House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

People I Have Met Who Are Buying, Late 20S

I have had conversations with 2 people recently who are forking out to buy houses, the only 2 mind that i know of, 'getting on the ladder' -

a finance lawyer in Edinburgh, and a banker in London (last one with very significant cash from BoMaD despite haveing a very well paid job, dunno about the former, but also earns very good money)

Prior to the pain in the public sector I knew plenty teachers and council workers doing the same thing up to a few years ago - having spare cash splashing on a house at a hiigh price

anyway, people in similar position in private sector - the last men standing, the highly numerated finance types - are committing similar acts now with their own and family money

(the best argument I ever heard on this forum for this kind of behaviour - people spontaneously buying a house when they don't need to - is boredom and spare cash; the above activity is entirely commensurate with that - just think about the situation with increasing financial regulation over the next 10 years, rebalancing the economy away from finance, and subsiding international speculation in UK property - these 2 people are dimly aware of these from conversation)

Edited by Si1

To be honest, if they have the money, no longer want to rent, and realise they are going to live in that property (ie they are not expecting it to appreciate in value), then I don't see a problem. At least if we do get the hyper-inflation, they'll still have somewhere to live.

Edited by Trampa501

it's interesting - the lawyer is making hay owing to the amount of legal wrangling between banks over the credit crunch - apparently a novel way to spend taxpayers' money...

I have had conversations with 2 people recently who are forking out to buy houses, the only 2 mind that i know of, 'getting on the ladder' -

a finance lawyer in Edinburgh, and a banker in London (last one with very significant cash from BoMaD despite haveing a very well paid job, dunno about the former, but also earns very good money)

Prior to the pain in the public sector I knew plenty teachers and council workers doing the same thing up to a few years ago - having spare cash splashing on a house at a hiigh price

anyway, people in similar position in private sector - the last men standing, the highly numerated finance types - are committing similar acts now with their own and family money]

It's called getting on the 'property snake' now B)

Edited by plummet expert

To be honest, if they have the money, no longer want to rent, and realise they are going to live in that property (ie they are not expecting it to appreciate in value), then I don't see a problem. At least if we do get the hyper-inflation, they'll still have somewhere to live.

Sure prices are still to high but I agree with 'Trampa501'.

Sure prices are still to high but I agree with 'Trampa501'.

the problem is that if real terms losses mount up to 6 figures - which is easily possible given the sums of money involved buying nice places in London/Edinburgh, it forces you to question what you mean by 'can you afford it'

I could afford to buy a Porsche but it still doesn't make it a good financial move

Edited by Si1

the problem is that if real terms losses mount up to 6 figures - which is easily possible given the sums of money involved buying nice places in London/Edinburgh, it forces you to question what you mean by 'can you afford it'

I could afford to buy a Porsche but it still doesn't make it a good financial move

If you have to worry about buying a Porsche being a "good financial move" you probably can't afford a Porsche

However I would guess maybe 1/3 of Porsche drivers can't really afford them...

...its a status thing..

...similar with houses

The FTB who is buying our central london hovel is a banker using his daddy's money, I suspect he is in his early-mid 20s

These are the only people who can afford to be FTB at that age

The only people I know of that age buying are either earning serious wedges - or gifted money/houses/inheritence from relatives.

Normal people in normal jobs simply do not seem to be buying. For the first time anyway. Those with equity who have managed to sell their first/second place are buying in small numbers.

The only people I know of that age buying are either earning serious wedges - or gifted money/houses/inheritence from relatives.

replacew the 'or' with 'and' and you get closer to the majority that i know of

replacew the 'or' with 'and' and you get closer to the majority that i know of

The only person I know of who keeps saying "I really MUST buy somewhere soon" doesn't have a particularly well paid job, but BoMaD are giving her a *hand* to the tune of £200k. We're talking London here so that will go about 70% of the way towards a 2 bed flat in the area's she likes. I keep trying to talk her out of it, but in reality it doesn't affect me remotely so I really shouldn't care. She's incapable of paying her rent, will never manage a mortgage and it will result in bail out after bail out and a dose of negative equity.