House Price Crash Forum

£2 a litre it is then....

Yes the Beeb are particularly poor at explaining that side of things, aren't they?

Why that is not the headline I know full well...

Good stuff. Another round of "the only solution we have left.....which doesn't work anyway". :rolleyes:

Delusion running rampant at the BOE these days. They don't give a toss if inflation goes to banana republic levels, just as long as they keep those bloody houseprices high. Thats what we all need.

Who needs food, fuel or electricity anyway?? :blink:

They dress it up nicely - long words, grave deliberations in serious conclave, wise men and women making sober decisions, then at the end of the day they trash our currency. :angry:

Was it like this in the Weimar republic? Self-important officials making it all sound so reasonable. Probably.

Good stuff. Another round of "the only solution we have left.....which doesn't work anyway". :rolleyes:

Delusion running rampant at the BOE these days. They don't give a toss if inflation goes to banana republic levels, just as long as they keep those bloody houseprices high. Thats what we all need.

But didn't you read the softening up article about how it did work, possibly, and staved off a worse recession. Precisely the article you would expect just before the second round.

IMO, it may have saved the banks, at the cost of a lot of higher prices, but it should never be a valid policy option for a "run of the mill" recession. If it becomes one, well, we all knew it would happen, so no point in going over the old ground.

Also while there is a correlation for QE and rising/ "recovering" house prices, I suspect that the Dead Cat Bounce would have happened anyway, with IRs on the floor, and the forebearance of banks. I wouldn't necessarily expect QE to be targeted well enough to "save hard working homeowners" this time round.

It's the effective pay cut I appreciate the most - NOT. Thanks Merv, you make busting my hump at work so rewarding with your crappy printed money that buys less and less each month.

I cannot see how driving up the cost of living yet further is going to help anyone myself.

They will probably need it to reimburse our banks when the French ones go under.

Nah, the French will never let BNP and SocGen fail, they'll just be nationalized (we've seen this movie before :D )

Nah, the French will never let BNP and SocGen fail, they'll just be nationalized (we've seen this movie before :D )

Relatively recently (1991):

Credit Lyonnais:

The bank avoided financial disaster by moving its debts and liabilities into a new state-owned company, Consortium de Réalisation (CDR). The creation of the CDR was highly controversial, as many did not believe that the French government should have bailed out the bank. The CDR notably agreed to pay US$525 million to the California Department of Insurance in order to head off a lawsuit over the Executive Life insurance scandal.
To allow the bailout, the European Commission imposed severe limitations, principally on the bank's international activities, and the bank was forced to sell many entities in the following years.
In 1998, Crédit Lyonnais sold Crédit Lyonnais (Austria) to the Anglo Irish Bank.
:rolleyes:
Crédit Lyonnais was fully privatized in 1999. In 2003 BNP Paribas built a position in the capital of the bank but finally another French bank, (Crédit Agricole) acquired it and reorganised its operations...

It's the effective pay cut I appreciate the most - NOT. Thanks Merv, you make busting my hump at work so rewarding with your crappy printed money that buys less and less each month.

I cannot see how driving up the cost of living yet further is going to help anyone myself.

Don't worry, benefits are inflation proofed, and pensions will go up by at least inflation.

Of course hard work will have to accept a lower share to enable this, so get back to work.

Why don't they simply make the new notes out of soft two ply paper? They could come in white, pink or magnolia shades.rolleyes.gif

TOO EASY TO COPY WITH TOILET ROLL? Could make criminals lives too easy, although working in the city has gotten harder lately. (now that was a joke..come on!! get over it)

Printy printy to oblivion. The end of the grand fiat experiment is upon us.

May be the end of the grand alpha romeo experiment too looking at car sales figures. Like construction; diving faster than a Berlusconi girl .

Don't worry, benefits are inflation proofed, and pensions will go up by at least inflation.

Of course hard work will have to accept a lower share to enable this, so get back to work.

My full time skilled job currently does not pay enough for me to buy a house and live in it, thousands more are in the same boat as me, if everything is going to start costing more yet again then i cant see there being many working people putting up with this situation much longer.

Why don't they simply make the new notes out of soft two ply paper? They could come in white, pink or magnolia shades.

Here's a prototype from 2008.

thu106_50_million_pound_toilet_paper_300main.jpg