HOLA441
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Who ever doubted time travel was impossible?

These guys are from the future.

alien.jpg

Slightly genetically modified, increased eyes for more data input and thus bigger brain, no testostorone because of all the problems that causes, pale skinned so they get just the right amount of UV-B to boost their VitD and in a semi fasted state becuase they dont need to exercise like we do.

Say hello to your great great great great grand daughter. ;)

No testosterone=boring life. What's the point of living?

HOLA446
HOLA447

alien.jpg

Slightly genetically modified, increased eyes for more data input and thus bigger brain, no testostorone because of all the problems that causes, pale skinned so they get just the right amount of UV-B to boost their VitD and in a semi fasted state becuase they dont need to exercise like we do.

Hey, that's my theory. Well, actually my theory involves neotony and a lack of excercise, but there we go. Explains all sorts of stuff, Alien abductions, cow experiments, god(s), circle of time, afterlife, the lot.

HOLA448

Looks like the Kessel run could indeed be done in less than 12 parsecs :rolleyes:

Some sort of Einstein-Rosen bridge might allow you to take "shortcuts".

Traveling to the stars via "conventional" faster than light speeds does lay you open to the problem of time dilation. You could end up in the far future, on leftover sets from Hello Dolly, caught in the crossfire between intelligent apes and radioactive mutants.

ApeDolly05.jpg

ApeStairs03.jpg

hello-dolly1.jpg

Not recommended.

HOLA449

alien.jpg

I would need to mate with both William Hague AND Harriet Harman to create that!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I know all about the parsecs being a measure of distance thing, as pointed out on Family Guy

I've never really understood the problem with the Millennium Falcon making the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs (other than perhaps it should have been 'fewer than' :D) -- if the M.F. warps space in order to achieve its (apparent) high speed, then I assumed that Han Solo was just bragging about the extent to which his ship was able to warp space.

Or, at least, if I was George Lucas, that's the nonsense I would've made up in order to cover for my gaffe.

HOLA4412

I've never really understood the problem with the Millennium Falcon making the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs (other than perhaps it should have been 'fewer than' :D) -- if the M.F. warps space in order to achieve its (apparent) high speed, then I assumed that Han Solo was just bragging about the extent to which his ship was able to warp space.

Or, at least, if I was George Lucas, that's the nonsense I would've made up in order to cover for my gaffe.

Yes, that's the explanation my son likes too, though there's no chance whatsoever that it's what Lucas had in mind.

Of course, one could argue that the line should then have excluded the word "in".

HOLA4413

Here's the official explanation :rolleyes:

The Kessel Run was one of the most heavily-used routes in the Galactic Empire[3] Han Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". A parsec was a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs.[source?] The smuggler, BoShek, actually beat Solo's record in his ship, Infinity, but without cargo to weigh him down. A few months later, Han Solo beat both his own and BoShek's records in a run he made with Luke Skywalker.

HOLA4414

But we would all know that it was just because it had the letters "sec" in it. :D

(I don't think science was Lucas' strongpoint, hearing those Tie fighters groan and bank against the air

That sort of thing seems pretty standard in most film and TV spaceships shooting at each other stuff. If space combat was to ever really occur it would no doubt take place very quickly at very long ranges (rather like it seems to in Iain Banks' books) and wouldn't make exciting film.

HOLA4415

No matter what the rabid SW fans fan-w&nk, George (and those fans) is/are still talking out of his &rse because a parsec is a measure based on distances in OUR solar system, and Star Wars is, as everyone surely knows, set in Galaxy Far Far Away which has no knowledge of Earth. Parsec is thus not a measure they would use. He might as well have scripted 'A gazillion dingleberries.'

Anyway, the Mash nails it and brings it back on topic for us:

http://www.thedailym...y-201109234342/

Edited partly because so much of my post was bleeped!biggrin.gif

HOLA4416

No matter what the rabid SW fans fan-w&nk, George (and those fans) is/are still talking out of his &rse because a parsec is a measure based on distances in OUR solar system, and Star Wars is, as everyone surely knows, set in Galaxy Far Far Away which has no knowledge of Earth. Parsec is thus not a measure they would use. He might as well have scripted 'A gazillion dingleberries.'

Compared with speaking English?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I think he meant their use of parsec is moot when they are from a galaxy far away and speak English!

Ahh.......!

Still, I could live with that. It's sensible to have it all in spoken in English, after all. The time things like this get really silly is when the humans meet the aliens and the aliens speak English.

Unless they learnt it from Sesame Street:

HOLA4422

Ahh.......!

Still, I could live with that. It's sensible to have it all in spoken in English, after all. The time things like this get really silly is when the humans meet the aliens and the aliens speak English.

Unless they learnt it from Sesame Street:

No - the really ridiculous bit is where we try to hack into their computer systems and they ALL have the same USB ports. What an amazing co-incidence.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Nothing new under the sun - yet another 'scientific' theory that is just a lie based on 10000s of assumptions.

Science as we know it is overrated big time. :ph34r:

Agreed. We think we know a lot more than we actually do. Still interesting though.

HOLA4425

Agreed. We think we know a lot more than we actually do. Still interesting though.

Very interesting!

Here's the latest article from New Scientist about brain:

LINK

It confirms most of my fears about modern money&prestige-driven science. Most of it is guessing backed up by big titles and univesity names.

One of the last paragraph:

Not only did the growth in the size of our brains cease around 200,000 years ago, in the past 10,000 to 15,000 years the average size of the human brain compared with our body has shrunk by 3 or 4 per cent. Some see this as no cause for concern. Size, after all, isn't everything, and it's perfectly possible that the brain has simply evolved to make better use of less grey and white matter. That would seem to fit with some genetic studies, which suggest that our brain's wiring is more efficient now than it was in the past.

I'd like to see those tests that they performed on the brain's wiring from 200,000 years ago. Maybe they also have some old IQ tests...

I almost feel sorry for scientists... If they accepted the fact that our brains are getting smaller and therefore weaker, they would have to rewrite most of the theory of evolution... So, it's easier to come up with some made-up explanation... :rolleyes:

Archived