House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LC1

Time To Buy Physical Silver?

Crystal balls out folks! :D

Just that really. Want opinions on whether this signals the start of further falls or the perfect buying opportunity right now?

Just that really. Want opinions on whether this signals the start of further falls or the perfect buying opportunity right now?

Perhaps another campaign highlighting that buying near the top of the market / into a parabolic move is civic duty in bankrupting JP Morgan is needed to attract another lot of suckers, but maybe change it to Goldman Sachs as people are unlikely to fall the exact same stupidity so soon after being burnt

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Perhaps another campaign highlighting that buying near the top of the market / into a parabolic move is civic duty in bankrupting JP Morgan is needed to attract another lot of suckers, but maybe change it to Goldman Sachs as people are unlikely to fall the exact same stupidity so soon after being burnt

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand your point exactly. We're no longer near the top, hence the question. Or do you see falls gaining momentum in the absence of 'another lot of suckers'?

When I can buy silver dollars VAT free from Jersey again, I'll think about it.

There is the option of buying from CoinInvestDirect and paying the German 7% VAT rate if you go there in person to pick them up or arrange a courier, like UPS, DHL, FedEx, to collect and have them delieved to you in the UK.

Silver is starting to look a bit more interesting now. Maybe if the price gets down towards $20/oz, I might be tempted to dabble a bit in some US "junk silver". The big problem with silver is still its sheer bulk and weight, so it's hard to store a lot value in a small space (compared to gold).

The junk silver I have now came directly from circulation back in the mid-1960s, and is pretty heavy on quarters, especially 1964's. I'd probably go for a small bag of half dollars, just out of curiosity, as I don't have many of them currently.

You may want to stock up while the prices are low - but looking at coininvest you will see that the prices are not that much lower than last week. Either the price fall is a paper fall, or the dealers can't source at the current spot price. There may be other reasons. If there is anywhere I can get silver reflecting the current price I would be grateful if you could let me know

You may want to stock up while the prices are low - but looking at coininvest you will see that the prices are not that much lower than last week. Either the price fall is a paper fall, or the dealers can't source at the current spot price. There may be other reasons. If there is anywhere I can get silver reflecting the current price I would be grateful if you could let me know

I haven't been following the coininvestdirect pries, but we're at approx £20/ozt spot, and silver maples and eagles are at just over £25 which includes the premium and UK VAT (20%) Or have I misunderstood how it works?

I agree with you there. Things have only got worse with the banking, sovereign debt & currency crisis, the metals have been smashed down, but with more QE on the cards in the US, UK, EU and Japan, the Swiss debasing their currency to keep it competitive with the euro, this is an incredible buying opportunity.

I think you're probably right. But do you understand how/why PMs have been smashed down? I don't really get it given everything you rightly mention about the banking/debt/currency crisis getting worse - is this a manipulation? Will it go lower or bounce back up pretty quickly?

I think you're probably right. But do you understand how/why PMs have been smashed down? I don't really get it given everything you rightly mention about the banking/debt/currency crisis getting worse - is this a manipulation? Will it go lower or bounce back up pretty quickly?

As i understand it, both.

Silver as a metal is used for some industrial processes, and has value just as a PM. Bad data pushed it down as less will be used in industrial processes, but the big drop was due to a leaked announcement that one of the major exchanges were hiking their margin requirements.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/shanghai-gold-exchange-hikes-silver-margin-20

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-post-forget-gold%E2%80%94what-matters-copper

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/case-closed-cme-hikes-gold-silver-copper-margins

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/goldsilver-plunge-fest

LC1

Just had time to review - yup, the prices are significantly lower than when I posted. This am the lowest coin by a maile was ampale at "25.50. Me and the boys were wonderin' why maples while all the other ozes were £29/30.

LC1

Actually, just looking with spot around £18.40, add VAT gets us to £22.60, the margin on the cheapest coin here is £4+ which is a rather large tad more than I paid a month ago

There is the option of buying from CoinInvestDirect and paying the German 7% VAT rate if you go there in person to pick them up or arrange a courier, like UPS, DHL, FedEx, to collect and have them delieved to you in the UK.

Hi TMBTL,

It's tempting to go the courier route - have you done this yourself? How much roughly, and do you know if there's a risk of additional VAT/duty? Very tempted to get 500 maples! :D

LC1

Actually, just looking with spot around £18.40, add VAT gets us to £22.60, the margin on the cheapest coin here is £4+ which is a rather large tad more than I paid a month ago

Hi raddy, really not sure about the price differences between oz coins - very weird that individual maples are more than eagles, but not if you get 500 (4k cheaper than 500 eagles!).