House Price Crash Forum
richc

Just Cancelled My National Trust Membership

Having listened on the radio to the chair of National Trust go on and on about the evils of building new homes, I finally got fed up and called up the National Trust to cancel my membership. I gave them money to preserve historic buildings, not to keep people out of affordable housing. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way. Any ideas on how to get the message out that they're damaging their reputation by misusing member donations? Anyone else a member and ready to cancel their membership? The number to call to cancel is 0844 800 1895.

Having listened on the radio to the chair of National Trust go on and on about the evils of building new homes, I finally got fed up and called up the National Trust to cancel my membership. I gave them money to preserve historic buildings, not to keep people out of affordable housing. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way. Any ideas on how to get the message out that they're damaging their reputation by misusing member donations? Anyone else a member and ready to cancel their membership? The number to call to cancel is 0844 800 1895.

I am wondering whether they can be legally challenged for diverting their resources away from their core aim:

"The preservation for the benefit of the Nation of lands and tenements (including buildings) of beauty or historic interest and, as regards lands, for the preservation (so far as practicable* this qualification appears to have been omitted in a 1994 change to the legal status) of their natural aspect, features and animal and plant life. Also the preservation of furniture, pictures and chattels of any description having national and historic or artistic interest."

as a charity diverting donated charity funds AWAY from what they are supposed to do is surely fraudulent in some way?

is there someone you can speak to to find out the legality of this? raise it with your MP?

edit: I wonder if a counter-campaign can be started by The Guardian?

but rather, I suspect there is cross party concensus on this - all we need really is to see the National Trust exposed for using charity funds illegally, if that can be shown...

Edited by Si1

Funnily enough, because of their stance, I just rejoined...!

Presumably you would be happy to go the way of Egypt where housing and other development has encroached on the Pyramids to such an extent that their specialness is somewhat eroded?

giza_pyramids.jpg

Funny thing is, people actually believe that building a million new hovels will reduce prices.

Why can't they just build on the land they already hold in their massive land banks?

logical fallacy, well done

Presumably you would be happy to go the way of Egypt where housing and other development has encroached on the Pyramids to such an extent that their specialness is somewhat eroded?

giza_pyramids.jpg

Funny thing is, people actually believe that building a million new hovels will reduce prices.

Why can't they just build on the land they already hold in their massive land banks?

they're not that massive, that's all

Because the size of the land bank and how much has planning are key points in the yearly shareholder brochure, and directly affect the share price. Everything else like actually building houses doesn't matter.

I'm always shocked that people in this forum think that planning policy changes house prices, they will never allow that to happen.

giza_pyramids.jpg

There are houses built up to the base of the Pyramids because they won't allow new development in central Cairo, which is essentially reserved for the wealthy. Pleasant enclaves for the rich and slums for everyone else -- sounds just like what the National Trust is trying to create.

We were going to join next year but will now not be doing so.

there are supposedly >1m empty homes in the uk.

Too many BTL Rentiers.

There will always be empty homes -- homes in the process of redevelopment, under sale, second homes, etc., and the percentage of empty homes hasn't changed over time even as the prices have skyrocketed. Sure, if some of those houses are occupied it might make a marginal difference, but even cutting the number in half would only bring into use two years's worth of the needed supply of new housing. On the whole, the empty homes issue is a red herring. Fundamentally, more homes must be built in the UK.

I take it they are applying the 'preserving the natural aspect' part of their mission. saying that this means they must oppose developments

presumably at the same time they must oppose modern agricultural methods and mechanisation, oppose the use of ANY machinery for any purpose that does not run on steam or animal power, and object to people living in the area who commute to city centres to do modern jobs - or at least if they do they should wear period costumes for the portion of their commute within the countryside, and travel only by horse drawn carriage or steam train as far as the city outskirts; all airports within 20 miles of any countryside must of course be closed down to avoid low flying aircraft intruding on the natural aspect

furthermore large grocery stores should be BANNED as well as any store shop or business sellign products that were not available prior to the 18th century, or at least they should be completely hidden under mock facades and the goods transported in closed wooden crates

this would of course do wonders for their membership subs income

Edited by Si1

I cancelled my NT membership as well recently for the same reasons as the OP. I only had it, as car parks worked out cheaper.

Anything to do with LARGE charities seem distinctly un-charitable these days.

Paying their execs £200K+ or spanking 50% of the money they raise on advertising so you can raise more money seems to me to be just plain wrong and not what I wish to donate my money to.

Thanks for reminding me. I just cancelled my National Trust for Scotland membership which I had been meaning to do for some time. I'm not sure if the NTS has anything to do with the NT vis-a-vis speaking out against planning reform but that's the reason I gave to the bloke on the NTS hotline.

Anything to do with LARGE charities seem distinctly un-charitable these days.

Paying their execs £200K+ or spanking 50% of the money they raise on advertising so you can raise more money seems to me to be just plain wrong and not what I wish to donate my money to.

+1 ;)

In 2010 there was one NT employee earning £140k+. In 2011 there are eight.

http://92.52.118.192/annualreport2011.pdf

Another gravy train..... choo.... choo...

Charity does not begin at home for the National Trust

One NT tenant has been saved from eviction, but others face huge rent rises, writes Lisa Bachelor

Sunday 22 June 2008

Two elderly tenants have been spared a sudden eviction from their National Trust cottage after The Observer intervened on their behalf.

Seventy-year old 'Bill Smith', who does not want his name revealed, and his wife have lived in their NT cottage in Gloucestershire for three years, but last week they were given two months' notice to leave. The couple, who have been tenants for 13 years, first experienced problems in 2006 when, having signed a year's tenancy agreement at £1,200 a month, found their rent suddenly raised to £1,600. At the same time they were put on to a rolling two-month tenancy agreement.

'We were told this was the only type of lease the National Trust was offering,' says Mr Smith, who suffered a stroke earlier this year. 'Then last week we were given two months to leave. The letter gave no explanation as to why, and said the National Trust would use the court to enforce their decision if necessary.'

etc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jun/22/housing.charitablegiving