House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IMupNorth

Thousands Of New Jobs Being Created

For the sake of balance - thought I'd post this.

http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/news/ma...xportaltop.html

All you get on here are stories of doom and gloom, well here's one story that say nearly 11,000 jobs are being created. Probably quite well paid jobs as well.

Don't suppose you mentalist bears want to register this fact, but it ain't all doom and gloom out there.

Oh and by the way the oil price is falling back, currently around $62 a barrel - that should ease the pressure on inflation.

Oh and by the way the oil price is falling back, currently around $62 a barrel - that should ease the pressure on inflation.

If somebody a couple of years ago said that oil falling back to $62 would ease inflation half the finance ministers would of had a heart attack. Unfortunately not even $50 oil has filtered through yet, give it 18-24 months before it really crunches, hopefully we will see some demand destruction by then.

IMupNorth,

Would it be possible for you to run a topic without the need to call pretty much every other forum user a "mentalist"?

If not, would it not be entirely reasonable for every other forum user to direct abuse at you?

If somebody a couple of years ago said that oil falling back to $62 would ease inflation half the finance ministers would of had a heart attack. Unfortunately not even $50 oil has filtered through yet, give it 18-24 months before it really crunches, hopefully we will see some demand destruction by then.

Quite...there is a typical bullish 'blinkeredness' to thinking that oil prices falling back to $62 a barrel is somehow going to make everything alright. No. The short-term spike due to Katrina has now abated, but the underlying, REAL, and persistent reason for high (and increasing) prices is still there - i.e. we are running out of the stuff.

And by the way, I do find it ironic that a bull should quote immediate short-term price data for oil prices, when they seem functionally incapable of considering house price flucuation over periods of less than their beloved YoY.

Got yea there Bulls! :D

p.s. I listened to Krusty the other day on the radio interview someone posted....here is what I noticed:

Interviewer:"What do you think about HPC.co.uk?"

Kirsty: "I think it is disgusting that a site like HPC is trying to cause a crash and destroy millions of peoples dreams etc."

Then about twenty minutes later IN THE SAME INTERVIEW:

Interviewer: "do programs like yours that plainly put a positive spin on the market have an effect on house prices?"

Kirsty: "No of course not, the market is way too big to be influenced by a TV program."

But apparently a lowly internet site CAN influence the market, eh kirsty? <_<

Bulls...full of SH1T. :D

Bring on the crash!

Edited by marko

IMupNorth,

Would it be possible for you to run a topic without the need to call pretty much every other forum user a "mentalist"?

If not, would it not be entirely reasonable for every other forum user to direct abuse at you?

Point taken - 'but if the cap fits, wear it' !! - not all the bears on here are 'mental' - just too high a proportion who can't consider any other option that total economic meltdown, being triggered right here, right now. I'm big enough, and distant enough, to take all the abuse the nutters on here dish out. Most of it just makes me laugh !!

I'm not so sure that this will necessarily "create" 10K jobs, so much as safeguard existing ones.

Anyone in the aeronautical industry care to comment?

I'mupnorth - I'm not cussing your post, it's just worth bearing in mind that BAE et al. work decades into the future...

I'm not so sure that this will necessarily "create" 10K jobs, so much as safeguard existing ones.

I'mupnorth - I'm not cussing your post, it's just worth bearing in mind that BAE et al. work decades into the future...

Yeah, sure: The wings were already being built here, were always going to be built here, and in fact of course the industrial facilities etc. to build them have already existed here for years (because we already built and flew one months ago).

Where were you?

It is of course wonderful to see news like this - but on aggregate it is eclipsed somewhat by Rover shutting down, and the hundreds of thousands of jobs that have leached out of industry in the past 8 years.

What were you saying about 'it ain't all doom and gloom'?

Interviewer:"What do you think about HPC.co.uk?"

Kirsty: "I think it is disgusting that a site like HPC is trying to cause a crash and destroy millions of peoples dreams etc."

i wasnt dreaming of handing over 100ks worth of record debt to the boomers and no job to pay it back with.

did she really say this.? im suprised its having such an impact on her. i though she was the expert.

i wasnt dreaming of handing over 100ks worth of record debt to the boomers and no job to pay it back with.

did she really say this.? im suprised its having such an impact on her. i though she was the expert.

Where dya get that quote from RFD?

Would like to see the whole article. Or are taking the pith again?

Don't suppose you mentalist bears want to register this fact, but it ain't all doom and gloom out there.

