House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Labour 'covered Up' Pre-Election Reports Revealing Eastern European Immigrants Were More Likely To Claim Benefits

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041593/Labour-covered-pre-election-reports-revealing-Eastern-European-immigrants-likely-claim-benefits.html

Labour has been accused of keeping a series of reports - that said immigrants coming to Britain from Bulgaria and Romania had low education levels and so were more likely to claim unemployment benefits - secret.

The five documents were commissioned, at a cost of £165,000, in the months before last year's general election.

But they were never published because the party was worried a damaging row would erupt over the issue before polling day.

Ministers, who have criticised the party for its 'disturbing cover up', are now promising to publish the reports within days.

27 per cent of immigrants coming to Britain from the two countries had low education levels and were more likely to claim unemployment benefits

15 per cent coming from those countries were already out-of-work in their homeland;

Those coming from all countries to Britain are more likely to end up unemployed than the existing population;

They were also less likely to engage and contribute in 'civic life'.

Some interesting stats although I'd like to see what these figures are like compared to some of the UK's sink estates. Although our easy benefit system needs a radical overhaul no longer is it a safety net it's a system that is being systematically milked by an ever increasing number of people.

The rules need changing and for foreign nationals you should have to pay into the tax system for 2 years before you qualify. No doubt EU regulations bar that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041593/Labour-covered-pre-election-reports-revealing-Eastern-European-immigrants-likely-claim-benefits.html

Some interesting stats although I'd like to see what these figures are like compared to some of the UK's sink estates. Although our easy benefit system needs a radical overhaul no longer is it a safety net it's a system that is being systematically milked by an ever increasing number of people.

The rules need changing and for foreign nationals you should have to pay into the tax system for 2 years before you qualify. No doubt EU regulations bar that.

I thought they put restrictions on working without a work permit for the Bulgarian and Romanian Europeans. :unsure:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/bulgariaromania/Employingabulgarianroman0408

Edited by winkie

Romanians and Bulgarians are A2 nationals, they are still ineligible for benefits, unless they work for one year continuously. A8 nationals became eligible for benefits automatically just like EU15 nationals, without having to work for a period of one year this april just gone.

My local shopkeeper is a Romanian and a fine chap he is. Personally I advise foreign nationals on what benefits they are entitled to, which local companies are taking on etc. They are human beings like the rest of us. Much like English nationals they are bound to experience unemployment in our precarious labour market.

People need to stop slating these guys, when they arrive they are advised to register for under the WRS and given a list of private landlords, asylum seekers on the other hand are given accommodation via UKBA and advice on how to claim benefits.

This is particularly worrying as it is in the Daily Mail, and everything in the Daily Mail is absolutely true.

Ha ha, yeah... The Daily Wail is a heap of crap mostly. Saying that, Labour lying and covering things up (especially before an election) is hardly new. The Labour party are professional liars, and going by the behaviour of some of their MPs, professional criminals too.

...Labour lying and covering things up (especially before an election) is hardly new. The Labour party are professional liars, and going by the behaviour of some of their MPs, professional criminals too.

Steady on, you're making them sound almost as bad as the Tories.

I thought they put restrictions on working without a work permit for the Bulgarian and Romanian Europeans. :unsure:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/bulgariaromania/Employingabulgarianroman0408

Yeah, me too. But the principle here ought to be level playing field across Europe, including level benefit entitlement.

What is more significant, and of course ignored by the Daily Mail, is that it was the CBI, our enterprising business scoungers, who lobbied hardest for greater EU immigration from the East (Poland et al).

Now, personally I have no problem with an influx of polite, skilled and punctual builders and plumbers (if it stops at that) and I loathe Blair and Brown for the Thatcherites they were, but lets get the facts straight and not rewrite history.