House Price Crash Forum

The Great Euro Swindle

Qetesuesi

HOLA441
HOLA442

Great read, let's extract some choice quotes.

My favourite is

Here is the paper's Lex column on January 8, 2001, on the subject of Greek entry to the eurozone: "With Greece now trading in euros," reflected Lex, "few will mourn the death of the drachma. Membership of the eurozone offers the prospect of long-term economic stability."

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA443

Great read, let's extract some choice quotes.

My favourite is

LOL Why did no one listen to the voices of reason? Anyone with half an economic brain knew the Euro would cause economic imbalances not seen before in Europe. If Germans had though they would have to subsidise poorer regions in future as a result, how many would have agreed? I remember being asked by an Italian friend why Britain semed so opposed to the Euro in about 2005. I told him then that it would cause parts of Europe to become poorer and in turn result in subsidies on a grand scale since the automatic mechanism for dealing with it - the exchange rate - would have been abolished. I told him that it may cause great unempoloyment in certain regions (countries ) of the EU and have no real advantages. Besides, we wanted to retain our sovereignty I announced. I was laughed at.

HOLA444

The Euro has been great for UK business and tourists without any cost to the UK.

But the jerk who wrote that is claiming they have been proven right when they haven't, yet. The Euro is still standing and still worth much more than the GBP since inception, for better or worse.

Until the Euro actually collapses he should leave out the gloating, becuase they could still fix it - if they have the guts.

Edited by Peter Hun

HOLA445

The Euro has been great for UK business and tourists without any cost to the UK.

But the jerk who wrote that is claiming they have been proven right when they haven't, yet. The Euro is still standing and still worth much more than the GBP since inception, for better or worse.

Until the Euro actually collapses he should leave out the gloating, becuase they could still fix it - if they have the guts.

IT HAS ALREADY COLLAPSED BUT FOR THE INTERVENTION OF PHONEY NON EXISTENT MONEY. It is not gloating; just a statement of interest that foresaw the problems - needless ones. There is no need for the Euro, no substantial economic argument which underpins it and in fact it is damaging to economic stability, whether or not we faced this financial crisis in the current form. It's current relative value does not equate to an argument for the Euro, rather another sign of British failure since 1999.

HOLA446

The question isn't "what has the Euro done for the UK", rather "what has the Euro done for Eurozone members".

I suggest you ask the Greeks, Irish, Italians, Spaniards and Portuguese.

HOLA447

http://order-order.com/2011/09/22/oborne-has-guilty-europhiles-squirming/

From the book "Guilty Men" by Peter Oborne and Francis Weaver, coming out soon -

“Very rarely in political history has any faction or movement enjoyed such a complete and crushing victory as the Conservative Eurosceptics. The field is theirs. They were not merely right about the single currency, the greatest economic issue of our age — they were right for the right reasons.”

Looking forward to THIS WEEK tonight, BBC One at 11:45! :D

HOLA448

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Erm, no, Karl Marx isn't / wasn't "right for the right reasons". In fact he wasn't / isn't right at all.

Neither are the Eurosceptics.

Of course, anyone who predicts the collapse of a complex, cooperative system will eventually be proved right. The nutter who smells of pee and stands on the street corner predicting the crack of doom will be proved right in the end, given enough time.

That doesnt mean we hand the world over to nutters, or Karl Marx, or Conservative backbenchers (I think even Cameron understands that).

HOLA4414

Neither are the Eurosceptics.

Of course, anyone who predicts the collapse of a complex, cooperative system will eventually be proved right. The nutter who smells of pee and stands on the street corner predicting the crack of doom will be proved right in the end, given enough time.

That doesnt mean we hand the world over to nutters, or Karl Marx, or Conservative backbenchers (I think even Cameron understands that).

The system isn't going to collapse because of Conservative Eurosceptics... they merely predicted its collapse AND why it would.

HOLA4415

Erm, no, Karl Marx isn't / wasn't "right for the right reasons". In fact he wasn't / isn't right at all.

Not happy with Karl's perfomance...??? Try some Groucho instead - he seems well clued-up....

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Groucho Marx

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Groucho Marx

All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats.

Groucho Marx

XYY

HOLA4416

Since Gordon Brown was largely responsible for keeping the UK out of the Euro does that make him right too. Or do we just write him out of the story because everyone in here thinks he is single handedly responsible for all the financial f*ck ups in the past 20 years.

It's true, but it was down to blind luck :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

With modern technology, any currency could be used anywhere. They can/do even compete in the same regions. They don't need to be managed by a government either.

Yes it's something I think would apply really well to somewhere like Spain, which has highly autonomous regions, some of which require a much weaker currency than others.

HOLA4420

Yes it's something I think would apply really well to somewhere like Spain, which has highly autonomous regions, some of which require a much weaker currency than others.

It doesn't need to be limited to regions either, or it doesn't require any contiguous space; you can spend Euros in the US, Sterling in France, Dollars in China etc. Digital transactions remove the difficulty of having many different sorts of notes/coinage - you just pay and the exchange is done on the fly. In short, you can use whatever money you prefer, including what people are paid in.

Ofc, exchange risk may put some off, but this swings both ways. Why not let competition do its thing, thus letting the most stable currencies prosper?

Although the Euro was a silly idea, it doesn't mean that per country sovereign currencies are the best either. Having a (government) monopoly of money is just as bad as any other monopoly.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

If Germans had though they would have to subsidise poorer regions in future as a result, how many would have agreed?

I dunno, did anyone ask them ? In the few referenda that have taken place most of the time people say NO and the politicians say it was the wrong result. Maybe the "people" of Europe are not as stupid as people think?

HOLA4425