You seem to be upset with us bears – so I though this joke may amuse you (as it’s Friday) – you can imagine yourself as the rabbit

------------------------------------------------------------

The Bear and the Rabbit

Once upon a time there was a frog who lived in a lake all by himself.

He had been given special powers by a local witch. One day he finally

ventured out of the lake to get his first glimpse of the world outside.

The first thing he saw was a bear chasing a rabbit and so he called out

to them and asked them to stop.

Then he said to them: "I am a magical frog and since you are the first

two animals I have ever seen, I am going to grant you both three wishes.

You will each take turns using them and you have to use them now."

The bear (being greedy) went first. I would like for every bear in this

forest to be female except for me." A magical sound and it was done.

Then the rabbit. "I would like a helmet." This confused both the frog

and the bear, but after a magical sound there was a helmet.

It was the bear's turn again. "I would like for every bear in the

neighbouring forest to be female." A magical sound and it was done.

The rabbit went again. "I would like a motorcycle."

Both the frog and the bear wondered why the rabbit didn't just ask for

a lot of money with which he could buy himself a motorcycle, but after

a magical sound there was a motorcycle. The bear took his last wish. "I

would like for all the bears in the world to be female except for me."

A magical sound and it was done.

The rabbit then put on his helmet, started up the motorcycle, and said

"I wish the bear was gay" and took off like a bat out of hell.

All you get on here are stories of doom and gloom, well here's one story that say nearly 11,000 jobs are being created. Probably quite well paid jobs as well.

These figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

It's only when you actually know about particular articles in the media that you the breathtaking inaccuracy of reporting in general.

For example, when I used to work for a large American company who were supposed to be moving their office from a dump they had inherited from the startup they bought over to a prestigious city centre location, it was reported in the local labour rag that this move was to create 2000 new jobs. The company was actually mightly upset at this, because at no time had they said this. At most there was going to be around 100 new jobs over a prolonged time period, but the local labour rags took the opportunity to blow their own trumpet at this achievement they had 'managed to pull'.

As someone else has said, these 11000 jobs are likely to include many that are relocated from elsewhere and will likely have some hypothetical 'knock on' total added on, as in jobs indirectly created through support industries (burger van in the car park, etc.).

It's funny how when companies report job losses, however, that we never get the same such 'honesty' with estimates of how many other jobs in supporting industries are likely to also be lost.

I find it hard to believe that 11000 jobs will be created in a facility to make just part of a few aeroplanes so I am going to stick my neck out and conclude that this figure is at best spun, and at worst, sheer fantasy.

Don't build your hopes up too much. High oil prices and the green lobby will see off mass travel by aeroplane. It will go back to the privileged few and not the great unwashed! A new outfit is starting at STN with a B767 with about ten seats (well maybe more, you know what i mean) all paying top dollar. I've got a feeling they might be ahead of the game?

Don't build your hopes up too much. High oil prices and the green lobby will see off mass travel by aeroplane. It will go back to the privileged few and not the great unwashed! A new outfit is starting at STN with a B767 with about ten seats (well maybe more, you know what i mean) all paying top dollar. I've got a feeling they might be ahead of the game?

It will take decades - 50 years or more - before anybody succeeds in rolling back mass travel by air. And it won't be the green lobby but the price of oil.

These figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

It's only when you actually know about particular articles in the media that you the breathtaking inaccuracy of reporting in general.

For example, when I used to work for a large American company who were supposed to be moving their office from a dump they had inherited from the startup they bought over to a prestigious city centre location, it was reported in the local labour rag that this move was to create 2000 new jobs. The company was actually mightly upset at this, because at no time had they said this. At most there was going to be around 100 new jobs over a prolonged time period, but the local labour rags took the opportunity to blow their own trumpet at this achievement they had 'managed to pull'.

As someone else has said, these 11000 jobs are likely to include many that are relocated from elsewhere and will likely have some hypothetical 'knock on' total added on, as in jobs indirectly created through support industries (burger van in the car park, etc.).

It's funny how when companies report job losses, however, that we never get the same such 'honesty' with estimates of how many other jobs in supporting industries are likely to also be lost.

I find it hard to believe that 11000 jobs will be created in a facility to make just part of a few aeroplanes so I am going to stick my neck out and conclude that this figure is at best spun, and at worst, sheer fantasy.

I agree with the thrust of your argument but in a properly functioning economy most job 'losses' are not real but just churn as unsuccessful organisations or sectors decline. Their workers are absorbed by other, better, organisations either in the same sector or in other sectors. It's not the job 'loss' that is to be mourned, traumatic as it might be for the individual, its when the economy does not create new jobs at the same rate as those being lost. Perhaps this is happening in the UK economy at the moment but only mildly so. (Although I am concerned that many of the new 'jobs' are non-jobs in the public sector).

