House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Tesco To Start Supermarket Price War

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8780284/Tesco-to-start-supermarket-price-war.html

Britain's biggest supermarket chain has ordered all of its store managers to come into work on Sunday to help the shops prepare for the announcement, which is expected to see Tesco concentrate on simpler promotions, with fewer buy-one-get-one-free offers and more low, round prices.

It is also expected to use its Clubcard scheme to reduce the number of shoppers who increasingly flit from Tesco to rivals in search of lower prices.

Shoppers have been cutting back on groceries as gas and electricity bills have climbed. Latest official statistics show that volumes of sales in large food stores were down 1.3pc last month.

Looks like Merv will be rubbing his hands if they can have a real price war it might allow him to print more funny money to stop deflation....

It is also expected to use its Clubcard scheme to reduce the number of shoppers who increasingly flit from Tesco to rivals in search of lower prices.

how?

Loosely translated:

"Tesco have whacked their prices up recently so they can pretend to have a sale".

They are certainly doing it with Petrol round our way. The supermarkets used to offer the cheapest fuel, not it looks expensive unless you have their "spend 50 quid in store and save 5p a litre" voucher.

how?

Could be a dangerous tactic. Presumably prices will be lower for the more you spend. That would just stop me from spending anything with them if their prices are not competitve for a non clubcard holder.

Just a thought.

....another two big supermarkets opening not far from me.....more dilution of cash in the system to spend on food....people eat less in the summer, they are away more in the summer, they grow more and forage more in the summer, then they freeze it, pickle and preserve it for later.

Why stay loyal to one shop?....buy different things from different places...all of them will have their weekly loss leaders to encourage foot flow.... for most you have to walk right through the store to find them.....don't be tempted along the way. :P

I don't find Tesco the cheapest. Try their 5x pack sausage rolls and then try the Lidyl ones. Similar price but the quality is much better in the Lidyl brands. I refuse to use any club cards, so they might as well be quadruple points. I don't want to waste my time sifting through the vouchers in the post. Make a list and buy what you need, no more, no less. If it is on offer, then it is a bonus. No loss.

They are certainly doing it with Petrol round our way. The supermarkets used to offer the cheapest fuel, not it looks expensive unless you have their "spend 50 quid in store and save 5p a litre" voucher.

It's expensive MPG wise even with the 5p discount.

Supermarkets don't have stickers on their pumps saying "Includes detergent additive" for nothing :lol:

Loosely translated:

"Tesco have whacked their prices up recently so they can pretend to have a sale".

That old chestnut......50% off or half price what?.......increase it to drop it, what a massive saving that is ;)

Why stay loyal to one shop?....buy different things from different places...all of them will have their weekly loss leaders to encourage foot flow.... for most you have to walk right through the store to find them.....don't be tempted along the way. :P

quite,

Last summer Tescos had a great deal on Lager, cant remember the offer, but it was better (pence per can) than the current offering of deals.

we bought between us £500 of lager, Cider etc, stocked up for a while. as we were putting it through the till, we got a few funny looks from the staff.

this year though, i notice they have a note saying 1 deal per transaction. so we cant do that like that again, so i just pop in on my way home and get 3 crates each day for a couple of days to stock up

quite,

Last summer Tescos had a great deal on Lager, cant remember the offer, but it was better (pence per can) than the current offering of deals.

we bought between us £500 of lager, Cider etc, stocked up for a while. as we were putting it through the till, we got a few funny looks from the staff.

this year though, i notice they have a note saying 1 deal per transaction. so we cant do that like that again, so i just pop in on my way home and get 3 crates each day for a couple of days to stock up

'When the going gets tough, the tough get going'....... ;)

Loosely translated:

Oh yes and it's not just Testo, ASDA are at it. Carte Noire has gone up to £3.65 in ASDA and £3.09 in Tesco.

Only earlier this year I was buying at £2 per 100g, last month £2.50 per 100g. The best deal is not £3 per 100g.

Now buying 6x500g tins wholesale to get it at £1.80 per tin. That works out 40% cheaper than the supermarkets. I also have a bookers cash and carry card so I am buying things in there in bulk and saving lots compares to the supermarket / retail outlets.

Stopped shopping there - gone to a cheaper alternative now; downside is choice isn't as good.

My own personal view is that there is too much choice...what is it that you feel you are missing out on choice wise.......I say that, because if you cook you can make all manner of various recipes with a few basic ingredients, for example butter is butter but we seem to have six or more different butters for sale. ;)

My own personal view is that there is too much choice...what is it that you feel you are missing out on choice wise.......I say that, because if you cook you can make all manner of various recipes with a few basic ingredients, for example butter is butter but we seem to have six or more different butters for sale. ;)

Off hand I can't remember

But I remember going into the shop and going where is 'xyx' and being told they don't stock it.

Saying that the new shop has some stuff in I wouldn't find at Tesco's either which I've found useful!

I am in a remote location so choice is limited generally anyway...

Edited by Gerinako

Yes, too much choice. 7-8 types of cashew nuts. 3/4 types by the crisps, 1 type by the fruit and vegetables another 2 types in the international isle.

Oh yes, all different prices per 100g so you have to traipse around checking for the best deal.

Edited by khards

Off hand I can't remember

But I remember going into the shop and going where is 'xyx' and being told they don't stock it.

Saying that the new shop has some stuff in I wouldn't find at Tesco's either which I've found useful!

...and they tell us we are not creatures of habit. ;)

Are you planning to ride out the financial collapse completely off your head?

(I've heard worse plans. :D )

tesco may as well declare a price war on other supermarkets as they did such a fine job of wiping out the high streets.

if you want to re-gen the high street constrict supermarkets to food and essential household goods only.

simple as that.