House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Save Our Savers London/boe Demo

Looks like the Save Our Savers have had enough of the current situation and are organising a protest:

THE SAVE OUR SAVERS DEMONSTRATION

Venue: Opposite the Bank of England by Bank Underground station in front of the Royal Exchange.

Date: Thursday October 6th

Time: Between 11am-1pm (then adjourning to a local hostelry)

Everybody is welcome to just turn up on the day. But it would be useful if you could reply to this e-mail if you are coming, so we have some idea of numbers.

Save Our Savers has been in the news a great deal over the past few months, as you can see from our website press coverage page. Sadly, this is mainly because of the appalling savings environment, which shows no sign of being alleviated any time soon.

We will be at the Conservative Party Conference in Manchester at the beginning of October to solicit support and remind those attending that in 2009 David Cameron promised the abolition of basic rate income tax on savings. Somehow all that talk from he and George Osborne of turning Britain from a nation of debtors into a country of savers seems to have been forgotten.

But we must do more to raise the profile of savers. In the past, many of you have suggested that we hold a demonstration to highlight savers’ plight. So we shall be doing exactly that.

On Thursday October 6th, the Monetary Policy Committee will meet at the Bank of England to decide whether to hold the base rate at 0.5% for a 32nd month. We will be outside between 11am and 1pm and, if you are able to join us, we would be glad to see you.

The City of London Police have given permission for us to congregate opposite The Bank of England on the triangular plaza in front of The Royal Exchange, an area flanked by Threadneedle Street and Cornhill.

==================================

"The City of London Police have given permission for us to congregate opposit"....That's good of them. :rolleyes:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Would love to join in but I am working.. Wanted to protest outside a BOE meeting for a long time.

I hope this gets some media attention on the day, it might frighten investors and help push up rates.

That's the main problem with a mid-week protest, all the people working and saving are not available.

Hopefully there will be a LOT of wrinklies there tho.

I doubt the police will get much respect if they are seen truncheoning some old dear.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Are we allowed to come in fancy dress like this? :D

hugo-weaving-3.jpg?w=300&h=200

I dont think you have permission from the Police to wear that, you best ask them :P

I find it funny that the British people need permission to protest...it's very.....British.

Wanted to protest outside a BOE meeting for a long time.

Waste of time , King and co don't give a flying , they know full well what there doing ..........

http://investmentwatchblog.com/mervyn-kings-apology-i-sympathise-completely-with-savers-and-those-who-behaved-prudently-now-find-themselves-among-the-biggest-losers-from-this-crisis/

Mervyn King’s Apology: “I sympathise completely with savers and those who behaved prudently now find themselves among the biggest losers from this crisis.”

In a year or two King will retire on his inflation proofed pension , then hopefully he will die :)

Edited by grey shark

Waste of time , King and co don't give a flying , they know full well what there doing ..........

http://investmentwatchblog.com/mervyn-kings-apology-i-sympathise-completely-with-savers-and-those-who-behaved-prudently-now-find-themselves-among-the-biggest-losers-from-this-crisis/

Mervyn King’s Apology: “I sympathise completely with savers and those who behaved prudently now find themselves among the biggest losers from this crisis.”

In a year or two King will retire on his inflation proofed pension , then hopefully he will die :)

Don't have to hope for that......the first shall be last and the last shall be first.....they can kill the savings, they will then kill the land. ;)

I'm going.

Taking the day off work. Any suggestions for my placard?

What do we want, higher interest

When do we want it, well two years ago would have useful as since then I've lost my big toe to frost bite, can't pay the bills you see

[it may require a little work]

Taking the day off work. Any suggestions for my placard?

Honk if you're horny.

Save our savers?

Save yourselves!

1974krugerrandrevcrop400.jpg

1922-peace-silver-dollar-coin.jpg

No one else will.

"BoE are Thieves!

Quantative Easing devalues my our money."

Corrected - to make it sound less selfish

Edited by lulu

I don't suppose the MODs could PIN this thread until the day of the protest ?

It's an unashamed plug for another website but their hearts are in the right place and it would be in the interest of HPC to see rates rises.

Bring some kind of mask if you value your privacy because you will be filmed. Doesn't have to be a sinister looking balaclava; a jokey rubber mask of Merv will do it.

Personally I'm against this save our savers campaign, Its a free market they can go and invest their money in share' commodity their is Zopa, lending circle all in all there must be well over a thousand things they can invest their money in. If sticking their money in a bank at 4.5% is the best they think they can do then stop complaining about it.

The people who I feel sorry for is the people who are losing their job.