Point taken - 'but if the cap fits, wear it' !! - not all the bears on here are 'mental' - just too high a proportion who can't consider any other option that total economic meltdown, being triggered right here, right now. I'm big enough, and distant enough, to take all the abuse the nutters on here dish out. Most of it just makes me laugh !!

Personally I wouldnt want to lower myself to your level of calling complete strangers names.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It will take decades - 50 years or more - before anybody succeeds in rolling back mass travel by air. And it won't be the green lobby but the price of oil.

Or,

Overcapacity in the industry, half empty planes flying around, 'consolidation' (read collapse), American carriers going bust by the day shored up by Chapter 11, most companies struggling with fuel/staff costs?

Please be under no illusion that some/most/all airlines are really going to be stuffed by oil prices. Taking the absolute MINIMUM required fuel uplift is becoming the norm! Gone are the days of a few extra tons for the 'wife & kids'!! P45 talk.

Be under no illusion most crews are now counting reserves in fractions!!! A while back it was half-an-hour plus thinking time alone, not now.

Airbus make some seriously VERY nice machines but they won't save the planet, sorry.

Airbus will not save the UK economy from overpriced houses, shopping and BMW's. Sorry but we are fooked.

Guest Bart of Darkness
she's disgusted because so many people take the **** out of her. i would be.

If you can't take the heat Krusty...

You've certainly taken enough cheques from your high profile position as a property "expert", here is the inevitable downside.

By the way, if you're reading this and fancy a bit of Northern rough.... ;)

Worth a try! :)

It's not the job 'loss' that is to be mourned, traumatic as it might be for the individual, its when the economy does not create new jobs at the same rate as those being lost. Perhaps this is happening in the UK economy at the moment but only mildly so. (Although I am concerned that many of the new 'jobs' are non-jobs in the public sector).

It's more than mildly disturbing when you consider the private sector hasn't created new jobs since 2003. The new jobs are exclusively public sector jobs. This can't go on forever, like many of the things that have happened over the last 5 years or so (e.g. HPI at 20% pa, ever decreasing interest rates).

IMupNorth, I suspect, has been suckered into believing that spending ever more yet-to-be-earned money is a prudent and sustainable way for an economy to grow. There is a limit to what can be borrowed an we're pretty close to it.

I agree, I see this article as simply spin!

My understanding is that the Airbus A350 is to replace the Airbus A330, with later versions replacing the A340. As one new airliner comes along they cease production of the predecessor, as happened when the A320, A321 and A330 replaced the A300 and A310, this is simply a case of safeguarding existing jobs!

What happened to the many thousands of BAE engineers who lost their jobs when the company ceased production of Civil Airliners, anyone remember the likes of the BAE 146, Avro RJ85/RJ100 and the Jetstream. Seem to recall they were even about to launch a twin engined version of the Avro RJ shortly before they ceased production of all civil types! I'll not mention something called Concorde!

Hi,

That is good new. Good news becasue it is not the usual McJobs we are seem to chasing in UK plc. It is good you posted that as well because I use this site myself as one of many sources on investent and economics in general. These are real jobs of the kind you need at the base of a real economy to support real house prices.

I don't think this site is enitirely negative because you get so many quotes, links, analysis and charts from virtually every economic and invetsment organisation out there. It is a balance against a very biased media and powerful property spin market (think Kirsty encouraging people into financial oblivion every week).

Is it enough? It's a welcome piece of good news. But how much have we lost since? Rememebr as well that it is only through Airbus and the EU that this part of the project work has been distributed this way. That is worrying. Look at our peers. America is still the world's largest Manufacturer. Germany is still the world's largets exporter. France is still one of (if not THE) the world's leaders in commercial aerospace and renewable energy. OK, the Americain situation is worrying, but they are big enough to be self sufficient if need be. Canada is a world leader in software and high technology development with vast, untapped oil and natural resources. France and Germay have some problems but I think they are in a far stronger position.They don't have the crazy levels of debt and houseprices we do and at the base a real economy. At a time when they are meant to be going through a rough time! That is not being pessimistic, it's being realistic, using available information to take a long hard look at ourselves and not be washed up in a froth of vested media spin like a bunch of gullible peasants. I take great objection to Wiggleswoth and Allsop, the puppets of VI destroying the fabric of our economy and wrecking the financial lives in the near future of a small number of FTB,s and people looking to build a modest faimly home. It works both ways.