House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel Of Highbridge

Some Unemployment Data For You To Chew On

Take a look at this data comparing historic unemployment rates in Europe:

Historic unemployment Europe

Tells a good story of why we had a good influx of Polish workers, because there were no jobs back home.

Looks like the government have done either a good job massaging figures (as I suspect the rest have) or they have done well to keep unemployment down compared to the 90's.

Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain have the highest unemployment ( no surprises there)

Italy is looking healthy. ;)

Take a look at this data comparing historic unemployment rates in Europe:

Historic unemployment Europe

Tells a good story of why we had a good influx of Polish workers, because there were no jobs back home.

Looks like the government have done either a good job massaging figures (as I suspect the rest have) or they have done well to keep unemployment down compared to the 90's.

Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain have the highest unemployment ( no surprises there)

Italy is looking healthy. ;)

Wow....That Polish graph is impressive.

If there is a huge migration of Polish workers, does it cause unemployment in Poland to soar? Or did they leave, because there were no jobs available? Chicken and egg and all that.

All the Poles I've met, came here to earn enough to buy a house at home, in a very short period of time. It took 3 years to buy out-right, as their property prices were so low. Now that Polish house prices have gone up, are they more likely to seek work at home, because life-style takes precident over assets, and they take on mortgages? I see fewer Poles in the UK.

(Just wait and see what happens when Turkey gets EU status!!)

Edited by Davetolbooth

It's "quite remarkable" that Poland's unemployment has halved, and ours has also dropped...Is/was the UK the major destination for them, or do they equally go elsewhere in Europe? There must be serious massaging of the figures - I cant believe that the UK economy has grown to that extent. You'll start having countries such as Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, etc wanting EU membership next..

The Polish youth unemployment rate reached as high as 50%!

I know many Poles planning on staying here, many I met working in the meat packing factory (which incidentally closed yesterday with the loss of just over 200 jobs), I worked the elections and of the people registered to vote in my area, at the polling station I manned (500 or so households, about 10% were occupied by A8 nationals - entitled to vote in local elections only).

Up here in Yorkshire, this is.

When I go to sign on, it is somewhat of a social occasion, as you bump into your friends from school, neighbours etc.

One can only hope for it to become economical again to reopen the local pits, of which there are many. Not only did they provide jobs, but they built the community, having their own sports teams, chess teams etc. Sadly they would never provide as many jobs as they once did, but for a young man like me, the chance of gaining employment would be high!

Truth be told, some of the pits were turning a profit when they were closed and had never made a loss, you need not be surprised when we celebrate the death of Thatcher by downing tools for the day (if employed that is) and drinking in the streets to celebrate. Those jobs were well paid, and an honest income is something to be proud of, not something to be despised like the dole/charity.

It's not like us unemployed want non jobs either. You might aswell be sat at home doing nothing, rather than in a office 'working' for the council. Personally I'd quite like to land a job as a research scientist, or be laying bricks/surveying etc., I was foolish to study Science, but I didn't think the jobs would be exported.

I'm looking forwards to getting an allotment, should only have a year or so to wait now, and then I'll be able to supplement my diet and brew enough alcohol to be perma-drunk, that is of course if I can't find employment. If I find employment, then I'll only drink of an evening.

Looks like Spain knows how to count and does not massage their figures.

The real Data that we want is the figures for economicaly inactive or part active.

How many are counted as

Sick ,Part time, Single parents, self employed with little work, had unemployment benefits stopped so do not show up on the unemployment registar which gives a false low figure ?

Edited by miko

When our society says no to a coal mine they say no to all the jobs in the coal mine and supporting contractors. They also say no to all the jobs from the miner's spending and the people the government could employ from the tax revenues from the mine.

Now if the governmetn only said no to the odd project it would be painful but we'd survive. But since they say no to 99% of projects. 99% of the good jobs never materialize. So we are left with people trying to cut each other's hair or trying to sell each other dodgy investment schemes.

But if you look at the boomers and the policies they support, they are more worried that global warming might cause the temperature to rise by half a degree two centuries from now.. than whether their own son has a job or not.

Looks like Spain knows how to count and does not massage their figures.

The real Data that we want is the figures for economicaly inactive or part active.

How many are counted as

Sick ,Part time, Single parents, self employed with little work, had unemployment benefits stopped so do not show up on the unemployment registar which gives a false low figure ?

I think the really big one is part time / short time working - a new breed of low paid jobs with very low takehome pay and even lower company commitments or tax charges.

