House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Anyone Know How To Fix A Microwave?

Hi,

I have a Delonghi Infinito microwave that I have had for about 12 years now. It is a combi oven and microwave.

I turned it on today and it went bang immediately. Blew the fuse in the plug and tripped the consumer unit switch.

I replaced the plug fuse but it is still not working. I have tried the plug in other sockets so it is not the socket.

I read online that microwaves all have internal fuses that can go and when they go bang as soon as you switch them on that it is often the internal fuse. Has anyone on here any experience of this, know how difficult these internal fuses are to change, etc.

The oven part is not working so I do not think it is the microwave magneta(?).

Someone else posted online that sometimes the internal bulb blows and this can cause a microwave to stop working - but I am sure I have seen microwaves working without internal lights.

Well, if anyone has any knowledge of these I would be grateful. Fitting a £6 internal fuse seems to make more sense than buying a new microwave but what if it is something else. Someone online mentioned a 'capactior'?

Oddly enough, 2 nights ago I dreamt that the microwave went bang and stopped working. Wish I had dreamt tonight's winning lotto numbers instead :)

Hi,

I have a Delonghi Infinito microwave that I have had for about 12 years now. It is a combi oven and microwave.

I turned it on today and it went bang immediately. Blew the fuse in the plug and tripped the consumer unit switch.

I replaced the plug fuse but it is still not working. I have tried the plug in other sockets so it is not the socket.

I read online that microwaves all have internal fuses that can go and when they go bang as soon as you switch them on that it is often the internal fuse. Has anyone on here any experience of this, know how difficult these internal fuses are to change, etc.

The oven part is not working so I do not think it is the microwave magneta(?).

Someone else posted online that sometimes the internal bulb blows and this can cause a microwave to stop working - but I am sure I have seen microwaves working without internal lights.

Well, if anyone has any knowledge of these I would be grateful. Fitting a £6 internal fuse seems to make more sense than buying a new microwave but what if it is something else. Someone online mentioned a 'capactior'?

Oddly enough, 2 nights ago I dreamt that the microwave went bang and stopped working. Wish I had dreamt tonight's winning lotto numbers instead :)

Yes. Chuck it out and get a new one. The microwave seems to have cleverly dodged the iron law of build in obsolence, but it will take revenge if you try to breath more life into it.... :ph34r:

Horse it right out the windae and get yer tighterse down the shop and buy a new one

after 12 yrs you were probably exposed to more radiation than a Japanese kipper

Microwave's are so cheap now even Wilko's do them. Also a small cheap electric ovens can be bought on Amazon for under £30.

Been cooking on a £13.99 camping one burner propane hob since I moved till I get be *rsed to get some new appliances and I'm wondering if I need a full cooker. Also have a Samsung microwave.

Also seen slow cookers for £20 new, and £7.50 s/h on the market.

Despite being a tightwad, I'd buy a new one. Microwaves are dangerous objects when not in decent condition.

Just sayin.

Yes, capacitors can go with a loud bang - I had one go in a washing machine once - it really made me jump.

Take care if replacing - see here

Maybe it can be replaced economically - see here (don't fit it to your BMW exhaust by mistake).

By the way and for your amusement only my microwave went bang a couple of days ago. When I took the porage bowl out there was this large cremated slug (no not in the porage).

Yes, capacitors can go with a loud bang - I had one go in a washing machine once - it really made me jump.

Take care if replacing - see here

Maybe it can be replaced economically - see here (don't fit it to your BMW exhaust by mistake).

By the way and for your amusement only my microwave went bang a couple of days ago. When I took the porage bowl out there was this large cremated slug (no not in the porage).

Ah, must have been the capacitor as it was a LOUD bang - I jumped out of my skin and thought the glass had shattered. So it could be inernal fuse and capacitor... unless they are the same thing.

Feck, microwaves have come down in price since I last bought one.

No need to buy an expensive combi model either as, in 12 years of owning this one, I never used the non-microwave oven or grill once.

Anyone recommend a good make?

OK, thanks all... bu surely a fuse is a fuse?

Mine went bang a few weeks ago. Fixed it with this

http://buymystuff.co.uk/shop/article_Fuse8%252FC21/700mA-0.7A-5kV-High-Voltage-Microwave-Fuse-Tube.html?shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3DFuse8%252FC21%26

They have others.

Google with this search term putting the mA and Voltage you read off the fuse.

700mA 0.7A 5kV High Voltage Microwave Fuse

If you don't know what you are doing don't open a microwave, the capacitor could have a very high current stored.

