House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

An Italian Couple Resort To Legal Action To Evict Their Son, 41

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/22/parents-child-italian-couple-kidults

Which is why the plight of the Italian couple who have resorted to legal action in a bid to get their 41-year-old son out of their home is both tragic and an indictment of a society that has got its wires twisted over what parents should, and shouldn't, do for their offspring as they get older.

The couple – they live in Venice, but have not been named – say their son has a job and earns money, but continues to live at home and expects his parents to do his cooking and washing for him. According to their lawyer, Andrea Camp, the parents have sent a legal letter to their son asking him to leave home within six days, and if he refuses they will seek a court order to force him out.

Well if they've let him just live there and do nothing they have no one but themselves to blame. Plus what are house prices like in Venice is he priced out of the market? Rents too high for a single person?

Soon to come to the UK as parents look to cut costs and get their offspring out of the door?

http://www.guardian....-couple-kidults

Well if they've let him just live there and do nothing they have no one but themselves to blame. Plus what are house prices like in Venice is he priced out of the market? Rents too high for a single person?

Soon to come to the UK as parents look to cut costs and get their offspring out of the door?

Not all about cutting costs (although if you are working you should contribute to the household expenses so that you are not a 'cost). Parents deserve a bit of freedom after 20+ years of sacrifice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/22/parents-child-italian-couple-kidults

It won't happen in the UK - too many British lawyers making too much money on Human rites litigation :P:rolleyes:

There is a simple solution to the original problem though:

1/ Sell your property

2/ Move out, don't tell the grown-up children where you go

3/ rent for a while

4/ buy another property, possibly at lower price

Whilst this may be a bloke who is just taking the complete pish - the details above are from ONE side of the story. There are usually two sides to a story.

Maybe he doesnt expect them to do his washing up and cook his dinner. Maybe he pays them a serious wedge in rent. Maybe he has helped them out with lots of things and thinks they are treating him harshly. In many Mediterranean countries it is normal for families to live together for a long time - and sometimes forever. Who knows.

Or maybe he is just a dick. Anything is possible.

Maybe he doesnt expect them to do his washing up and cook his dinner. Maybe he pays them a serious wedge in rent.

I highly doubt he expects them to do that, if this was really true his parents could simply refuse anyway. And very good chance he is paying them rent. If I was to guess what was happening I would assume his parents see him earning more money and wanted to charge him market rate but he refused.

When I was in Britain I ran into a girl working in a supermarket and her parents were charging her market rate to live in her childhood bedroom, tragic.

Renting a place privately is only affordable if you have a girlfriend so can split the rent, bills and food half each. That's my plan for when I go live in Australia as I would never want to pay the 650-700 pounds/ month typical rent for an apartment by myself. Not only can you split rent and bills but another benefit is that I will be at home cooking the meals while she goes to work so we can eat delicious food at home everyday therefore almost never waste money eating out.

I really feel sorry for single guys living in a Western country having to pay private rent, bills and then eat out because they are too tired to cook after work or end up cooking basic meals so not get much enjoyment from it. You'd have to be on good enough pay to easily afford eating out/ takeaways often to still live comfortable.

I'd say you need to be earning at least 30,000 pounds/ year to live comfortably in that situation. But then again rentals in South West England where I grew up were crazy (same as the number above I gave for Australia) however further north in cities like Birmingham and Manchester I'm sure it might be possible to find places for 400-500/ month- still expensive though.

I wish my friend would come with me to Australia then i could go halves with him on rent as a 2 bedroom apartment is around 760 pounds/ month compared to 650 for a one bedroom apartment so that's only 380/ month each then I will only have to pay 190 as my girlfriend would pay half B) Though another option would be renting a 2 bedroom apartment then subleasing the second bedroom for half my rent.. subleasing to someone who worked all hours of the day and would never be at home to disturb me :P

I could even offer to cook for the guy and charge him half my monthly outgoings for food costs even though he would be eating 1/3 (3 people), damn this is starting to get clever B) Then I would end up paying 25% of the food costs as my half split with the girfriend :P

Then ofcourse the subletter would also pay half my bills so I'll only be paying 25% of bills. So I'd have around 1500 pounds/ month to invest in my business between me and my girlfriend's income.

Edited by Saberu