House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove The Sstc Game

sponge

HOLA441

+1 and i will be doing so if infact this is the case, we shall see, im just testing the water at the moment,

what are the average fee,s at the monent? thanks in advance infalting

Not sure at present as am abroad, last time I enquired it was not cheap, about £500 minimum for a solicitor plus disbursements, some would say £800 is nearer the mark. Surveys depends on if you want a brief look or full structural - £500 or so again depending on building size

Quite.

There are so few houses on my searches that have flikced SSTC and back that if this practice does happen it's very rare. At least in the areas where I am keeping an eye.

I think some flat sellers have slashed prices so the flats are selling more than the houses, I don't see them or the repos returning to for sale much if ever

In Australia you cannot gazump. What they do here is use the interest of a second buyer to force the issue on the first interested party to sign a contract. (Contracts are signed here almost immediately - gazumping just isn't possible.) The last 3 houses we have looked at, we've turned up for viewing only to be told that the place just went under contract a couple of hours ago. (So why the feck didn't you call us instead of wasting our time?!) The next sentence that comes out of their mouths makes everything clear: "I've bought a few other listings for you to look at if you have the time now." Our response is always "no thank you." The look on the their faces always suggests that this is an unexpected response. Hopefully, we are beginning to train the local agent.

We need that system in the UK, I dare say solicitors here make quite a few quid on abandoned deals although some (very few) do not charge much or anything if it falls through

Controlling the flow is as good as controlling the supply. Reduce the flow, you've done the same as reducing the supply.

Oh for the good old days perhaps when people just dealt straight with each other - I hope they did do that at least in a past era

HOLA442

If it's used as a tactic as by the EA to encourage a potential buyer that there is an offer on the table when there is not and it could deceive or is likely to deceive the average consumer and it causes or is likely to cause the average consumer to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise, then it could well be a breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

This would apply to any 'marketing or sales technique' such as a phantom buyer. The only way you will ever know if that is the case is make a complaint to the local TS and have them investigate. EAs need to keep records of any offers.

and Trading Standards would prob phone you back talk some sh1te and then get back to their cup of tea. TS is the most toothless organisation I have ever come across. First thing that could be cut to save some money in this downturn. I know someone who could prove that a garage had done him and they sent them a letter. I had another car incident and they could do nothing. Wife has ongoing trouble with an internet computery/gaming accessories place and they keep trading even after taking loads of peoples money. Visa etc.. seem to be able to beggar all as well. There is even an internet forum about them.

So in summary going to TS don't make me laugh :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

I've just checked on Nethouseprices for a East Mids property I viewed when I was in the UK earlier in the year, I did make a low offer and they said OK but then when I did some more sums I had to lower it a bit more because they had not been truthful about the state of the property - it went SSTC a few days later so I never heard again. It has never been readvertised afaik.

Nethouseprices has no record of it being sold (SSTC apparently in March, no longer on RM)

Any explanations? It was not a repo

HOLA445

I've just checked on Nethouseprices for a East Mids property I viewed when I was in the UK earlier in the year, I did make a low offer and they said OK but then when I did some more sums I had to lower it a bit more because they had not been truthful about the state of the property - it went SSTC a few days later so I never heard again. It has never been readvertised afaik.

Nethouseprices has no record of it being sold (SSTC apparently in March, no longer on RM)

Any explanations? It was not a repo

Wasn't actually sold?

I suspect some people get all excited about selling their house, go out and tell all their friends/neighbours that they have sold their house... then when the sale falls through they can't take the shame of putting it back on the market so tell everyone that they have decided now not to move.

HOLA446

I would just call agent back and say, I have seen that the house has gone SSTC on rightmore and we aren't interested in competing with anyone else, so probably best to let the other parties have the house and we'll not bother viewing at the weekend.

:lol::D

I think I would do that and say to the EA, I don't appreciate you wasting my time. If it's sold then it's sold. Under offer is one thing. SSTC infers a done deal, just awaiting completion.

HOLA447

This reminds me of another EA trick I managed to rumble them on. My partner and I were viewing a property with a local EA that had been on the market for a couple of months. We were very flexible about viewing times as the place is just round the corner but the EA insisted on us being there at 10.30am a few days later. Of course, that was when he had lined up others to view the place at the same time. We ended up not taking the place but a few weeks later we arranged to view another place but I rang rather than the missus. Lo and behold, one of the same couples were viewing the other place at the same time too! Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I couldn't help thinking the other couple were plants to make us think there was interest in the place.

HOLA448

This reminds me of another EA trick I managed to rumble them on. My partner and I were viewing a property with a local EA that had been on the market for a couple of months. We were very flexible about viewing times as the place is just round the corner but the EA insisted on us being there at 10.30am a few days later. Of course, that was when he had lined up others to view the place at the same time. We ended up not taking the place but a few weeks later we arranged to view another place but I rang rather than the missus. Lo and behold, one of the same couples were viewing the other place at the same time too! Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I couldn't help thinking the other couple were plants to make us think there was interest in the place.

They'll commonly try to arrange back to back showings just to make a place appear in demand. May not be stooges.

HOLA449

and Trading Standards would prob phone you back talk some sh1te and then get back to their cup of tea. TS is the most toothless organisation I have ever come across. First thing that could be cut to save some money in this downturn. I know someone who could prove that a garage had done him and they sent them a letter. I had another car incident and they could do nothing. Wife has ongoing trouble with an internet computery/gaming accessories place and they keep trading even after taking loads of peoples money. Visa etc.. seem to be able to beggar all as well. There is even an internet forum about them.

So in summary going to TS don't make me laugh :)

Well I can't comment on that as I do not know the facts of the cases you refer to. I will however say that TS performance is a lot to do with your local council area.....There are significant changes a foot in this area ;)

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

HOLA4410

Wasn't actually sold?

I suspect some people get all excited about selling their house, go out and tell all their friends/neighbours that they have sold their house... then when the sale falls through they can't take the shame of putting it back on the market so tell everyone that they have decided now not to move.

Doesn't seem to be, I had originally thought it was a repo but on viewing (it was empty) I discovered vendor was the relative of an elderly person who went into a home

Anyway. no trace of it being sold, I'm back in the UK shortly so will pass the door and see if anyone's inside, but it was not even fit to rent out when I saw it (I was of course not buying it for that, just to be clear!)

HOLA4411
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4412

I've noticed that 'sought after' properties in desireable areas are appearing on Rightmove as SSTC straightaway, or at the most within a couple of days of being added.

A Classic one seems to be 2 Bed Period Semi's/Terraces in Didsbury that are in 'move in' condition.

Also check out this one below - Surely the deal can't of fell through so many times in a short period of time??

** 3 bedroom end of terrace house for sale Bent Terrace, Davyhulme, Manchester **

£169,995

NO CHAIN - A deceptively spacious THREE DOUBLE BEDROOM end Victorian terrace property benefiting from cellars and 50ft rear enclosed garden. This well presented property offers gas central heating and double glazing and has accommodation arranged over four floors which comprises; entrance hallway...

* Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC'

06 September 2011

* Status changed: from 'Sold STC' to 'Available'

01 September 2011

22 August 2011

01 August 2011

18 July 2011

10 July 2011