House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
copydude

Hypocrisy Of The French

Hypocrisy Of The French

An Econo Rant

Greece amongst others is having to shape up and shake up no end of labour practices in order to repay the reckless French banks. Well, may they crash and burn.

Driving around France last week, I wondered if the French might consider taking some of this medicine themselves.

Two hour lunch hours are common as you get south of Orleans. On the way to Limoges, I planned to stop for a picnic lunch. Even supermarkets close FFS. I had to wait until three o'clock to get so much as a box of eggs.

I was on quiet enough roads to pass through all those villages that comprise three houses, a Post Office and a Mairie. Talk about a bloated public sector.

Greece is having to liberalise its professions too. Well in France, you can only buy a pack of cigarettes from a Tabac. Machines are outlawed. The Tabac is either closed for lunch or closed because it's Sunday or some other reason. Even in a major suburb of Toulouse I found everything closed after 8 . . .

By the way, haven't been to France for years, so it's news to me that all the bureau de change have disappeared. You can't change money anywhere, not banks, not hotels . . . and certainly not in any of those redundant Post Offices you see every ten yards.

Greece has been told to sell off some Ports. France however got a huge EU grant to redevelop Calais. Ferries run all night, yet the terminal building, restaurant and everything else is closed after 8. You have to get a ticket from a guy in a portakabin in a car park. The EU funding sits there with the lights out.

I could go on, but suffice to say there's not a lot about France I would rate triple A.

Hypocrisy Of The French

An Econo Rant

Greece amongst others is having to shape up and shake up no end of labour practices in order to repay the reckless French banks. Well, may they crash and burn.

Driving around France last week, I wondered if the French might consider taking some of this medicine themselves.

Two hour lunch hours are common as you get south of Orleans. On the way to Limoges, I planned to stop for a picnic lunch. Even supermarkets close FFS. I had to wait until three o'clock to get so much as a box of eggs.

I was on quiet enough roads to pass through all those villages that comprise three houses, a Post Office and a Mairie. Talk about a bloated public sector.

Greece is having to liberalise its professions too. Well in France, you can only buy a pack of cigarettes from a Tabac. Machines are outlawed. The Tabac is either closed for lunch or closed because it's Sunday or some other reason. Even in a major suburb of Toulouse I found everything closed after 8 . . .

By the way, haven't been to France for years, so it's news to me that all the bureau de change have disappeared. You can't change money anywhere, not banks, not hotels . . . and certainly not in any of those redundant Post Offices you see every ten yards.

Greece has been told to sell off some Ports. France however got a huge EU grant to redevelop Calais. Ferries run all night, yet the terminal building, restaurant and everything else is closed after 8. You have to get a ticket from a guy in a portakabin in a car park. The EU funding sits there with the lights out.

I could go on, but suffice to say there's not a lot about France I would rate triple A.

I think you should have stuck to the autoroute for your trip through France -- they do motorways quite well there (some of the best in the world): very clean, well lit, not crowded, large number of service stations (many with decent food), and you don't have to bother with trying to find a store that's open in the small villages.

Hypocrisy Of The French

An Econo Rant

Should have loaded up on fags at Calais, then no need to be angry at not getting your fix.

What's wrong with a two hour lunch? We use to have an hour or hour and a half years ago in the UK too.

You only need to work the extra 40 hours a month to pay the extra mortgage or rent because UK properties are too expensive.

I changed some GBP for EUR in a French post office a couple of years ago. No real problem, but a bit tedious, photo ID and address required.

Hypocrisy Of The French

An Econo Rant

The French always known what you are obviously yet to discocver. Running faster to stand still is pretty pointless. they have seen the UK adopting this philosophy and the outcome and want no part of it for obvious reasons.

I think you should have stuck to the autoroute for your trip through France -- they do motorways quite well there (some of the best in the world): very clean, well lit, not crowded, large number of service stations (many with decent food), and you don't have to bother with trying to find a store that's open in the small villages.

I agree with you about the excellent autoroutes. But I don't think everyone wants to spend a holiday in a motorway rest-stop paying top dollar for the peage tolls and well over the odds for petrol and food. I can find equally good rest stops in Belgium, Holland and Germany without the tolls.

I thought Tourism was important to France? Obviously not.

I agree with you about the excellent autoroutes. But I don't think everyone wants to spend a holiday in a motorway rest-stop paying top dollar for the peage tolls and well over the odds for petrol and food. I can find equally good rest stops in Belgium, Holland and Germany without the tolls.

I thought Tourism was important to France? Obviously not.

Just shame about the drivers. Absolute nutters. They were driving through a pea-souper fog like it was a bright sunny day (fast as hell bumper to bumper). One of the worst countries I have driven in, even Mexico was better.

During the boom I can remember Blair, Brown and the CBI all smugly lecturing France about the competitiveness of our economy, new economic paradigms etc etc. I'm sure they're gutted about how things have turned out.

