House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phaedrus

Would You Sell To An Estate Agent?

I've just put my house up for sale. An Estate Agent who works for the Agency the house is on with, is coming to view it tomorrow. If he makes an offer then I would be pleased and would accept it, but a part of me would feel a sense of shame that I'd sold to a rampant ramper.

So what are the ethics of selling to an EA?

PS This is meant to be a light hearted post to bring a little fun to a Friday afternoon, so take it in the spirit it's meant, the more morose forum members need not subscribe.

;)

Ramp the price up and say YOU CAN AFFORD IT!!! Just get an Interest Only mortgage over 30 years. With interest rates this lower there is not a better time to buy.

If it was me I would probably think he was conning you. See Daily Mirror - Thursday gone.

The OFT are investigating EA's who are telling people their house is worth £100K - getting their mates to buy it and then putting it straight back on the market for £140K (example).

If they done the valuation - and it was recent - be very wary!

Good points, all three. I was thinking along these lines, but if he offers asking price then I will have made a very large profit and offloaded a house, whether he sells it on or not will be irrelevant to me as I'll walk away happy.

In the current market buyers are allegedly far and few between. If its an asking price offer, or just below, I'd accept.

I would get an independent valuation before doing so though!

Make sure you tell the EA-buyer that you have had an over-asking offer from another EA and he will have to match it....

Seriously, be very cautious about this - it sounds like a classic scam. If anything goes wrong, be ready to go immediately to the regulators.

Never ever trust an estate agent .......... he will try and offer a lower price just before you exchange.

best to tell him/her, that someone has approached you direct and not via the Agency and that they have offered £5k less than the asking price. See his reaction to that ..........

Did you get valuations from more than one EA before you put it on the market?

Yes, got three quotes. This agency were in the middle. I wanted to go for the lowest valuation but my wife wouldn't have any of it. :rolleyes: The valuations were within a £20000 range of one another so fairly consistent.

As long as you are happy the EA is giving you a fair market value (whatever that is these days) then I'd agree with leemo - take it and run.

That is what I was going to say.