Another for your list - internships.

I think the really big one is part time / short time working - a new breed of low paid jobs with very low takehome pay and even lower company commitments or tax charges.

Here's another - dodgy Apprenticeships.. £2.25 per hour then made redundant when you get to the end of your "retail skill training" or whatever.

Here's another - dodgy Apprenticeships.. £2.25 per hour then made redundant when you get to the end of your "retail skill training" or whatever.

Yes Did not think of that dodgy one , should be made illegal.

Pricing people out of a job is not a great way to reduce unemployment. I'd have done my 1st job for free, just to gain the commerical experience. Of course the govt makes this illegal with a minimum wage law.

Pricing people out of a job is not a great way to reduce unemployment. I'd have done my 1st job for free, just to gain the commerical experience. Of course the govt makes this illegal with a minimum wage law.

But getting people to work for very little or nothing is a GREAT way of covering up the real unemployment figures.

Think you will find that interships and apprenticeships have got around the NMW.

How long would you have worked for free in your 1st job ?

Would you have been willing to that if at the end of the free period they got rid of you and took on another freebie and you knew that no one else would hire you as they had also got the benefit of the FREEBIE work force ?

Not surprising that we're forking out £1billion in housing benefit every 16 days. I can't see how this figure will reduce - the more people we have on low wages or part-time work etc., the more people will start to go with the flow and apply for their entitled benefits, whether it be tax credits or housing benefits. Most people actually don't want to do this, and they would prefer to stand on their own 2 feet, but the system gives them no option.

But getting people to work for very little or nothing is a GREAT way of covering up the real unemployment figures.

Think you will find that interships and apprenticeships have got around the NMW.

How long would you have worked for free in your 1st job ?

Would you have been willing to that if at the end of the free period they got rid of you and took on another freebie and you knew that no one else would hire you as they had also got the benefit of the FREEBIE work force ?

I would say around a year - and the company that hired me actually invested a lot of time in me and allowed me to learn on the job - i.e there was a reciprocal benefit. At the end of this time I ended up getting a pretty well paid job elsewhere - largely due to the experience gained in job #1.

Edited by MrB

I would say around a year - and the company that hired me actually invested a lot of time in me and allowed me to learn on the job - i.e there was a reciprocal benefit. At the end of this time I ended up getting a pretty well paid job elsewhere - largely due to the experience gained in job #1.

Yes but I was not actually asking for your individual experience , and let's remember that you did get paid .

I asked if you would have worked for free ( which you did not ) if you knew that at the end you would be replaced with another freebie and no other company would take you on as they could get freebies. I think the answer would be no .

Yes but I was not actually asking for your individual experience , and let's remember that you did get paid .

I asked if you would have worked for free ( which you did not ) if you knew that at the end you would be replaced with another freebie and no other company would take you on as they could get freebies. I think the answer would be no .

If you're asking me would I be happy to receive first class commercial experience unpaid - the answer is yes.

You frame the question with false dichotomy.

If you're asking me would I be happy to receive first class commercial experience unpaid - the answer is yes.

You frame the question with false dichotomy.

Thats not what i asked ,

I asked if you would work for free knowing that you would be got rid of when they replaced you with another freebie and other companies would not employ you paid as they could also access freebies , quite simple really if you read it .

Thats not what i asked ,

I asked if you would work for free knowing that you would be got rid of when they replaced you with another freebie and other companies would not employ you paid as they could also access freebies , quite simple really if you read it .

You describe a world where labour is free, where labour doesn't earn it's marginal product - a world which has never existed. So cutting the stupidity out of your question on your behalf - yes I would work for free - knowing that as I became more productive, another company would hire me and pay me in line with my productivity (and bid up my labour value so their competitors don't get me)!

You describe a world where labour is free, where labour doesn't earn it's marginal product - a world which has never existed. So cutting the stupidity out of your question on your behalf - yes I would work for free - knowing that as I became more productive, another company would hire me and pay me in line with my productivity (and bid up my labour value so their competitors don't get me)!

I did not describe any world . I asked if you would work for free knowing that you would be got rid of and replaced with another freebie and no one else would employ you as they could get free workers. You still won't answer that simple question no matter how many times it is put to you yet accuse me of stupidity .

But what if you did indeed become more productive, but instead of employers valuing that experience and productivity, and paying accordingly, they preferred to "hire" interns instead? This is probably what already happens in fields like archaeology and geology. Myriads of students/work placements/interns beavering away for free with very few progressing on to paid work.