House Price Crash Forum
miko

Location Location Location

Im watching Location Location Location , as there is not much else on .

I just don't beleive the prices and I know London is expensive but this just takes the micky.

One couple have £380k want a two bed with outside space in North London , they said forget the second bedroom and maybe the outside space . They showed them a one bed flat ( did have a garden ) converted victorian terrace house on at £375,000 West Hamstead.

Couple number two have only £230k she is 30 and they think they want kids in a few years . What they have showed them I would not leave my p1ss in . A tiny one bed conversion under 400 sq feet and a two bed above a Chinese take away on a street that looks like sh-t. Why don't these people move out of London.

If you look at flats in London, apart from having the kitchen in the lounge, many have bunk beds in the second bedroom and a cot in the main bedroom. If a one bed is £375k (normal asking price) then a two bed will be £450k or £75k for the extra bedroom. How can you bring up a family in this type of 'home'?

Many people live in London because the cost in terms of travel expense and time - no win situation really.

I know but it is fking madness

This couple cannot afford a flat big enough for a couple and she is 30 ( clock starts to tick ) 22 I could understand it with 10 years before they need to move and have kids but at 30 !! How will they ever move on ? now showing them an ex council flat MADNESS !!

Odd couple. One the arty indie scene type and one primadonna type? Don't get it. Do they need the social life because they can't be alone themselves or something?

These people are first class muppets, £375K for a converted 1 bed in Chiswick. Thats 30mins west of london,on the cursed hounslow loop line, 30 minutes north and you can get a 4 detached house. Didn't they say he worked up North?, why buy a poky flat in west london?

These people are first class muppets, £375K for a converted 1 bed in Chiswick. Thats 30mins west of london,on the cursed hounslow loop line, 30 minutes north and you can get a 4 detached house. Didn't they say he worked up North?, why buy a poky flat in west london?

The flat in Chiswick is near Turnham Green tube station on the District Line and just off Chiswick High Street - great part of London if you like that kind of thing - we lived near there for almost 10 years

Couple number two ended up in Tottenham . I wonder if they got there to enjoy the riots ? Have the riots added any value ? and will they be mentioned along with any NE if they do a revisited repeat in a few years.

The flat in Chiswick is near Turnham Green tube station on the District Line and just off Chiswick High Street - great part of London if you like that kind of thing - we lived near there for almost 10 years

I know, I used live in Chiswick until 2001, and it isn't that great. Do I need to remind you of the boys on bikes stealing from the cafes, or the fishing pole robbers doing over loads of houses, or the posties that stole every second package? The train line sucks, and the tube service is sketchy. Still cycling down the river was good, apart from the jumpers washing up on the morning tide (I've seen about 20 corpses on the river).

The landlord increased my rent from 200pm to 260 so I told them where to go and I moved.

i could not believe my ears when at one point phil said, in answer to the girl saying she wouldnt comtemplate living in such a dump, you just live in it a few years, tidy it up a bit and sell it on for a profit. OMG. What a f*ing irresponsible idiot. the guy should know better. :angry:

i could not believe my ears when at one point phil said, in answer to the girl saying she wouldnt comtemplate living in such a dump, you just live in it a few years, tidy it up a bit and sell it on for a profit. OMG. What a f*ing irresponsible idiot. the guy should know better. :angry:

Yes i looked at these couples especially the couple with the smaller budget and thought how and when do they ever move on. To me they were buying into a trap .

The couple with a max of £230k buy that tiny place if property goes up and they make on the place the next place up will have an even bigger price tag and without good pay rises how will they be able to afford the bigger gap. Unless they over pay the mortgage in the next few years ( which i dought as if they could afford more they would have had a bigger budget ) pay rises used to cover a lot of that gap but those have dissapeared for most. If property drops in value they will sit there for years in NE. last time around anyone who bought in 1988 the peak went into NE when prices crashed but was out the other side when they rose by the mid 90's. With low wage inflation I think if prices crash people will be in NE for years and years to come.

The only way I would say maxing out for a mortgage was ok today was if you were buying a house big enough that you knew you were going to stay there for the next 25 years especially if you want to start a family as they did. MADNESS.

You not notice the little voiceover caveat he clearly added afterwards ?

You not notice the little voiceover caveat he clearly added afterwards ?

What? Don't take advice from a bankrupt?

