House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Council Refuses Pp On Shed - Young Girl Trying To Save For A Deposit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2040486/Council-bans-NHS-worker-living-parents-shed-saves-mortgage-deposit.html

A 20-year-old woman is fighting a council’s decision to ban her from living in a shed in her parents’ back garden. NHS worker Victoria Campbell has been living in a one-bedroom cabin since last September while she saves up for a deposit for a house.

The structure was built by her parents, Jenny and Colin, at a cost of £14,000

The shed was intended to be a temporary home for Miss Campbell and her boyfriend, Bill Warden, while they saved for a deposit on a mortgage. But now her local council has given her nine months to move out of the shed at Havant, Hampshire, or face a fine.

The council’s planning committee ruled that it was ‘not appropriate for primary living accommodation.’

They also said it ‘created an undesirable precedent which would make it difficult to refuse similar further applications.’

A report raised concerns about the ‘adverse impact on adjoining residents’ and that it ‘did not provide adequate living conditions for the current occupier.’

But NHS care worker Miss Campbell thinks the decision is unfair and has decided to appeal with the help of a top planning consultant. She said: 'We thought it was unfair. There’s lots of it going on and they have come down hard on us. We don’t want to live here permanently. I can understand it’s impractical for permanent use. But we do need to save money and pay off our debts.'

Miss Campbell now wants temporary planning permission for the cabin, which was originally recommended by council officers at Havant Borough Council. And she has the support of a local planning consultants 'fusion tp', a company made up of former local authority planning officers. Jonathan McDermott, managing director of the company said: 'We have seen the decision and are concerned.

'Planning permission should have been given from the council and in support of that is previous inspector’s decisions.'

article-2040486-0E09534800000578-984_468x373.jpg

article-2040486-0E096F6900000578-756_468x286.jpg

the problem is not the shed.

the problem is not that she is living with her boyfriend. in her parents backyard.

the problem is, nobody for a second thought that the 14k spent on the shed would be better invested in her deposit fund. and it wouldnt. that is the problem...14k does nothing when it comes to saving for a house.

because it wouldve done f*all in this stupid climate we find ourselves in.

1997 that wouldve been a 25% deposit on a 3 bedroomed semi in outer london. zone 4

today, we use it to build a shed, so that we can "save" for a deposit ...ridiculous.

Oh no...that means half the population of Slough will be out on their ears tomorrow !!!

Nah, they cant be evicted because they only speak some weird foreign language for which no translator exists. Thus their 'uman rights as defined by a group of commision hungry lawyers cant be read them.

Well, thats what i ascertained from watching various episodes of grimefighter type programmes.

Her crime is she speaks english as a first language.

She needs to claim to be a traveller, then she has at least a decade before any eviction is enforced. The council will even pay her housing benefit for leaving in that illegally occupied dwelling. Happy days...

Property prices must be upheld at all costs. But don't worry your local MP is your housing champion: "We need more schemes for shared ownership." Yadadada

There was a thread yesterday about this sort of thing saying that it was completely legal to build and live in provided it was intended for family or friends of family and that it was not available for rent to the public.

Sounds like the council have got sand in their vagina in that whilst this couple live in the shed, that's one lot of Council Tax not being paid had they been renting a flat or house somewhere.

I'll throw this in. I was at a jumblesale last Sunday (Pompey Football Ground), young couple, mid 20s, selling everything including their car at the jumblesale to start a new life NewZealand. Without a HPC, young people in general, have no chance in this country.

So we can deduce from this the act of sleeping is now illegal in your own shed, which is yours. I'd tell them they have got it all wrong, I was just resting with my eyes closed, I like to be in my shed during night, i'm actually nocturnal.

Some council houses, yesterday

housing.jpg

What's wrong with her facking shed?????????????? The council should get real. This is the UK 2012. A shed is a distant ambition for many people who's only real hope is an attic in a sublet council flat with 17 Polish imigrants and a wolf.

Britain is finished. It'll be the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb that'll bring us together.

Living frugally and saving. Clearly she hasn't read the instruction book.

How to obtain fees and taxes from those who are trying to help themselves....kill it at its prime, then forever pay the cost of those incentivised to give up and fail....join the club...all in it together. ;)

Edit: Add a few health and safety regs....what have you got....game, set and match. :(

Edited by winkie

Some council houses, yesterday

housing.jpg

What's wrong with her facking shed?????????????? The council should get real. This is the UK 2012. A shed is a distant ambition for many people who's only real hope is an attic in a sublet council flat with 17 Polish imigrants and a wolf.

Britain is finished. It'll be the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb that'll bring us together.

1bed flat there for £90k, plenty of them for sale...

6.5 times mortgage and she can become a part of the property owning democracy!

You could buy them for about £8k 10 years ago. Even less with RTB.

Some old dear got a BTL expecting an income and now this woman has gone and selfishly housed herself denying a little old lady of her rental income. Now her landlord can't afford to put food on the table. If she dies of starvation it will be this woman's fault. Give her the lethal injection I say.

At the back of my Aunts road in Heston there is a row of garages , all turned into "living" accommodation by the Asian community. They just move their family into the garage no plumbing or heating as such. despite many complaints over many years nothing has been done. But that doesn't surprise anyone does it?

Edited by Oh Well :(

Well how dare she live frugely and save for a proper house. Doesnt she know protocol is to get a mortgage way beyond your means so you're trapped into being a mortgage slave?

The council can't have the peasants not playing ball :rolleyes: