them might try and trade some standard mean reversion type strategies, other might try and do momentum trading, but they are far too easily distracted by the small moves to look at the big picture.

The most important skill of a hedge fund manager is schmoozing and kissing ass to get as many suckers as possible to pay their exorbitant fees.

Some of them might try and trade some standard mean reversion type strategies, other might try and do momentum trading, but they are far too easily distracted by the small moves to look at the big picture.

I always had this sense

"Why are economists like Steve Keen and Peter Schiff, who clearly predicted we would be where we are now and why, still treated as fringe commentators.

They weren't the only ones to predict the situation, many other more mainstream figures e.g. Nouriel Roubini, Robert Schiller also did.

They also sound more reasonable on TV. So it is natural that the mainstream opinion will look to them at this point.

Peter Schiff in particular has a tendency to rant which puts people off.