Did anyone else notice that Phil Spencer's property price speculation was particularly bad this episode?

When they were taking the indie looking couple around the place above the Chinese, he said "just buy it, tart it up, and in a few years sell it on for more"

Just like that! The system he lives by is just a breaking pyramid scheme.

watched it for the schadenfreude (sp.) of marvelling at the 'insane' prices in the SE - yet it seems that is the only area they feature in L x 3

perhaps because they can ramp the high prices and potential there and not in 'the rest of England' B)

for 375 K I would want a house at least not some poky flat even if other viewers are queueing up. - why do they not live in leafy Lincolnshire (with kerb appeal) and she spends the week in London in a flatshare or whatever - seems the wrong way round to me unless she is the main breadwinner.

My parent-in-laws have a 6 bedroom detached house with swimming pool and over and acre of land for almost the same price as their budget - in Wiltshire.

Nuts buying in London! Why do people do it when they can get so much more for their money. Sure they may work in London, but the extra travel time

would be worth it in my opinion.

Edited by OzzMosiz

At work I became astounded that people could not tell the difference between 'good' and 'bad' managers. They used other signals to decide this like confidence, dress, attitude, what they told them etc. in making up their minds as to whether someone is good or not. In fact some of the worst decision makers did the best - their confidence boosted by their ignorance and possessing the cunning of stupidity.

You come to realise that most people - even those right at the top of the organisation are just plain dumb...even if technically they can pass some tests. Hence why many teachers are 'dumb' and doctors too, who on any other measure would be considered to be 'clever'.

Even those like Dimbleby - somehow they believe in the reversion to normality in life which may well be true but can take far longer than they suspect.

Hence how 'thick' people like Kirsty and Phil can sail through life astounded by their own wonderfulness without ever being caught out. They really don't understand how bad they are themseves. Their ignorance protects them.

How right you are....but still people fall for it. ;)

The thing that constantly astounds me about couples on LLL is that they are almost always willing / encouraged to sacrifice space for some meaningless concept of 'location'. Are people genuinely willing to compromise on when they have kids and how there life works out just because they want to live in Chiswick rather than Croyden?

Hell - if you work in either the city or the west end, Bermondsey isn't exactly a long commute - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30385813.html and you get a perfectly respectable 3 bedroom house. Is it really that bad living south of the river?

Odd couple. One the arty indie scene type and one primadonna type? Don't get it. Do they need the social life because they can't be alone themselves or something?

Yes.

That's usually the reason.

It's the arty farty buzz of the area though innit?!?

Yes Phill, lets buy a box to sell on in a few years when we want to start a familly, and probably suffer the drop of income with it.

Brainwashed t055ers the lot of them.

At work I became astounded that people could not tell the difference between 'good' and 'bad' managers. They used other signals to decide this like confidence, dress, attitude, what they told them etc. in making up their minds as to whether someone is good or not. In fact some of the worst decision makers did the best - their confidence boosted by their ignorance and possessing the cunning of stupidity.

You come to realise that most people - even those right at the top of the organisation are just plain dumb...even if technically they can pass some tests. Hence why many teachers are 'dumb' and doctors too, who on any other measure would be considered to be 'clever'.

Even those like Dimbleby - somehow they believe in the reversion to normality in life which may well be true but can take far longer than they suspect.

Hence how 'thick' people like Kirsty and Phil can sail through life astounded by their own wonderfulness without ever being caught out. They really don't understand how bad they are themseves. Their ignorance protects them.

"Stupid has the balls, smart has the brains."

Kirstie and Phil sell a dream that people want to believe. They are just salesman looking out for themselves.

http://www.garrington.co.uk/

"The basis of our success is expertise and trust" - trust us to convince you to spend your hard earner on any old rubbish

"Garrington offers objective and wholly impartial advice" - ha, ha, ha.

I'll always remember the episode where they convinced a couple to put in a high bid on a fixer-upper property, the EA accidentally sent a copy of the bids to the buyers who then realised they had overbid by more than £100K.

No - it's the residual effects of a decade long boom.

There was so much money/credit about and times were so good that almost anyone could get a job and do well by being a smarmy git without actually being any good at the job they were supposed to be doing.

Plus, management has always had a larger than average component of presentation and ability to bullshot. Combine that with the above phenomenon and you have a recipe for the crud floating to the top.