House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Lcd Screen Damage?

Just moved flats and seem to have damaged the screen on my LG 37" (?) LCD Flat Screen TV.

Its still viewable but there is a slight darker patch or patches on certain colour in the bottom round the corner, effects certain colours more than others (often dark colours).

Tried piddling with the backlight, contract, colour and brightness settings.

I took care when transporting it. packing it on the back seat, with a duvet and some pillows and clothes in bags, but something effected it. Funny I've moved loads of PC monitors and even smaller LCD and LED backlit TV's without problems. Clearly the larger the size, the greater the risk.

Is the screen permanently damaged? Have to admit after a while I forget its there when watching normal telly, more noticeable as a :

PC desktop.

Just moved flats and seem to have damaged the screen on my LG 37" (?) LCD Flat Screen TV.

Its still viewable but there is a slight darker patch or patches on certain colour in the bottom round the corner, effects certain colours more than others (often dark colours).

Tried piddling with the backlight, contract, colour and brightness settings.

I took care when transporting it. packing it on the back seat, with a duvet and some pillows and clothes in bags, but something effected it. Funny I've moved loads of PC monitors and even smaller LCD and LED backlit TV's without problems. Clearly the larger the size, the greater the risk.

Is the screen permanently damaged? Have to admit after a while I forget its there when watching normal telly, more noticeable as a :

PC desktop.

go into the settings and "reset to factory settings" you'll have to retune afterwards.

if that doesnt owrk, it sounds like something has pressed against the screen allowing a slight "bleed" of the LCD. at best, how you have it now it how it will always be, at worst it will get worse and eventually die. is it still under warrenty?

Is it LED or CCFL (older)?

If LED it could be you have lost a diode.. if it's CCFL I'm not sure what to suggest as I would expect that to effect a strip rather than a patch.

Either way you would probably have to disassemble your TV to see for sure.. then find a replacement and fit it. Lot of work but might save you a few bob.

Best of luck :ph34r:

Is it LED or CCFL (older)?

If LED it could be you have lost a diode.. if it's CCFL I'm not sure what to suggest as I would expect that to effect a strip rather than a patch.

Either way you would probably have to disassemble your TV to see for sure.. then find a replacement and fit it. Lot of work but might save you a few bob.

Best of luck :ph34r:

I'll do some research, its an LCD not LED.

I don't think any part of the screen has died. However running a finger across the screen shows that the light emission is very sensitive to light pressure, indeed I can "restore" some of the effective screen if I lightly press the (plastic) screen I can "restore" some of the screen, indeed it looks ok(ish) if I view from a slight angle. Its more a discolouration rather than a dead area.

I'll do some research, its an LCD not LED.

I don't think any part of the screen has died. However running a finger across the screen shows that the light emission is very sensitive to light pressure, indeed I can "restore" some of the effective screen if I lightly press the (plastic) screen I can "restore" some of the screen, indeed it looks ok(ish) if I view from a slight angle. Its more a discolouration rather than a dead area.

Does it look like a water stain? We had a TV go like this a few months ago. If so and iirc there is a thin diffuser layer (forget what it is properly called) that can be replaced. In Australia the approved dealers pay $4 for them, but a private individuals and non-approved repair shops are charged $200!

Does it look like a water stain? We had a TV go like this a few months ago. If so and iirc there is a thin diffuser layer (forget what it is properly called) that can be replaced. In Australia the approved dealers pay $4 for them, but a private individuals and non-approved repair shops are charged $200!

Yes you could say it does. I'm fairly sure its a layer above the LCD, indeed by pressing the screen very gently (its very soft) you can change the light intensity of the area.

Its like this..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1061134-marks-inside-my-lcd-tv-screen.html

Which suggests backlight diffuser issues.

The "damaged section" is very bad ideas from an alternative reality bleeding through to our world!