House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
meltsheep

Bought A House - And People Offer Me Congratulations!

I finally did it! I bought a house in harringay. Its bit run down, and I got it for about 15% under the initial asking price.

When I tell people they congratulate me as if I just got married or had a promotion.

What's to congratulate in taking on a large mortgage, months of expensive building work, a lot of dust and the threat of having all my stuff stolen by roaming Romanians in search of a place to set up home?

Speaking of which, since it may be empty for a bit,. what can I do to protect against squatters?

I finally did it! I bought a house in harringay. Its bit run down, and I got it for about 15% under the initial asking price.

When I tell people they congratulate me as if I just got married or had a promotion.

What's to congratulate in taking on a large mortgage, months of expensive building work, a lot of dust and the threat of having all my stuff stolen by roaming Romanians in search of a place to set up home?

Speaking of which, since it may be empty for a bit,. what can I do to protect against squatters?

Make sure it is thoroughly secure give neighbours your mobile to tip off any trouble. If people have to break in they cannot assume squatters rights.

How can you buy a place in an area you can't even spell the name of ?!! :P

And run down? that would describe most of the area! I hope you didn't pay too much for the place!

Not a lot you can do if they are determined to get in, I suspect. Get it refurbished as soon as possible. How many bedrooms?

What would you prefer people to say? "Sorry about that" "Unlucky" . You sound as miserable as your run down house.

Anyway.. Congratulations :D

If you are so worried about Romanians, theft, building-work, expensive mortgage and dust, then it really begs the question of why you bought the place?