House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the stig

5 Bed 3 Storey House For £145K

A little bear food. This repossession in Coalville has an offer on it of £145k. That house, number 2 LE67 3LL sold in 2008 for £249,950. I make that a 42% drop nominally.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29939209.html

There really are some bargains out there, especially if you can afford to relocate and take a pay cut.

A little bear food. This repossession in Coalville has an offer on it of £145k. That house, number 2 LE67 3LL sold in 2008 for £249,950. I make that a 42% drop nominally.

There really are some bargains out there, especially if you can afford to relocate and take a pay cut.

What's the area like?

I don't know Coalville itself too well, but i don't think it's that bad. I have some relatives in Whitwick, which is just down the road from there. Between Coalville and Loughborough is Charnwood Forest, which is an absolutely stunning part of the country.

If i had the equity to be able to sell up, move and buy something like that mortgage free, i'd seriously consider it.

Pretty rough, like many East Midlands towns.

Interesting. When did you live in the East Midlands?

Personally i quite like the fact that people assume the East Midlands are a bit "rough". If it keeps property at almost realistic price levels then that's great news for me, because i adore that part of the country.

4 bed back to back terraces going in LS4 Leeds, OK working class area, not too chavvy, for 100k ish nowadays

this has led to young couples in their 20s buying some as these are clearly family-sized houses albeit with a small front garden, but well made and characterful

words cannot express how lovely it is to see run down BTL houses brought back to life by couples cleanign them , painting them and making them their own, it is beautiful and really imrpoving the area

Pretty rough, like many East Midlands towns.

According to the Police Crime Map it doesn't look too bad.

Only slightly more than where I live which is considered to be "nice".

According to the Police Crime Map it doesn't look too bad.

Only slightly more than where I live which is considered to be "nice".

What great info. I put my postcode in there and wish i hadn't!

Interesting. When did you live in the East Midlands?

Personally i quite like the fact that people assume the East Midlands are a bit "rough". If it keeps property at almost realistic price levels then that's great news for me, because i adore that part of the country.

Studied law at Nottingham Uni (the proper one) and I did quite a bit of travelling in the area (I travel Britain quite a bit, mainly for leisure). The countryside is - as it is across the country - very nice and there are plenty of decent villages and small towns. But I do find most of the medium and larger sized towns in this part of England to be somewhat, well, 'naff' with a lot of layabouts and otherwise poorly paid. There is of course some well paid stuff in the area, but those people live in the countryside! It's certainly a part of England where there is a definite rural-urban difference in people, etc.

And yes there are some cheap properties in the East Midlands... but they're cheap because of their location, usually in the aforementioned naff towns! Derby is an auction property mecca for example... no wonder Homes Under The Hammer have a property in the Derby area almost every episode! But again, Derby itself isn't exactly wonderful..

Sorry! I think you could regard the East Midlands as being a fairly average part of England all-in-all. Depending on where you're from you'll see it in a different light. I'm from the Welsh Marches, so to me it's not so brill. There are employment opportunities, but there is a lot of dross in between.

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

Studied law at Nottingham Uni (the proper one) and I did quite a bit of travelling in the area (I travel Britain quite a bit, mainly for leisure). The countryside is - as it is across the country - very nice and there are plenty of decent villages and small towns. But I do find most of the medium and larger sized towns in this part of England to be somewhat, well, 'naff' with a lot of layabouts and otherwise poorly paid. There is of course some well paid stuff in the area, but those people live in the countryside! It's certainly a part of England where there is a definite rural-urban difference in people, etc.

And yes there are some cheap properties in the East Midlands... but they're cheap because of their location, usually in the aforementioned naff towns! Derby is an auction property mecca for example... no wonder Homes Under The Hammer have a property in the Derby area almost every episode! But again, Derby itself isn't exactly wonderful..

Sorry! I think you could regard the East Midlands as being a fairly average part of England all-in-all. Depending on where you're from you'll see it in a different light. I'm from the Welsh Marches, so to me it's not so brill. There are employment opportunities, but there is a lot of dross in between.

Yes i do agree that Derby is a bit naff. The towns are generally a bit run down, but some of the villages are lovely and i like the countryside.

The garden and kitchen are laughable for a five bed.

Some real crimes against humanity took place during the boom. The guy across the road from us in South London/Surrey sold his garage and they built three four bed homes on the land. Never realised it was that big, meself. We had a sneaky look in one of them. Narrow, no storage space, stamp sized garden. All sold, all now in negative equity, but they all look like long term residents so not too painful. Bloke also put his own five bed on the market. Edwardian, very nice size but badly needing decoration. At the time asking £500k for it, this would be around 2009. Never got it and put it out to rent instead.

I've been looking into areas like this because it could be my one chance to own a property of decent size, I've just got to get over my attachment to london and travelling everywhere on tube. My concern is what is it like for brown people? Is it old english, as in pakistan is considered to be the largest nation on earth?

Are there any civilised areas in England where you can get a 5 bed detached house for 150k?

I've been looking into areas like this because it could be my one chance to own a property of decent size, I've just got to get over my attachment to london and travelling everywhere on tube. My concern is what is it like for brown people? Is it old english, as in pakistan is considered to be the largest nation on earth?

Are there any civilised areas in England where you can get a 5 bed detached house for 150k?

I see this HPC as being far deeper than I did even recently. The worlds debt problems are insurmountable and will have their way in lowering asset classes to levels undreamt of. Mining shares, agriculture shares and silver will be best investments for some time.

WTF are you on about??

Have you ever been to the bit of England outside of London? :lol:

"Old English" ??

What's this about Pakistan? Who considers it to be the largest nation on Earth? Why would that matter?

Getting a 5-bed house for £150k is going to be tough. Try some parts of the north (I mean proper north - ie not the Midlands..) You'll find the north isn't as "uncivilised" as people make out. Just avoid the obvious crap towns and cities (eg Bradford).

Just to add: I'd classify Coalville as civilised... certainly I'd rather live there than in the cr!p half of London.

What's the area like?

Thw clue is in the name.

It's in the middle of an ex-mining area.

And whilst this ex-mining town may be quite nice (I have no idea), usually they are not.

tim

Just to add: I'd classify Coalville as civilised... certainly I'd rather live there than in the cr!p half of London.

Yep. Personally i'd rather live in one of the other villages/small-towns in that area, but i'd take Coalville over some slave box in a hell hole like London.

WTF are you on about??

Have you ever been to the bit of England outside of London? :lol:

"Old English" ??

What's this about Pakistan? Who considers it to be the largest nation on Earth? Why would that matter?

Getting a 5-bed house for £150k is going to be tough. Try some parts of the north (I mean proper north - ie not the Midlands..) You'll find the north isn't as "uncivilised" as people make out. Just avoid the obvious crap towns and cities (eg Bradford).

Wow you must have been living in a box. One of the reasons I moved to london because I was fed up being referred to as a p-word everyday just for having tanned skin.

Wow you must have been living in a box. One of the reasons I moved to london because I was fed up being referred to as a p-word everyday just for having tanned skin.

Erm, you must have been living in a shit area mate. Sadly there are parts of England that are inhabited by thick people. Don't take it personally - the people there are just ignorant. There are plenty of decent places, where you wouldn't be racially abused. And no I don't live in a box... :rolleyes: