House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Youngsters Put Off Work By 'crap' Jobs, Says Cipd

If none of them lasted 72 hours then the job must have been really sh!t :rolleyes:

What did it involve?

Picking orders and despatching pallets. Terms and conditions are audited by SMETA every 6 months. Most staff are non- national and there is a 6 month waiting list of friends and relatives waiting to be interviewed for jobs. We're considered locally (Newham) to be one of the best employers in the area. We just can't get the written English skills. And we do provide English lessons, NVQs up to level 3 and we promote internally. As a food operation we also provide a free and confidential health check, there's a pension scheme and an independent grievance hot line.

24k doesn't cut it these days. Thats about £1400 in your hand each month. Or in other words, pocket money. :rolleyes:

The rent or mortgage will take up 50% of that straight away. 50% on shelter, lol.

I don't think so.

24k would be fine if rent is £200-£300 per month though.

If you'll pay more for your food, I can pay more than "pocket money".

1. Pay a living wage

2. Show some respect to employees rather than treating them like cattle who are expendable

3. Provide job security by stopping the encroachment of flexi, part-time, hourly-paid casual work

4. Get rid of this managment bullying culture we have

I think that would improve most people's jobs even if they worked in a sewer.

There's nothing wrong with working in the wastewater industry. Just last week I was up to my ankles in human waste sludge. As long as you're carrying a gas monitor, it's ok.

Dirty jobs doesn't mean unwanted jobs. And, it's reasonably well paid.

A lot of entry level jobs are crap. But you do them, you show aptitude and application, and you progress. It used to be called "earning your stripes".

Everyone leaving uni these days expects to start as executives, managers etc. This is not new. 12 years ago I started as a lab assistant working shift for 12K. I was disappointed with the job after 4 years at uni. Now I'm MD in the same sector.

GTF up off your arses and get to work!

Yes, that's right.

30 workers.

1 manager.

If the 30 work really, really hard they can all be manager as well.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

As a generation we spend less on food than ever before. If you read any of the "beans & bullets" threads, you'll see people crowing on how little they spend. Yet the fresh food sector is one of the few large scale industries left that can employ significant numbers of unskilled people. So people here complain about the price of food, and they also complain about the rates of pay for unskilled workers.

BTW food companies have some of the lowest yields on the stock Market before anyone accuses us of profiteering.

Or you could take a pay cut and pay them more than pocket money. 60k per year each should do it. A living wage.

Are you being serious? £60k for a bog standard warehouse job requiring little more skill than being able to read write and remember to breathe in and out?

Yes, that's right.

30 workers.

1 manager.

If the 30 work really, really hard they can all be manager as well.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Obviously they can't but aren't all Hierarchies organised like this? How many head teachers in a school, how many commanders of a police district. It's a lottery and a gamble to progress in any career but the entry level is stamina, hard work a little guile, and of course putting your ladder up against the right wall i.e the right career with a large dollop of luck.

Most hard working people think they can be managers/supervisors/directors but in truth very few can sustain the level of performance needed in the private sector anyway. I have seen so many gob s**** over the years who think they can lead and manage but they go chocolate at the first sign of stress or get jip at home or won't stand up to clients. Many people think they can be a manager but most can't, look at a kids football game there will be one or two on each side bossing the game the other 18 are effectively only doing what they are 'paid' for i.e playing their position - they won't change as adults.

Are you being serious? £60k for a bog standard warehouse job requiring little more skill than being able to read write and remember to breathe in and out?

60k per year after tax would give you in your hand about £3,500. Pish. Take off £1,200-£1,500 of that for an average property. Then take off another £1,000 for bills, food and fuel. Then take off another £600 for car and credit card/loan payments.

Like I said, crap money.

A high earner these days should be on £100k plus, yet everyone seems to think that £40k is a good salary. Is it hell.

Edited by Wait & See

Obviously they can't but aren't all Hierarchies organised like this? How many head teachers in a school, how many commanders of a police district. It's a lottery and a gamble to progress in any career but the entry level is stamina, hard work a little guile, and of course putting your ladder up against the right wall i.e the right career with a large dollop of luck.

Or you can realise that it's a lottery and hand the rewards out more fairly because you have basic empathy and a bit of common ******* sense. You've just admitted that everyone who winds up wrunning everything is there from luck, that being the case, we can stop acting liek they are mystical supermen who need to be paid the bulk of the rewards from whatever operation they are running.

Most hard working people think they can be managers/supervisors/directors but in truth very few can sustain the level of performance needed in the private sector anyway. I have seen so many gob s**** over the years who think they can lead and manage but they go chocolate at the first sign of stress or get jip at home or won't stand up to clients. Many people think they can be a manager but most can't, look at a kids football game there will be one or two on each side bossing the game the other 18 are effectively only doing what they are 'paid' for i.e playing their position - they won't change as adults.

Erm the problem we have right now is you have to be a manager or at least on that sort of salary just to live a vaguely independent life. Compared to fathers and grandfathers who could make a do of it without running a regional division of I C ******ing I or whatever.

And there is absolutely zero need for it. The system is designed like this via the money mechanism.

As a generation we spend less on food than ever before. If you read any of the "beans & bullets" threads, you'll see people crowing on how little they spend. Yet the fresh food sector is one of the few large scale industries left that can employ significant numbers of unskilled people. So people here complain about the price of food, and they also complain about the rates of pay for unskilled workers.

BTW food companies have some of the lowest yields on the stock Market before anyone accuses us of profiteering.

But the problem is the people you employ are not paying less for food than ever before. Those on 25k+ are paying less, those on low wages are paying equal or more relative to their wages.

The bottom 50% used to take home 16% of GDP as wages, now they take 12%. Their wages need to go up via a redirection of wealth from the stupidly overpaid elites and parasites to everyone else.

I think you missed the point. You have to have a managers wage now just to pay for the basic roof over your head - thats why no-one wants to do the jobs lower down the food chain.

I think you missed the point. You have to have a managers wage now just to pay for the basic roof over your head - thats why no-one wants to do the jobs lower down the food chain.

Take away the free stuff from those not working, and suddenly those doing crap jobs get a double boost. Having to pay less tax they get more income, and taking non workers out of the housing market they can bid lower prices and win the housing auction.

100% agree Saver. I always laugh when someone thinks they are doing you a favour and you should be grateful for them paying you £25k for a 40 hour week, when average house prices are 180k. :blink:

It really is pathetic that we've come to this in 2011.

Edited by Wait & See

Take away the free stuff from those not working, and suddenly those doing crap jobs get a double boost. Having to pay less tax they get more income, and taking non workers out of the housing market they can bid lower prices and win the housing auction.

You are assuming that taking free stuff from those not working will arrive with lower taxes.

Which is never going to happen, ever.

Taxes only go up.

A lot of entry level jobs are crap. But you do them, you show aptitude and application, and you progress. It used to be called "earning your stripes".

Everyone leaving uni these days expects to start as executives, managers etc. This is not new. 12 years ago I started as a lab assistant working shift for 12K. I was disappointed with the job after 4 years at uni. Now I'm MD in the same sector.

GTF up off your arses and get to work!

Have you been asleep for most of the last 12 years , or what other reason would you give for not being aware of how much the job market has changed ?

You are assuming that taking free stuff from those not working will arrive with lower taxes.

Which is never going to happen, ever.

Taxes only go up.

Taxes as a percentage of national income can't always go up, cos if they did you get to over 100% which is impossible. That means they will fall at some point, or at worst level out.

It certainly gives buyers a lot less competition in the housing market whatever the outcome on taxes.

Taxes as a percentage of national income can't always go up, cos if they did you get to over 100% which is impossible. That means they will fall at some point, or at worst level out.

No, they increase until the state fails.

It certainly gives buyers a lot less competition in the housing market whatever the outcome on taxes.

Nope.

No, they increase until the state fails.

You didnt mention an end time, you just said that taxes only goes up. Now your saying that it doesnt?

Nope.

No explanation? Keeping pertinent facts to yourself so you can spring them into the argument later?

So how do people who no longer receive benefits for housing, compete in the market against those working? Do they all have a hidden stash?

You didnt mention an end time, you just said that taxes only goes up. Now your saying that it doesnt?

So you now agree that if benefits get cut, working people will be no better off. Good, good.

No explanation? Keeping pertinent facts to yourself so you can spring them into the argument later?

So how do people who no longer receive benefits for housing, compete in the market against those working? Do they all have a hidden stash?

No, they get put into camps.

Have you been asleep for most of the last 12 years , or what other reason would you give for not being aware of how much the job market has changed ?

Please read my other posts on this thread. You'll see that I'm hiring people into jobs with good prospects and T&Cs. So I do know the job market.

Just because it wasn't handed to me on a plate doesn't mean the system is rigged. There are people going out and taking those jobs and grafting their way toward promotion. Just very few of them were born here. Just like me.

Please read my other posts on this thread. You'll see that I'm hiring people into jobs with good prospects and T&Cs. So I do know the job market.

Just because it wasn't handed to me on a plate doesn't mean the system is rigged. There are people going out and taking those jobs and grafting their way toward promotion. Just very few of them were born here. Just like me.

Just because you managed to squeeze through the gaps doesn't mean the system is fair, either.