I'm not an expect and don't open the microwave unless you are.

If it went bang, there's more to be replaced than just the fuse. I doubt if it will be worthwhile attempting to repair it. You have a choice of capacitor, transformer, magnetron, rectifiers, probably a few more bits besides.

Did the magic smoke come out?

If it went bang, there's more to be replaced than just the fuse. I doubt if it will be worthwhile attempting to repair it. You have a choice of capacitor, transformer, magnetron, rectifiers, probably a few more bits besides.

Did the magic smoke come out?

No smoke.

Ah, must have been the capacitor as it was a LOUD bang - I jumped out of my skin and thought the glass had shattered. So it could be inernal fuse and capacitor... unless they are the same thing.

Feck, microwaves have come down in price since I last bought one.

No need to buy an expensive combi model either as, in 12 years of owning this one, I never used the non-microwave oven or grill once.

I'd go for another Delonghi. Twelve years must be some kind of record.

I bought a Vax vacuum cleaner last year and nine months in it started to make a loud rattling noise. Had it collected and they sent a new one, upgraded and more expensive than the one I bought. Sweet, I thought. Three months later it started making a loud rattling noise. When I called again they told me to turn it on so that they could hear it and said that they would replace it as they did not give refunds. Rather furious, I turned it on.....and a couple of seconds later the thing made a huge bang and filled the room with smoke. The idiot on the phone said he didn't realise I would turn it on for so long. I got a refund.

If changing the fuse in the plug doesn't work.

Microwave repairs kill more engineers than any other kitchen applicance,

There's some nasty shit in there. Don't open it up.

Oh you have never been had by a TV cathode ray tube! The CRT would act like a giant capacitor and would give you a whack if not discharged. I would do this with a piece of cable shorting the tubes EHT anode connector to the chassis. Important to do before removing the tube too!

The capacitors in the power supply section could get you too!

I'd go for another Delonghi. Twelve years must be some kind of record.

I bought a Vax vacuum cleaner last year and nine months in it started to make a loud rattling noise. Had it collected and they sent a new one, upgraded and more expensive than the one I bought. Sweet, I thought. Three months later it started making a loud rattling noise. When I called again they told me to turn it on so that they could hear it and said that they would replace it as they did not give refunds. Rather furious, I turned it on.....and a couple of seconds later the thing made a huge bang and filled the room with smoke. The idiot on the phone said he didn't realise I would turn it on for so long. I got a refund.

Dunno about twelve years being a record. When our previous and first one packed in last year we had had it for about 23 years. The most amazing thang was that it was a Dixons own brand thing.

If changing the fuse in the plug doesn't work.

Microwave repairs kill more engineers than any other kitchen applicance,

There's some nasty shit in there. Don't open it up.

Would that be since the reduction in numbers of CRT TVs? I can remember the days when people could get a fair jolt from the guts a valve radio.

Dunno about twelve years being a record. When our previous and first one packed in last year we had had it for about 23 years. The most amazing thang was that it was a Dixons own brand thing.

*faints*

Was it...a SAISHO by any chance?

if so, the award for a bleeding miracle appliance goes to you.

Every time I bought a Saisho I'd be lucky if it lasted me three weeks.

*faints*

Was it...a SAISHO by any chance?

if so, the award for a bleeding miracle appliance goes to you.

Every time I bought a Saisho I'd be lucky if it lasted me three weeks.

It was a SAISHO if I rememeber correctly. Bought in about 1988 and packed late last year or early this year. I would assume that Dixons learned about quaility control soon after we bought it as we bought several of their own brand televisions in the years that followed. All packed up after a couple of years.

*On quality control. It was once explained to me by a guy who was giving a course on ISO9000 which I was forced to attend. Suppose you want to market matches. Your contract with the guy who makes the matches for you would specify something like average box contents 30 with no more than 32 and no less than 28. 25% of them to break when anyone attempts to strike them. Note that the spec is for 25% to break not no more than 25% to break. That is quality control.

Edit to add:

ISO9000 means that the ****** ups are properly documented, not that there are no ****** ups.:D

Would that be since the reduction in numbers of CRT TVs? I can remember the days when people could get a fair jolt from the guts a valve radio.

jolt from a tv but death from a microwave.

jolt from a tv but death from a microwave.

With respect, I believe that's only if you have your hands inside it while it is running.

If it is unplugged you just get a nasty kick from the high voltage capacitor if you don't discharge it first.

mrpin@samsung.co.kr reckons samsung are pretty good.

edited for aggregious product placement.