I would respectfully suggest that most rants about the French economy are more to do with making us feel better about our wholehearted adoption of the corporatocratic neo-liberal model.

But hey, I could be wrong, maybe we'll emerge the stronger and it'll all be worth it.

Different strokes for different folks.

The two hour lunch is great and it also means most shops are open until 19:00 because of it. France works, just in its own way. I spend much of my time there - in Chamonix - and I'm always amazed at their efficiency; take the delivery structure as an example: if what you are looking for is not in stock most retailers will manage to have it for you next day. Little wonder you can get fresher sea fish in the middle of the Alps than I've had anywhere in the UK.

Productivity per man hour expended is amongst the highest in Europe and certainly higher than the States.

Next time you are there: relax and enjoy the two hour break over a delicious EUR €10 meal which you know would cost £30 at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMKLEeoR__A

La Haine the hatred the not so nice side of France a film( this is the trailor worth watching in less than 3minutes)

True that side of France is visible in PAris, Strasbourg & Lyon etc , but the UK this summer, well mainly the London area, has caught up with and gone further than the Banlieue....... Londoners are not so smug these days when comparing their city with Paris <_<

I'm often in France for work and pleasure and generally i find it to be much more civilised place than the Anglophone countries where the elites seem to take pleasure in shafting their populations.

In the last 4 years the Neo Liberal Anglosphere model has failed big time both economically & socially. We definately need a new model. This Autumn we will find out how robust the French & German models are once the Greeks default, causing the French to nationalise/re capitalise all their major banks.

Hypocrisy Of The French

An Econo Rant

The French put their work / life balance into perspective imo. Your life is short, and it's quality gets less as you race towards retirement. So, take a 2 hour lunch break ffs. Enjoy your pitiful time on this planet while you can. Forget the protestant work ethic, enriching some owner of production.

Get out there for a prolonged lunch, drink fabulous wines, chat up beautiful classy French Dames and take them to the local hotel for a good time, then go back to work feeling content and fulfilled. Or….

Work in some god-awful dump, eaning peanuts to maintain your slave box.

Just my humble opinion of course. B)

A most derivative scene I would have thought.

Kassovitz dining off the crumbs that fall from Scorsese's table.

La Haine is horribly overrated. A terribly bourgeois take on urban alienation.

Really i thought that your passion in France was china cups and pottery :lol:

Sorry for posting urban music from the French ghettos

This does not seem fit into your' Happy France' world

Are you selling French Property ? :lol:

A most derivative scene I would have thought.

Kassovitz dining off the crumbs that fall from Scorsese's table.

La Haine is horribly overrated. A terribly bourgeois take on urban alienation.

Out of idle curiosity, are you saying that its depiction of 'urban alienation' is inaccurate? Which bits?

I haven't been to France for a long time, though lived there a while and was 'adopted' by a French family, I liked the culture and the more relaxed way of life. The leisurely family meal around a table, community, the joy of being part of something.

When abroad it is we that need to adopt and maybe chill a little.

Less is more, more is a bore.

Vive la France! Vive la sieste!

Unlike La Haine, which has some merit but is overrated, NTM's 1992 Nique la police is just a limp derivation of NWA's 1988/9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfMXROZ9qvo&feature=fvwrel

Another example of France failing to live up to its cultural tradition.

Another example of French hypocrisy in that the French frequently criticise American culture while aping it slavishly.

MC Solaar has made a fine contribution to rap and has some breadth to his cultural references and some insight as we can see here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMOeePXGeIc

but NTM ?

Come on, get a life ...

Edited by indirectapproach

"Out of idle curiosity, are you saying that its depiction of 'urban alienation' is inaccurate? Which bits?"

The reality of the Paris banlieu is worse than that cinematographic depiction.

The director was close on the ennui, which I think would have been a better title for it but he missed on the squalor and hardcore deprivation by a mile, probably for fear of getting grime under his finger nails.

And that's hardly surprising as he's only made five films in the 16 years since the release of La Haine.

Hardly the record of some intense and serious observer of the sharp edges of the human condition.

The director was close on the ennui, which I think would have been a better title for it but he missed on the squalor and hardcore deprivation by a mile, probably for fear of getting grime under his finger nails.

There's only so much the French want to know about themselves.

Really i thought that your passion in France was china cups and pottery :lol:

Sorry for posting urban music from the French ghettos

This does not seem fit into your' Happy France' world

Are you selling French Property ? :lol:

Of course there are bits of France that are pretty unpleasant just as there are in the UK, it's just that there are more pleasant places in France than there are in the UK and houses in those more pleasant places are available at the cost of a house in an unpleasant place in the UK.

"Out of idle curiosity, are you saying that its depiction of 'urban alienation' is inaccurate? Which bits?"

And that's hardly surprising as he's only made five films in the 16 years since the release of La Haine.

Hardly the record of some intense and serious observer of the sharp edges of the human condition.

Okey Dokey. I misinterpreted your comment as meaning "no, La Haine is all wrong, the suburbs are all pink and fluffy."

My bad :)